Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Every year when I go vote I have to deal with hassle from the local pollworkers who keep insisting that I need to go to the OTHER nearby polling place. For reasons I cannot fathom my apartment complex is divided up between two polling locations. I actually think this is done to make it difficult for us to vote.

This year I tried a couple times to do in-person absentee balloting. Both times I visited the county clerk's office I was told that the wait time to vote would be two to two and a half hours. Sure enough, I stood there for 15 minutes or so and the line didn't move.

I have a distinct impression that there are people in my county who don't particularly have any interest in making sure that voting is conducted in a reasonable and timely fashion.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think it is more likely that your government is just incompetant.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
They're regular glasses. I got them from smartbuyglasses.com. I just needed my prescription and my pupilary distance to order them.

Locally the frames were $300 and the lenses I need were another $250.

How did you find these? Did you buy any more since?

Mercutio

There are bunches of online glasses outfits. I go to WalMart for my eye exams and tell the people working there that I plan to order my glasses on the internet. They give me all the relevant measurements and then I go shopping. The most recent pair I purchased from a company called FramesDirect.com. They weren't quite as cheap, but they had the frame I wanted.

I'd definitely go that route again. The savings is substantial.

Handruin

Administrator
There are bunches of online glasses outfits. I go to WalMart for my eye exams and tell the people working there that I plan to order my glasses on the internet. They give me all the relevant measurements and then I go shopping. The most recent pair I purchased from a company called FramesDirect.com. They weren't quite as cheap, but they had the frame I wanted.

I'd definitely go that route again. The savings is substantial.

I have a hard time with finding the right frames for glasses. Given my prescription strength, I need to be careful of size of the frame specifically with regard to the total width and bridge width or else they become coke bottles at the edges really fast. I once went to one of the commercial places in the mall because they had a sale thing happening. The way they fitted me with the frames, the outer-most edges where incredibly thick in the glasses to the point where I'm surprised someone didn't call and ask me to come back in to find a new frame. It must have been close to a half inch even with the high index polycarbonate lenses. I ended up leaving them there and went elsewhere for glasses. They were none too happy that I asked for a refund before even taking them home with me. I found that a 47mm eye piece with a 19mm bridge with a 147mm arm is what keeps this from happening. Prior to this experience I really didn't understand what the numbers meant. I need to go make an appointment to get an eye checkup and look into getting new glasses.

Handruin

Administrator
I got my vision fixed with a laser about 5 years ago. I would easily do it again.

How often does a person need to have it redone? I feel like every year I need a new prescription for glasses. If I went and had the laser treatment done, I'd be worried I'd need to do it again in a few years. I know others who have done it. Was it hard to go through or any problems afterward?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The number I heard was every 10 years. My right eye has degraded a bit, but not enough that I need to have it corrected.

The procedure wasn't terrible and is over in a couple minutes. The recovery is about 2 weeks. After the operation I went home and slept for few hours. After I woke up my vision was perfect. They gave me special sunglasses to wear outside for the two week recovery and a shield to wear when sleeping. You can't rub your eyes for the two weeks.

I didn't experience any problems. Though, there is always a possibility of problems.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had lasik done back in 2002 and it was totally worth it, 20/15 till now. My right eye is a little off now but I think I can go a couple more years at least.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't smell anything around the legs. Perhaps there is a little something nearer the top, but my sense of smell is not the greatest. It seems that you may be rather sensitive. It is probably inherent and there is nothing that can be done. :(

Mercutio

For what it's worth, I'm at -12.5 and -16 diopters, respectively. My right eye actually can't be corrected to 20/20 with just lenses. I'm almost to the point that I'd have to wear contacts with glasses to have fully correctable vision.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
While on the subject of vision, the big problem with lasik is that what you'll gain for distance vision you'll sacrifice for close-up vision. It's much more important for me to be able to do fine work without magnifiers or reading glasses than it is for me to be able to read street signs. In fact, I have zero problems cycling despite having ~20/200 vision (last it was checked which was probably in college IIRC). On the flip side I can still focus on anything about 6 inches away.

LunarMist

Is the stuff you take commercialized yet or not? Because it seems to be good stuff. There's money to make there.

