Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I use a resolution of 1280x1024 which is the largest that my Dell UltraSharp 1703FP (Goodwill find for about $10, excellent condition and picture quality and it also has the special swivel base and the USB hub) will handle.

Also, got a bit more money today. Bought a couple of cases for my Moto G (which I have to take to my local Verizon store to have the phone-in-box lock removed because the shipdits that sold it to me didn't remove it when it shipped), had a bit of buyer's remorse for blindly buying the GT730 when I now would have had enough money to get a GTX750Ti (although to be fair the extra money was not expected), and proceeded to dump the rest of the money on a mechanical keyboard.

This little bugger. The price, as well as the backlighting, pleasing looks, positive reviews, and function keys all caught my eye. I don't consider myself much of a gamer but I did enjoy the tactile feedback that a mechanical keyboard provides. I don't think I've ever used one with switches like these before. Amazon has historically had an excellent return policy so worst case scenario is that I return it and buy something else that costs $80. I'm not crazy about the color, I would have preferred blue, but it'll do. At least the backlights are a neutral white. And it even has the wrist-rest thingy that I kind of always liked but never got to use often.

I have a feeling that keyboard is going to last longer than the graphics card would have anyway. If I bought the GTX750Ti I'd probably have to swap my PSU too and I didn't have QUITE enough money to do all that.

I bought more than one case in case one decides to break. I would have bought an Otterbox but the specific model I wanted wasn't available on Amazon for whatever reason.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The only reason that should matter is if you are mixing DSLR video with content from cine cameras.

I admit to not knowing about the framing rate used for recording the video games. Just ignore my comments. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I admit to not knowing about the framing rate used for recording the video games. Just ignore my comments. :)

It's not typically about what frame rate games are recorded at, it's typically (on the PC) how fast the video card can redraw the screen given the complexity and difficulty the gaming engine puts on the graphics system. There is of course exceptions when crappy gaming ports cap frame rates at 30FPS due to console limitations. The gamer can also be limited by the capabilities of their monitor. Some high-end gaming monitors advertise 144Hz screen refresh but you need to have ample graphics card performance to sustain this refresh rate. High frame rates can be very useful for competitive gaming in first person shooters like Counter Strike GO.

LunarMist

It's not typically about what frame rate games are recorded at, it's typically (on the PC) how fast the video card can redraw the screen given the complexity and difficulty the gaming engine puts on the graphics system. There is of course exceptions when crappy gaming ports cap frame rates at 30FPS due to console limitations. The gamer can also be limited by the capabilities of their monitor. Some high-end gaming monitors advertise 144Hz screen refresh but you need to have ample graphics card performance to sustain this refresh rate. High frame rates can be very useful for competitive gaming in first person shooters like Counter Strike GO.

Oh, I thought it was like that Avatator movie.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So I think we can say both my RAM and CPU are good. Both just ran at 100% utilization for 6 days straight (folding) while I stayed in the hospital with dad, who had developed a perforated ulcer. We just got home today, all is about as well as you could expect.

LunarMist

That's terrible. :( I hope there aren't many complications and he can make a full recovery.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
All that's left to do now is heal. I moved back upstairs so I can get him whatever he might need. He can walk and all that, but he's not particularly steady so he's using a walker for the time being. Hopefully once he gets off this liquid diet he can put all that weight he lost back on. A healthy weight for him is about 180 pounds, he's currently 140 after his ulcer started eating away at his appetite and all this stress came to a head. As an aside, everything he's lost, I've gained. I was always a thin child, people sometimes thought I was anorexic or wasn't being fed but the truth of the matter is that the ADHD meds I was on completely sapped any appetite I had. I was 160 a month before we moved back down here -- I'm about 185 now. Not that that's a bad thing -- going off of Dad's healthy weight and all that, I'm about the same height as him so my healthy weight should be somewhat similar to his.

The really frustrating thing is that he told his doctors that he had an ulcer for months and they did nothing, literally NOTHING. I am nuclear pissed at the moment.

LunarMist

Ultimately people need to take some active role in their own health. Had he been diagnosed with H Pylori or was there another cause?

It's natural for young people to be thinner. Most all people gain weight with age until around 60 IIRC.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
His family doctor had him on 2 medicines (meloxicam and baclofen) for rheumatoid arthritis, each of which can cause ulcers on their own. We didn't know this until after all this. Add in all the recent stress and it's a wonder it wasn't even worse.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was 160 a month before we moved back down here -- I'm about 185 now. Not that that's a bad thing -- going off of Dad's healthy weight and all that, I'm about the same height as him so my healthy weight should be somewhat similar to his.
Weight gain can be a physical response to stress just like weight loss. Merc could probably write a book about it (in fact, combining all of his Pub&Brewery posts from 8-to-12 years ago would make quite a volume). Gaining 25lbs without doing some intense physical exercice like heavy weight-lifting surely isn't very good for your health. The others will probably tell you that I'm the local training-nazi and I won't really argue this. I suggest you watch some of Athlean-X videos to help you manage your weight gain and know what kind of training you can do, even without any equipment, to evacuate some of the stress and frustration that seem to fill your life these days.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hey, I'm quite far in my "middle years" and I've started to integrate crossfit exercices to my training just three weeks ago. If I can motivate myself to keep beating up my old and worn body, so can you.

