Something Random

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Amazon search is really pissing me off, makes me miss newegg as they really got that right.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't see any shifting. It looks somewhat like that goofy wrong-way tilting that the kids started playing with when the 5D II videos were popular in early 2010.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
And when he feel into the life boat, he had is laptop with him!

Luckily the 2nd and 3rd in command tripped on the same rock and fell into the same lifeboat immediately after the "Captain". And the whole "I dropped the anchor to do an emergency turn and beach the ship, saving countless lives" turns out to be yet another lie, as the anchor was dropped after the final grounding on request of the Coastguard.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Are PC sales really slowing?

I guess HP looks about right after that confidence scare.

Well, yeah. There wasn't any new Windows or Office and no real change in form factor, performance or pricing in the last couple years. Netbooks were a big thing a couple years ago, but I'm sure the margins on those amounted to squat anyway. There might still be some businesses migrating to new platforms but I suspect that by now the bulk of those planning a trip to Windows 7 have already made the move.

I wouldn't anticipate an major uptick in sales until we see new Windows or some kind of drastic price decrease or performance increase... which COULD happen, if SSD prices fall enough by next Xmas or tablets finish eating low end of laptop sales.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As far as I can tell, that hasn't had an impact on retail pricing for brand name systems. I guess the big guys are eating the costs or getting vastly better pricing since their contracts to get more drives are probably a lot better than anybody else's.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Are PC sales really slowing? I was under the impression that they were steady.

I would argue that several major drivers of PC sales don't exist anymore. The modern CPU's are more than capable so that there isn't a large need to upgrade (other than the video card for gaming). Most people, in industrial nations, have or have access to computers so just getting one is no longer a driver of sales. In non-industrialized nations it is still a growth market, though. New software that require a HW upgrade are few and far between. So I would argue that PC sales are not necessarily slowing down, but rather leveling off to more of a maintenance state rather than the previous growth state. To some that may be interpreted as slowing down though.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I would argue that several major drivers of PC sales don't exist anymore.
agree!
The modern CPU's are more than capable so that there isn't a large need to upgrade (other than the video card for gaming).
agree! I don't know exactly where I'd put my finger on it, but it seems that processing power since roughly 2008 has been massive overkill for the current typical software needs (outside of gaming)
Most people, in industrial nations, have or have access to computers so just getting one is no longer a driver of sales.
seems like a reasonable assumption
In non-industrialized nations it is still a growth market, though.
agree. However, I'd add that some of that growth is likely being tempered by interesting alternatives to the traditional wintel boring beige box ... whether this be in the form of ARM based tablets or smart phones or whatever...

New software that require a HW upgrade are few and far between.
yep have to agree for the most part

So I would argue that PC sales are not necessarily slowing down, but rather leveling off to more of a maintenance state rather than the previous growth state. To some that may be interpreted as slowing down though.
Well, following the economic train of thought so prevalent of the day, and brought or sponsored to us by such prestigious institutions like the Federal Reserve ( :hurl: ) and the Chicago School of Economics ( :smack: ) , unless your trendline growth isn't continuously rising to the right at a 45 degree angle (or, even better, asymptotically), its sure sign of imminent collapse and the end of world. Therefore, I must assume that the PC industry is in the grips of a death spiral.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Of course, then again, the PC industry might be saved by an apparent acceleration in the notion of disposable electronics, accompanied by the useable lifespan of modern PC parts and components having fallen to a measurement in nano seconds, or 3 minutes past the end of the warranty period ... which, speaking of warranties, seem to be so ever increasingly serviced in ways that could only be described as a "by design" corporate policy feature ... I mean, why bother even trying to envoke a warranty claim when you can go out and replace the former part with a newer part!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I lost an hour of my live this morning trying to figure out why remote desktop didn't work before realizing that I forgot to let RDP pass thru the firewall of the targeted system. There are days like this...

I can also confirm that RDP Patcher works like a charm...once the firewall is configured properly. Together with Hamachi, it's quite powerful. Almost a free server.

paugie

Storage is cool
My youngest (a son) got married last Saturday. Some of the pictures are already on Facebook. But I already know how many of you guys will want to look at them so I won't post a link.
Just sayin'. ;-)

paugie

Storage is cool
Thanks, Merc.
It's a nice feeling when, contrary to tradition, we parents get to marry off our children without much expenditure. The kids spent for most of the wedding.
Maybe I'll get a few snaps up on Flickr or Multiply later. It was a really happy time.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm traveling to Texas this week for work-related stuff. So far the city I am in seems friendly. I'm just outside of Dallas in Richardson, TX. The weather is nice in comparison to Mass weather in late January/early February.

Handruin

Administrator
My youngest (a son) got married last Saturday. Some of the pictures are already on Facebook. But I already know how many of you guys will want to look at them so I won't post a link.
Just sayin'. ;-)

Congrats paugie. That's great they were able to provide for their own wedding.

paugie

Storage is cool
Congrats, Paugie! You're a "free man" now, no more responsibilities or worries about the kids. Good for you!
Thanks. But in essence, I've been free in that sense for the last 3 years.
But, come to think of it, with respect to my beloved grandson, it may seem to have started all over again. :)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. But in essence, I've been free in that sense for the last 3 years.
But, come to think of it, with respect to my beloved grandson, it may seem to have started all over again. :)
That is why in my culture, life is referred to as "the ocean of family life", for the breadth, depth, and unending nature of it!

paugie

Storage is cool
That is why in my culture, life is referred to as "the ocean of family life", for the breadth, depth, and unending nature of it!
We have similar cultures, mubs. AFAIK, our cultures both have instances of families/clans extending to four generations all living in a single house/compound of houses.

Stereodude

Not really a
Everyone was just waiting for you to come here and quote that famous line from Ferris Buchner's Day Off. Now that you've done that normal posting can resume.