Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Stereodude, I don't know what's going wrong for you, but Libre Calc is asking me every time I try to open a text file with Calc. In fact, it's better than Excel, which now always assumes comma separators when opening a CSV file. This burned me just the other day, when I tried to open a file where the separators were tabs.
Oh, you've got to be kidding me... If I have Calc open, and I go to the menu bar and pick file, open, and then select my .txt file it opens fine asking me how I want to delimit the file. However, If you do a *.txt in the filename box to limit your selection choices it changes the file type from *.* (or whatever else you picked) to Text (*.txt) and then proceeds to open the file in Write... :cursin:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Your link gave me "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

When I tried Download / Main Installer it offered me a .MSI from http://tdf.mirror.uber.com.au

Using http://tdf.mirror.uber.com.au directly allowed me to click to a directory from which I could download the .MSI

Maybe the Aussie site will work for you also :-D

Alternate mirror: http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/tdf/libreoffice/stable/4.2.1/win/x86/ (This is the main mirror on the Australian Academic Research Network infrastructure).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Oh, you've got to be kidding me... If I have Calc open, and I go to the menu bar and pick file, open, and then select my .txt file it opens fine asking me how I want to delimit the file. However, If you do a *.txt in the filename box to limit your selection choices it changes the file type from *.* (or whatever else you picked) to Text (*.txt) and then proceeds to open the file in Write... :cursin:

Unfortunately, this is a historical thing that dates back to StarOffice 3.x something... Way back then calc, writer, base,etc where all contained in single binary, and the open dialog was therefore common to all applications. The Open dialog, based on the type selected (in the file extension drop down) not only defined what the file type was, but also which component was to service the file. That way, if in writer, you could select to open a spreadsheet and it would open in calc! Unfortunately this little nugget broke down when dealing with text files that contained spreadsheet data, just like you're attempting to do... (And this is the major problem of using a file extension as the only marker for the type of data contained in a file).

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, I know they can be hidden most of the time. I did that on my work laptop also. That doesn't mean I should want to use it though.

If there are more reasons to not use it that makes sense. The two you listed weren't enough for me personally to not use it since the bloat isn't really noticeable and the ribbon menu was easily hidden. I do notice that the UI interaction suffers lag in Excel when Folding @ home is running on my GPU.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I hated the ribbons in the beginning, but have gotten used to them now in Office 2010. I still prefer the Office 2003 interface though; once the toolbars were customized, I could do 95% of what I needed without going to the menus.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Funny how they really didn't have a choice if they wanted to go for "fastest car". VAG controls the best track for such things and wouldn't let Hennessey in (best described when Top Gear did the Veyron SS). The only alternative was to build a car that could get up to those speeds and back very quickly indeed.

They could have gone to Bonneville Salt Flats.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They basically coerced me into having the sorcery. Apparently I'm only 33%, so it's not quite clear how the outcome will be. So far, it's worse than when I was crushed in the car accident. :puke-r:

LunarMist

When all else fails, sorcery works, I guess. Best wishes.

No, it was a legit medical procedure. They sliced me up and everything.
Recovery is difficult by myself. At least they took all the tubes out. I should have rigged up some seatbolts for the toilet.

LunarMist

I had someone agree to fly in on travel. It was less than 10,000 miles out of the way, but still a hassle.

LunarMist

I thought a singularity was when a black hole got out of control on Saturday night. :confused:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'll already sign up for this one. It is clearly the superior choice.

Think about how often your car or your phone needs fixed and how often operating systems need to be patched. Would you really trust human technology at its present level with your consciousness?

"What's wrong with your hand today, robodrueding?"
"I got some sand in it and now only my pinkie-finger actuates properly. I need to have someone else take it completely apart and clean it out because of course the last critical firmware update hosed my fine iris control and I can't see details for crap."

Because you know it would be just like that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That must be some hangover.

For some reason I am reminded of the words of Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Harvey Kellogg in "The Road to Wellville." I will share with you his wisdom:

[video=youtube;l8Hoz5574VA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Hoz5574VA[/video]