Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Better be careful. I'll show one with my early 70s big hair and polyester leisure suit. :D

Handruin

Administrator
An interesting car day so far. Just down the street from our hotel in Palo Alto was the McLaren dealership. Got to have a look inside the MP4-12C, as well as look at an exposed chassis/engine and old F1 car they had in the showroom. Then on University Ave I was overtaken by a Google self-driving car while staring at a Ferrari 458 and Enzo.

Wow, that was a productive car day. I'd of loved to visit that dealership to see a MP4-12c! Did you get to capture any pics of said events?

Handruin

Administrator
What the hell man! All this talk of nice cars and nothing to take home to show. :) Oh well, at least it was a fun day for you.

I spent it indoors debugging a Java AOP problem from someone else's code that took the entire day. The end result being the wrong groovy library was being used for the code inside of a grails environment. Albeit a frustrating day, I learned a lot and the fix was a simple copy and paste of a jar file into the right location. No where near as fun as your day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my students has been taking certification classes with me for the last nine months. Today was her last day with me. She's heard "Lord of the Rings" music coming from my office probably countless times.

As a kind of going-away present she gave me a Samwise Gamgee action figure and an Eye of Sauron Pez dispenser. Made me grin like an idiot.

Handruin

Administrator
One of my students has been taking certification classes with me for the last nine months. Today was her last day with me. She's heard "Lord of the Rings" music coming from my office probably countless times.

As a kind of going-away present she gave me a Samwise Gamgee action figure and an Eye of Sauron Pez dispenser. Made me grin like an idiot.

That's a nice gift when someone realizes something you like enough to make it part of the theme of a gift.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wow, I watched the first video of that link and I had to concentrate quite a lot to understand some of the parts of her speech. I would expect that kind of accent from a labor worker, but not from a politician. It is not a critique, just an observation. If I ever go to Australia one day like I'd like to, communication with the locals will be a challenge at first.

To me, it's a miracle she's been able to terminate her speech without dislocating her jaw.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just remember Porsche stomped on McLaren, and killed the can-am series with the 917.
Wasn't real bad with a long tail at Lemans, either.

IIRC, those McLarens ran alum block 494 chevies. Would have been a nice motor for my Mustang...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DD:

You are talking F1 vs. CanAm. super small motorcycle engines, against 494 to 2000 HP porsches.

Handruin

Administrator
DD:

You are talking F1 vs. CanAm. super small motorcycle engines, against 494 to 2000 HP porsches.

You mean a 1400lb car with close to 800HP 2.4L V8 engines in those F1 cars? That's not a motorcycle engine, is it?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, I watched the first video of that link and I had to concentrate quite a lot to understand some of the parts of her speech. I would expect that kind of accent from a labor worker, but not from a politician. It is not a critique, just an observation. If I ever go to Australia one day like I'd like to, communication with the locals will be a challenge at first.

To me, it's a miracle she's been able to terminate her speech without dislocating her jaw.

It's not just you. She's an amazingly bad speaker for a politician, let alone the leader of a country. She's also highly unpopular, with an approval rating of about 36% and a disapproval rating of about 56%. Her government is certain to lose the next election by a considerable margin.

Her defenders point to the huge amount of legislation that her government has passed. To me personally, that is nothing to be proud of at all - excessive rules and resulting bureaucracy are a major drag on the country. I'd rather see efforts to simplify statutes, with new laws balanced by the repeal of old ones.

To make matters worse, there have been major compromises that have turned good ideas into turkeys. For me, the ultimate example was the proposed 'mining super profits tax', which was an effort to replace quantum and ad valorem royalties with taxes on 'super profits', i.e. in excess of normal investment returns. Not only was the tax going to intercept some of the money currently disappearing overseas, but it might have slowed the out-of-control explosion in mining, which is afflicting this country with an uncompetitive exchange rate and causing the collapse of our fragile manufacturing industries.

The prime minister did a secret deal with the 3 largest mining companies in the world to implement the tax. The net effect is that the the concessions balance the revenue from the severely watered-down tax, so in fact it will achieve nothing.

In other words, she betrayed the nation.

Other people have other reasons for disapproving of her; there's actually a very long list.

Her opponent in this contest is the former prime minister. He has been criticized for being a micro-manager, a procrastinator, a demanding boss and someone who does not suffer fools gladly. And possibly leaking to the media and not listening to the union-appointed members of parliament (the latter is no doubt something of a foreign concept to people in the USA).

When compared to the current prime minister he is favored by the populace by a margin of 53% to 30%.

However, prime ministers are not elected by the populace, but by other parliamentary members of the party in government. Members supporting the previous prime minister have been threatened with losing jobs as ministers or even disendorsement, where the party picks someone else to run for their seat at the next election.

There's also a lot of hatred, but most of that is from people who expect to lose their jobs or their influence if the previous prime minister regains control.

The upshot is that the previous prime minister is certain to lose, and the party will likely fracture over the coming year, ultimately losing maybe a third of their seats in parliament.

So there you go, as a nation we're just as stupid as the USA and everyone else.

Here's a legendary outtake clip of the former prime minister struggling with a greeting to China. He is actually fluent in mandarin but is having a bad day ;).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
A few days ago, Telstra Bigpond (one of the largest ISPs here in Oz) had over 3 million customers knocked offline for over an hour... (I personally was affected for about 2 hours - couldn't get anything more than access to the Bigpond SMTP/POP3 servers).

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business...millions-offline/story-e6frg2qc-1226279846104

Insider word from a friend who works at an ISP (who use Telstra Wholesale as a secondary link to the wider world), Dodo Internet had misconfigured one of its routers, causing ALL traffic from within Telstra's backbone to get routed through Dodo... (Dodo is one of those cheap and nasty ISPs that you warn people not to go with).

So someone stuffed up... (And I don't know if someone at Bigpond should be shot for allowing the route propogation to tack effect, or someone at Dodo for misconfiguring their routers).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't see where to check how many posts I did for a specific thread. Please enlight me. I suspect I must be one of the main offensers as well.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't see where to check how many posts I did for a specific thread. Please enlight me. I suspect I must be one of the main offensers as well.

If you go back one level up from here where you see the list of threads, hold your mouse over the icon to this thread and the pop up text will tell you how many posts you have.

LunarMist

I don't see how to determine the number of your posts in the thread either.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You mean a 1400lb car with close to 800HP 2.4L V8 engines in those F1 cars? That's not a motorcycle engine, is it?

Can-am was pretty much unlimited. Remember the Vacum cleaner car they finally banned? Porsche had a 2000 horsepower engine ready if Mclaren got close to their 1200 HP
917. I suspect the torque from those huge cubic inch engines made the current, highly regulated F1 cars feel like they had leaf blower engines.

Still, F1 cars have never been a joke, except safety wise. The kind of revs they have, and the gocart weights do end up with blinding performance. They have, however, been limited tires,
turbos, cubic inches, to try and keep the speeds down, and safety up.

Except for canyon jumping on motorcycles, the shortest life span of any athlete was being a F1 driver in the 60-70's.

LunarMist

I have 1260, but I can't see how many other members have. I guess it is only for the user.

LunarMist

My phone (Motorola i1) has the worst camera of all time. You may as well draw it based on my description and you'll get a better result.

I don't know about that. Before I "permanently disabled" ;) the camera in my cell phone it had a rather awful 480x640 VGA jpeg output. :alb:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The only thing I've ever been in/on that went 0-60 in 2.0 seconds, with the front wheel off the ground, or, what pretty much all F1 cars have done since the 60's:
Suzuki Katana GSX 1100 S
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Katana