Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm pretty sure that they law doesn't require them, but there are so many "set-up crashes" where people were being forced into situations with huge liability and corrupt cops that dash-cams were the obvious defense.

The driving is pretty crazy. Keep in mind that perhaps 10% of people have cars these days, and 50% of them didn't a decade ago.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Those videos make my case that about 90% of the population has no business driving. Drivers are nearly this bad in NYC, except the commercial truck drivers are better. Cars plowing into pedestrians on sidewalks are a pretty regular occurrence, sadly.

No crashes, but typical asshat NYC driver moves

More

And still more

Not as crazy as Russia, but then again we don't consume as much vodka.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The intention was not to diss Russia. What amazes me is that in most or all the incidents, there are no injuries. I don't know if the selection of the accidents was purposely made that way.

Some clips I've seen indicate China is nearly as bad.

India is close. Ranks about 12th in vehicle population, but #1 in road fatalities. Only saving grace is cities are so congested speeds are much slower. But the same stupid behavior is evident. One big reason is 50 bucks (about USD 1) will get you a driving licence without a test. People think if they know how to pop a clutch they know how to drive. Nobody realizes technical ability to operate the machine is not the same as being a competent driver on roads. I think about 1% of the driving population really knows how to drive properly. Typically these are people who've lived abroad for a bit and are more disciplined.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The intention was not to diss Russia. What amazes me is that in most or all the incidents, there are no injuries. I don't know if the selection of the accidents was purposely made that way.

Some clips I've seen indicate China is nearly as bad.

India is close. Ranks about 12th in vehicle population, but #1 in road fatalities. Only saving grace is cities are so congested speeds are much slower. But the same stupid behavior is evident. One big reason is 50 bucks (about USD 1) will get you a driving licence without a test. People think if they know how to pop a clutch they know how to drive. Nobody realizes technical ability to operate the machine is not the same as being a competent driver on roads. I think about 1% of the driving population really knows how to drive properly. Typically these are people who've lived abroad for a bit and are more disciplined.

Do they have a lot of manual transmissions there still?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Auto trans in India are still a rarity, and expensive. People are still mentally tuned to driving sticks. There is a limited choice on auto trans; most lower end are 4-speed and have horrible mileage figures. Fuel is really expensive here (unlike the US), so that limits usage as well. It is more commonly available in the higher end cars sold here - Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Jag, etc. But those are out of reach the upper middle class due to their astronomical prices.

ddrueding

Fixture

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know a few of those. We've had some interesting discussions about it.

I have some students like that. 9/11 truthers, guys who say Obama is a Pakistani-national Mossad double agent. The really hilarious thing is that there are so many weird double-backs built in to their theories that none of it is even remotely coherent. Someone with that mindset thinks a person really can be a communist/fascist/anarchist serving international banking, OPEC and the Catholic Church all at the same time.

Mercutio

That's some quality randomness right there. Thanks Chewy.

I'm pleasantly surprised with SanDisk's RMA service. They turned around an RMA on a 64GB microSD card in a little less than 48 hours including all the transit time.

LunarMist

Does anyone use the Amazon for computer stuff? They have some special Amazonian Prime 2nd day shipping too. Is that any good and worth the cost?

Handruin

Administrator
Does anyone use the Amazon for computer stuff? They have some special Amazonian Prime 2nd day shipping too. Is that any good and worth the cost?

Yes, many times. I prefer them to newegg because if I get a drive DOA they'll pay return shipping. I also pay for prime and use it frequently. It's worth it if you buy frequently enough from amazon and even more so if you use their video streaming service.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, many times. I prefer them to newegg because if I get a drive DOA they'll pay return shipping. I also pay for prime and use it frequently. It's worth it if you buy frequently enough from amazon and even more so if you use their video streaming service.

Yes, all of this. Probably $15k/mo all with free 2nd day shipping.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I also use Amazon prime. Last month I bought a large de-humidifier and had it delivered 'next day' for $2.99. It arrived the next morning at 11 AM.

Mercutio

I buy about 90% of everything except groceries and clothes from Amazon. It's not unusual for me to get deliveries every day of my work week.

ddrueding

Fixture
I hope you got some kind of rewards card in use with that quantity of spending. ;-)

Nope. For that you don't even get a "thank you" e-mail. But the fact that there has _never_ been an issue with an order from Amazon.com (not talking about the other vendors listed on their website, I don't deal with them if I can help it) at that volume is pretty amazing.

Handruin

Administrator
Nope. For that you don't even get a "thank you" e-mail. But the fact that there has _never_ been an issue with an order from Amazon.com (not talking about the other vendors listed on their website, I don't deal with them if I can help it) at that volume is pretty amazing.

Why not get an amazon card and earn the 3x points. You'd bank some serious cash after a few months even if you give it back to your employer...maybe split the savings?

Handruin

Administrator

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have always been able to track my orders from Amazon. Usually the tracking number shows up in an email. What does this have to do with Prime?

Mercutio

Tracking is occasionally not an option if Amazon is using a small, local carrier. Every once in a while I get an Amazon Delivery from some stoner in a 20 year old Camry, but he'll have a badge on that says he works for some Courier company I've never heard of in any other context than handing me packages from Amazon.

LunarMist

How long did you wait after ordering to track the package?

I ordered on Sunday and checked on Monday and Tuesday, but there was no data. Now suddenly tracking shows that it left a facility this morning (no time) and then was tracked to delivery this afternoon, which appears to consist of a heave against the door.