What stuff? I'm not the one with the hypersensitive olfactory. Anyway, the post was in the wrong forum. :oops:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
While on the subject of vision, the big problem with lasik is that what you'll gain for distance vision you'll sacrifice for close-up vision. It's much more important for me to be able to do fine work without magnifiers or reading glasses than it is for me to be able to read street signs. In fact, I have zero problems cycling despite having ~20/200 vision (last it was checked which was probably in college IIRC). On the flip side I can still focus on anything about 6 inches away.
I'm truly thankful I'm shortsighted, and feel much like jtr. I've seen people with normal vision become long-sighted past the age of 40 and struggling to read if they didn't have reading glasses with them. My preferred mode of reading fine print, including newspapers, is to read without my glasses; I do just fine. i DO HAVE READING PRESCRIPTION IN MY LENSES, BUT

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not very good at typing. Something happened, and the incomplete message got posted. I went back in and edited, completed the post, and it kicked me out saying max 5 mins allowed for edits. Anyway the gist of my msg is complete, so I won't bore y'all more!

Handruin

Administrator
I can't say I have much use for twitter, but these are pretty damned funny

I saw the reference to the post "I Went Through A Lot Of Puberty" on Reddit the other day. That one was funny, but the rest is kind of meh. I thought the twitter account for THE UNIVERSE was clever and more interesting. This guy decided to follow hash tags where people complained or asked The Universe for help. Unknowingly to those people, this guy started answering their calls with his twitter account making it seemed like The Universe was answering. As you suggested before this is still not useful but entertaining.

LunarMist

Prison for smoking pot, riding a skateboard, graffiti, and loitering? FYI it's a joke.

"Past times include: buying and selling drugs and related paraphernalia, using drugs as well."

Not funny at all. Around here sales is usually a serious charge.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
No matter who won, the next Prez would have a lot of problems. Obama inherited them in his first term. Looks like he'll continue to have to deal with them for a second.

LunarMist

No matter who won, the next Prez would have a lot of problems. Obama inherited them in his first term. Looks like he'll continue to have to deal with them for a second.

Hopefully the last president I ever see anyways.

Mercutio

The election went relatively well from my point of view. Mourdock and Akin were both (deservedly) defeated and Maryland and Washington state voters affirmed that gay people have rights after all. The thing that would have had me dancing in the streets, though, was the Bachmann-Graves race in Minnesota's Sixth Congressional District, which by all accounts is gerrymandered to be the safest Republican seat in the state. She won by only hundreds of votes. Michelle Bachmann is a ranting loony in desperate need of prescription medication and some electroshock therapy and I have to say that I'm disappointed that she'll be returning to Congress.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Basically, this election was a referendum for the GOP to dump the Tea Party nut cases, as well as embrace things like clean energy, public transit, sustainable development, and economic issues which matter to the middle class (hint-that doesn't mean cutting taxes on the rich). If they don't do these things, I predict they'll dwindle to a small minority party. I used to vote mostly straight GOP back when the party largely stood for fiscal discipline plus reasonable limits on entitlements. Bush II pretty much ended all that with huge budget deficits to finance two wars, corporate welfare, including billions of indirect subsidies to oil companies, massive cuts to things which matter to people in cities like mass transit, etc. To add insult to injury, you also have a significant minority in the party (i.e. Mourdock) hell bent on turning the US into a theocracy. The GOP is totally unrecognizable from the party I once embraced. At the same time, the Democrats have largely shed the welfare baggage which turned off a large contingent of middle class voters.

If you ask me, I think Obama's only major mistake during his first term was tackling health care first. He wasted an enormous amount of political capital getting health care reform passed while not doing anything of major substance for the middle class. Had I been in his shoes, I would have first tackled infrastructure, including massive outlays for a national high-speed rail network and connecting local transit. This would have helped the budgets of middle class voters, including those in red states. He might then have had sufficient political capital/support left to pass health care reform with support from both sides. As things went, once health care reform passed, any chance of coming to compromise on other issues went right out the door. Basically, in the second half of his first term, if Obama was for it the GOP was against it. Now that we've let these problems fester for a few more years, it'll be that much harder to fix them. What happened here on the East Coast should be a wake up call that infrastructure and transportation which is not cars are both very important.

Mercutio

The only way that HCR was going to happen was by spending all of that political capital. If you ask me, it still didn't happen since we do not yet have single payer but rather a big wet sloppy blowjob for the insurance industry. Any improvement is better than none, and it's not like we could stand to wait another 16 years to address the issue.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Someday, I'll have to stop making service calls after my regular work hours. A body can only take 4-hour rest per night, every day of the week, for a certain amount of time. I feel I'm mining my health for pocket change.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC from my military days, a physically fit and well feed person can survive at high performance levels on only 4 hours per night for a maximum of 5 days. After which, there is a rapid loss of performance (primarily mental), at which after 10-14 days of only 4hrs sleep, the person is basically a zombie... ;P Hence even the military recommends a minimum of 6-8 hours per day depending on workload at the time.