Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know what a rainbow dash toy is, but I presume it's some kind of cheap plastic toy the clown gives to kids when they order something at the obese-morphing junk food chain. I'm more worried about the effects of eating all week at McDo than on you depriving children of their laughable toys.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm no plumber. What's that part for? I tought a faucet was something that controls the flow of water in a sink.

Yes, but perhaps that is the overall project title. I did some small plumbing work on my parent's house in the 70s. Never again. ;)

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
My goal for this week is to go to however many McDonald's it takes to get as many Rainbow Dash toys as I possibly can.

I know too many people who would think that Rainbow Dash toys represent a thoughtful gift and also I suspect that saying this here will piss Coug off somehow. :D
I'd have thought that Pinkie Pie would be more in demand, given her recent Chrome hacking notoriety.

I'm no plumber. What's that part for? I tought a faucet was something that controls the flow of water in a sink.
That looks like a shower/bathtub control valve.

LunarMist

I don't know what a rainbow dash toy is, but I presume it's some kind of cheap plastic toy the clown gives to kids when they order something at the obese-morphing junk food chain. I'm more worried about the effects of eating all week at McDo than on you depriving children of their laughable toys.

Well Merc is doing them a favor then. :)

ddrueding

Fixture

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It's a shower faucet. Over the past seven years of living here I must have put five valve cartridges in that thing, just about the worst design I have ever seen. To top it off the local place that was selling them ran out two years ago and I had to order online to get them. After I put one in two weeks ago and it immediately leaked through the handle hole I said thats enough I actually need to do the whole thing now. The shower/tub is all one piece fiberglass and I didn't really feel like replacing the whole thing at this time so I had to go in through the back which just happened to be in the kitchen under the counter. I'm fortunate that I am fairly flexible I guess.

For the drywall it is just a utility knife, never cut drywall with a saw.

No leaks after sweating all the joints the first time, I'm happy. Only thing I messed up was the tub spout pipe isn't level and I have to fix that. Not bad for never doing plumbing work before myself, but I have watched plenty.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

The toys cost like $1 and I usually get a fruit and yoghurt cup.

And Rainbow Dash is rather popular with pretty much everyone I socialize with. For some reason.

gallery_1641_139_42908.jpg

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
OK, in the interests of road safety I will go with the CBR with ABS.
I was going to recommend the CBR over the CRF, simply due to ride comfort.

The other option is the Kawasaki ZZR250, due it's slightly larger size and better fit for a larger/taller person, but you should still get 70+mpg on it. I was going to suggest the Ninga 600L, but it's fuel economy isn't that great even for a 600. (The 600L is a power reduced version, with slightly better economy than the regular Nina 600).

(Meanwhile I'm enjoying my avg 2.9L/100km (78mpg) on my Yamaha XV250).

ddrueding

Fixture
I think we can all agree that MPG is a stupid way of measuring and comparing these things. We don't drive until we've consumed a gallon of gas. And gallons per mile provides a less exaggerated gap in consumption:

My car does 32MPG = 0.031GPM
A good 600cc 45MPG = 0.022GPM
Chewy's 250cc 78MPG = 0.013GPM

With my 14 mile commute, that would be 0.43, 0.31, 0.18 gallons respectively.
With gas at $4/gal here currently, that is $1.72, $1.24, $0.72.

I hope you aren't planning on this purchase paying for itself in gas consumption (nearly 70,000 miles compared to my car).

I understand your parking scenario, but won't you be happier with a 600cc bike?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I really must be missing something important because to my mind MPG measures the exact same thing as GPM. Comparing two different MPG's and comparing two different GPM does the same thing in that the only difference is that they are reciprocals of each other. There isn't an exaggerated gap unless you are fiddling with the numbers because they are just reciprocals. It is like saying .5 is a better number than 2 or that it is easier to compare .5 and .25 than comparing 2 and 4. Which makes more sense is entirely dependent upon which you are personally used to and nothing else.

So no I don't agree that it is stupid to use MPG in preference to GPM. What is stupid is the concept of changing a relatively standard method of comparison that the vast majority of people have accepted and can use well to something different that measures the exact same thing with different numbers. It will only cause confusion, annoyance, and resistance to those that have to change their way of thinking solely because you like it better.

It is like changing the measurement system from english to metric. That only made sense because the vast majority of people used metric and having only one system made sense. In this case, to my knowledge, the vast majority use MPG so it doesn't make sense any more than forcing the world from metric units to english units would make sense.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In this case, to my knowledge, the vast majority use MPG...
In United States perhaps, but in Québec and Europe, it's L/100Km. I'm pretty sure sure it's the same in Asia too. I don't know about Australia. I find it easier to calculate how much gas I'll need for a trip the way Ddrueding presented it than reversing it the common american way.

