Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There were some chairs with an evil curvature at an office. Women or castrati must have been in the purchasing dept. I hope not to visit there again.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I tried one of those at work and it was never comfortable. To be fair, it was not awful either.

I've never been comfortable in one either. I think it's basically just a status thing.

Of course, I spend most of my time at home in a couple non-adjustable conference table chairs I stole out of my dad's office and I'd swear in court they're the most comfortable seating in my apartment, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

ddrueding

Fixture
I first had and Aeron in an office long ago, and it was so comfortable I fell asleep in it while on hold with Pac Bell. Didn't wake up for 6 hours, and got out of it without any stiffness. Bought one for myself on sale about a year ago for work, and am waiting for them to go on sale again so I can get some for the house. I think the mesh/breathable thing is the key feature for me, combined with a tanklike frame and all the adjustable goodness.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I first had and Aeron in an office long ago, and it was so comfortable I fell asleep in it while on hold with Pac Bell. Didn't wake up for 6 hours,...
I bet the folks at Packard Bell never woke you up. Yep, that's how long it took them to answer phone calls. No wonder they are no longer here.

Last edited:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, we don't share the same notion of being productive at work. At least after that you knew you were qualified to work for the government. :thumbleft:

LunarMist

Are they comfortable after a few hours? I often have a comfort problem with the full-sized phones.

Handruin

Administrator
So I'm borrowing a set of these from a friend. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a set. They're pretty darn spectacular! :thumbleft:

I've been interested in the new Grado PS500s which cost the same price as those. I'm curious how the two would compare. I've not yet listened to the PS500s but I've been signing up for their giveaway contests they've been running for the past few months. They have two more sets to give away.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What the hell is up with the Census Bureau this year? The contact me every month.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
They keep asking me if I moved, changed jobs, how many hours I worked, how many overtime hours of work etc.

LunarMist

They appear more like IRS questions. :)

How many people know the number of hours they worked in a year? Do they assume you are non-exempt? I work a lot of overtime, but there is no pay for it. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have my taxes done and my situation isn't complicated so I am pretty sure I'm safe there. Specifically when they ask they are asking about the previous work week. Damn, as I type this they call again. Glad this phone doesn't have voicemail.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you sure it's the census people. The constitution says they are supposed to get a head count, not your personal finances.
I had one of them show up at my door a few years ago wanting to know why I didn't fill out the 12 page (?) questionare. I told him that all they are supposed to be asking is a head count and anything else is none of there business. I now get a one page form to fill out.
Check to be sure who exactly is calling. Or call the census office and ask them what's going on.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've been interested in the new Grado PS500s which cost the same price as those. I'm curious how the two would compare. I've not yet listened to the PS500s but I've been signing up for their giveaway contests they've been running for the past few months. They have two more sets to give away.
I'm not sure how they would compare. I haven't heard the Grados. Unfortunately there aren't any measurement graphs at Headroom for the PS500s either so you can't bench race them either (there are for the HE-500s). I'm sure there are people on head-fi.org who would be happy to give you their opinion of the two though.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The constitution says they are supposed to get a head count, not your personal finances.
I had one of them show up at my door a few years ago wanting to know why I didn't fill out the 12 page (?) questionare. I told him that all they are supposed to be asking is a head count and anything else is none of there business. I now get a one page form to fill out.

You're wrong on all counts. The headcount is just one of their mandated functions, and they simply prefer not to prosecute for non-compliance, particularly in the case of private individuals.

The relevant US Code states:

TITLE 13 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 221. Refusal or Neglect to Answer Questions; False Answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The law Time quoted is abusive and written by fucktards.

Max should be darn sure he's talking to official cencus morons and not criminals before answering further questions.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Max should be darn sure he's talking to official cencus morons and not criminals before answering further questions.

Totally agree with that.

Here in Oz, the national census is only run every few years, and there is a huge advertising campaign associated. Otherwise the only departments that want that information on a very regular basis is either the Tax Office or Centerlink...

PS. Centerlink is the gov department that handles welfare payments, pensions, etc...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just plain find the whole process intrusive. I am going to choose to make myself very hard to get a hold of, I already don't have a home phone and I don't see why these guys need to be contacting my cell phone.

We're from the government we are here to help.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Here in Oz, the national census is only run every few years, and there is a huge advertising campaign associated. Otherwise the only departments that want that information on a very regular basis is either the Tax Office or Centerlink...

You're badly misinformed. The ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) runs surveys all the time, including exactly the same type as MaxBurn is a subject of. How do you think Unemployment statistics are produced?

I'm pretty unimpressed with people's attitude overall here, you all need to think instead of regurgitating tinfoil hat claptrap that's now often accepted as 'common sense'.

Would you prefer that government operated blindly, spending money at random, or more likely, according to the whims of whichever party's in power? Where do you think empirical data comes from? I know politicians like to pull it out of their asses, but that's no way to run a country.

Government surveys do NOT impinge on citizens' liberty in any way. The Census Bureau (or the ABS) won't give your personal details to ANYONE - especially the IRS. It's an essential service that minimizes waste in the whole economy - why on earth would you not want to help?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Check here and read section (g) at the bottom.

The last time I got the 'full' package to fill out there were questions like 'how many bathrooms do you have' and 'do you have wall to wall carpeting'.

The only questions required by the Constitution, How many people live here, how many are children. See here Article I, Section 2, Clause 3.
No where in there does it want my income level.
But you are right in one respect, I can be fined for not giving a head count.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
You're badly misinformed. The ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) runs surveys all the time, including exactly the same type as MaxBurn is a subject of.
I'm fully aware ABS runs surveys all the time, however, I did say
the national census is only run every few years
... (Slight change is context, wouldn't you say).
I've only been approached once by ABS for a survey (in my entire adult life) outside the regular national surveys, so it does strike me odd that Max is getting them weekly...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
.. the only departments that want that information on a very regular basis is either the Tax Office or Centerlink...

That's what I was referring to, not the earlier sentence.

Employment surveys are sometimes/often done in sets - it's good for spotting trends, which is their main value.