LunarMist

I calculate fuel in gallons per year. Although I don't get very good mileage in stop and go traffic (avg day is 18-24 MPH), consumption in my personal vehicle is about 300-350 GPY. I use about another 150 gallons on vacations, but that cost is is split between two people.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Regarding the bike, a Yamaha V-Star 250 wouldn't be a bad choice if you want a different style. 3.13L/100Km and only cost ~4500$. You'd look a little more bad ass than on a wannabee sport bike...if it's possible to look bad ass on a 250cc motorcycle. I looked at harley Davidson's bikes, but none has a consumption lesser than 4.9L/100Km and all cost North of 11000$. Here at least.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Regarding the bike, a Yamaha V-Star 250 wouldn't be a bad choice if you want a different style. 3.13L/100Km and only cost ~4500$. You'd look a little more bad ass than on a wannabee sport bike...if it's possible to look bad ass on a 250cc motorcycle.

ROFL, that is so true. While my wife won't ride my bike (it's not bad-ass enough for her), it's perfect for me and my commute.

PS. We use L/100km here...

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
In United States perhaps, but in Québec and Europe, it's L/100Km. I'm pretty sure sure it's the same in Asia too. I don't know about Australia. I find it easier to calculate how much gas I'll need for a trip the way Ddrueding presented it than reversing it the common american way.
I have absolutely no problem with different countries or groups using MPG or GPM if it works for them. I do have a problem labeling a group stupid based on which method they are used when there is no real difference between the two methods. It is just a point of view thing and anyone that degrades someone else because they hold a different but equally valid point of view is the "stupid" one.

ddrueding

Fixture
B3, chill out. Nowhere in my post did I insult anyone. I wasn't labeling a group, just a unit of measurement.

People don't drive for a predetermined amount of fuel, they drive for a predetermined distance. And while GPM can be derived from MPG, looking at a graph of 1/x shows the problem. It mischaracterizes the cost/benefit of one vehicle over another. Going from 1 to 2MPG saves more fuel than going from 30 to 50MPG. Of course it is possible to do the math and see the difference, but why not do the math when you are doing the rest of the calculations? I know the people around here are clever enough to realize this, but the majority of the population certainly isn't.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I think we can all agree that MPG is a stupid way of measuring and comparing these things. We don't drive until we've consumed a gallon of gas. And gallons per mile provides a less exaggerated gap in consumption:

My car does 32MPG = 0.031GPM
A good 600cc 45MPG = 0.022GPM
Chewy's 250cc 78MPG = 0.013GPM

With my 14 mile commute, that would be 0.43, 0.31, 0.18 gallons respectively.
With gas at $4/gal here currently, that is $1.72, $1.24, $0.72.

I hope you aren't planning on this purchase paying for itself in gas consumption (nearly 70,000 miles compared to my car).

I understand your parking scenario, but won't you be happier with a 600cc bike?

With my commute at $4 per gallon I would be saving around $20 per week, close enough to $1000 per year, if I just count commuting mileage. If I add in the $10 per week parking saving for six months of summer riding, $1260 per year. Now obviously there's maintenance costs and new tires etc as time goes on, but the savings are significant enough for me.

I already have a 750 which I will keep (approx 65HP), if I need the performance I will ride that. But the 250cc (23HP) gives me the best mileage given that my commute is almost all steady state highway miles at 55-65-70mph. Now I can accept that in certain scenarios you would need to go to max throttle to get out of a dangerous situation (as opposed to slowing down), in that case the 250 may well let me down. But I always ride on the safer side (everyone is out to kill you), so it's usually me being overtaken by tractor-trailers more than me overtaking other vehicles. A 600cc sport bike with 100+HP is just not necessary for me in the role I envisage for it. If I was after ridiculous amounts of power to weight ratio I would save the pennies and spend 16K on a BMW 1000RR. But it would be like using a .45 on an air pistol target. Just total overkill.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
ROFL, that is so true. While my wife won't ride my bike (it's not bad-ass enough for her), it's perfect for me and my commute.

PS. We use L/100km here...

My current bike:

1979_GS750E_sweeping_450.jpg

Cutting edge from 1979 :)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Regarding the bike, a Yamaha V-Star 250 wouldn't be a bad choice if you want a different style. 3.13L/100Km and only cost ~4500$. You'd look a little more bad ass than on a wannabee sport bike...if it's possible to look bad ass on a 250cc motorcycle.

Yes the V-Star 250 would be a fine choice if I wanted another cruiser style bike. Those Harley's tend to have serious issues with handling, also with their running boards they tend to hit the pavement way earlier than most other bikes, can cause quite a mess if you aren't expecting it. This is purely for efficient transport, not for looking bad ass.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
B3, chill out. Nowhere in my post did I insult anyone. I wasn't labeling a group, just a unit of measurement.

When you attack the unit of measure, you are indirectly attacking everyone that uses it by inference. If the unit of measure is "stupid" then what does that say about all the people that are using it in preference to your method. I'll give you a hint -- they are not choosing it because they are smart. Really is it any different than attacking Christianity and watching Christians getting offended. Attacking the greater concept is attacking the people that believe it.

Next to counter your argument about the measurement. I disagree about your basic premise that people drive for a predetermined distance. If anything I drive till I need to refill and that is driving for a predetermined amount of fuel. There really is a reason that manufacturers of poor mileage vehicles advertise how many miles per tank rather than the MPG ratings (as dumb as that is because they can make those tanks any size they want). I rarely look at a trip to the store of 2 miles and say that is going to cost me .07692 gallons. I will admit to calculating much longer trips (100+ miles) by taking the number of miles and dividing by my MPG and then multiplying by cost per gallon to estimate of how much the total trip will cost. I have personally never ever calculated that cost by taking the number of miles and multiplying by the number of GPM and the cost of fuel but i'm not going to denigrate the system or the people that choose to do that because it is equally as valid. What you use is all a matter of point of view and what you are used to doing, not mathematical correctness.

At this point, I'll chill out because it just isn't worth any more than what I've put into it and I think I've made my point.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The point being that you're a little soupe-au-lait? That's ok ; we all have our days.

Bastard, what handling problems? You mean all cruiser bikes or only the light ones like the 250cc V-Star? Someone told me that a cruiser with less than a 1000cc engine is harder to control because it's too light and you are affected a lot by the wind.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The geometry of bikes like Harley's aren't conducive to fast response/handling, and their brakes aren't really too flash. Floorboards extend out so they hit the pavement when lean angle increases (most bikes the side stand would be the first thing to hit at lean) So you get a lot of novice riders that want to become "bad boys". They go their Harley dealership, hand over 10,15, 20K or more, get a bike that's very torquey, hit the open road, and then either they a) have no idea about counter steering and when they come to a sharp bend they turn the bars as you would if you are driving a car....bike does the opposite of what the rider was expecting and they go off the road, or b) car turns left in front of them, they lock up the rear brake and fail to use the front (where 75% of the max braking potential is) and slide right into the vehicle. Generally speaking of course.

In regards weight, there are 1000cc sportbikes under 400lbs, and 750cc cruiser like mine that are 550lbs or more. I would expect more wind "pushing around" a lighter bike, it's a matter of counter steering into the wind but when the gusting is intermittent that can be an interesting journey. The cross section of the fairing etc can also have a lot to do with it, and if the rider is sitting upright or hugging the tank.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've never understood the appeal of Harley's in general? Yes they make some very nice bikes, however if I wanted a big bike I would consider something like a V-MAX, a Boulevard or a Vulcan 1700.

Actually that reminds of a joke (a very anti-Harley) person me...

95% of Harleys are still on the road, the other 5% actually made it home from the dealer...

PS. My wife says this might be a consideration: http://www.coolcarsandbikes.com/2010/02/cool-alligator-motorbike.html
It's certainly stop people cutting you off...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get harleys either. I think they look nice but I don't feel the want to own one.

I still miss my Concours, that did 35-50 depending on the rider which I thought was good considering it was a 1000cc with four big carbs and hard luggage with full fairing.

One thing you might not consider on a bike; they are almost all very bad aerodynamically. Positively terrible actually.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone use salesforce here? It infuriates me that their rich text entry boxes are not able to be resized on any browser. Makes editing in the web page damn near impossible.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You can just buy the toy at mcdonalds. Well you could about 20 years ago when I worked there.
You should ask them when they get their shipments, it is usually the same day each week.
And yes, asking to speak to a manager and having the manager hold some for you is a good idea.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have to find a McDonald's that has the toy I want. With one exception, the McDonald's I've been two have had two of the eight available toys (the exception was located at a truck stop; it had four toys). It looks like they're playing games so people have to go to different locations if they want to collect a set.