BTW, crossfit is by far the hardest training I've done in my life. I don't think it's just because of the age. If done like it's supposed to be (giving everything you have), it's like a trip in Hell. But it pays.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'll give it the good ol' college try but I'm not expecting wonders.
Exercise or some time type of physical training is not just for weight loss and does not necessarily always result in weight loss. However, it is also very good for the process of managing stress. Hence, a small amount of Coug's suggestion might just make you feel less anxious about the troubles you're enduring. Sleep is also an important part of this process.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
What's a normal load temperature for you guys? I.E. while folding? My core temp only gets up to 69C, and hovers somewhere in the 30C range while mostly idle. Meanwhile my graphics card always seems to run hot -- it's idling at about 55C right now.

I've heard somewhere that as long as it doesn't go too far over 80C it's fine. Is this true?

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with the comments made regarding exercise. It's helpful on so many levels and not just weight loss. I find that increased confidence may also be obtained from increasing physical activity especially if it reduces weight or increase muscle mass.

Handruin

Administrator
What's a normal load temperature for you guys? I.E. while folding? My core temp only gets up to 69C, and hovers somewhere in the 30C range while mostly idle. Meanwhile my graphics card always seems to run hot -- it's idling at about 55C right now.

I've heard somewhere that as long as it doesn't go too far over 80C it's fine. Is this true?

Depends on the graphics cards. I run my GTX 980s constantly with F@H so I set their fan speeds to much higher RPMs to keep them as cool as they can. They typically hover in the 60-65C range. I don't care about noise when I'm away from home. When I'm home working at the system I stop F@H and turn down the fans to either silent or stopped and at idle they still hover in the 65C range (with either no fans spinning or very minimal 500RPM or less).

Depending on the card even if it gets to 80C many newer cards will throttle to protect themselves.

LunarMist

Anyone ever have the Hotchkiss lymphoma? Supposedly that is the "good" kind of disease, with some possibility of survival. It still sucks for a 30-something victim. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
My computer choices are totally sane. These guys, they're the crazy ones. I only have ~60% of that...

[video]https://youtu.be/nQRunV2pBVU[/video]

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
dd, I don't really understand the point of that machine except to be ugly and waste electricity. And that ugly-ass chassis doesn't even have places to put proper amounts of storage.

Anyone ever have the Hotchkiss lymphoma? Supposedly that is the "good" kind of disease, with some possibility of survival. It still sucks for a 30-something victim. :(

I know of a survivor. Are you worried about yourself or about some other person?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So apparently sub-$100 brand-new 1080p displays are a thing now. Newegg in particular has several from several manufacturers, and Amazon has a notable entry from Acer. Of course, these are all 21.5" or less in size, but at the distances I'm viewing a monitor from (that is, 1 foot or less due to space limitations of my desk) it should be more than satisfactory. I am seriously being tempted by these, might have to grab one when I finally get off my lazy butt and get a job. And a new keyboard. My god, do I need a new keyboard. The mushiness is at an all-time high and I just cleaned it last week. It's clear -- mechanical or bust for me now. I have a free Logitech K360 wireless keyboard coming my way and the tactile response is a bit better on that but the key travel is abysmal. Still, for free I really can't knock it. The lack of a standard function key layout (Home, End, Delete, Insert, PgUp/Dn) kind of turns me off from it but I guess it could be worse, as the keys are in fact there, just not in the place I want them.

I noticed a few stuck pixels on my old Ultrasharp and to be frank I've been looking to upgrade for no small while now. I just had more important things to upgrade first. If only I hadn't spent eighty dollars on a phone (and case for said phone) that won't call anyone because the phone in box lock is unremovable... and that I can't return even for a partial refund!

I did finally get a good phone that will call people. The Moto E (2nd generation) is definitely a good contender for the low-budget phone market, despite lacking an HD front-facing camera (the first generation model omitted a front-facing camera, period), notification light and flash LED. It offers more than it doesn't, being powered by functionally the same hardware as a Moto G with a 540x960 screen (honestly, I don't notice a difference between it and 720x1280). It offers a microSD slot that the Moto G I had lacked, and this is 4G LTE capable (my Moto G was only 3G). The battery doesn't last quite as long as a Moto G but it still lasts more than a day for me.

Overall I'm happy with it, but I hate how Lollipop handles Chrome tabs in the Recent Apps view. It's a horrible kludge. I obsessively clear apps from that list but I don't really want to close my Chrome tabs with it. Probably nitpicking here, but it's more than a minor annoyance for me. I'm also not happy with the case availability for it. No big names here. I'm stuck taking a gamble on what is probably a cheaply-made Chinese case in the hopes that I won't shatter the screen of my phone if I drop it.

TL;DR: I need to get a job so I can provide the things I want for myself instead of complaining about not being able to here.

Also, got my state ID. I'm an organ donor now, whoopie! Basically I figure that if I'm dead my organs aren't going to do me any good, so I might as well give them to someone who can use them.

Dad's doing much better as of late. He should get his staples taken out this coming Monday and that should be the last we hear about his ulcer. He's eating a lot better, too. We're probably going to end up suing his family doctor for malpractice because he not only upped the dosage of the ulcer-causing medicines, he also put him on the second one to begin with. And completely brushed Dad off when he asked about a scope. Dad just got his license switched over and plates put on his truck for Kentucky. When asked why he waited this long to do it by the county clerk, he lifted his shirt just enough to show the staples in his abdomen. They said nothing after that.

On the subject of lymphoma, my aunt's preacher survived it, and he was an older gentleman (late sixties, early seventies) even when he developed the disease. I think that whoever Lunar's talking about, their odds are decent at least.

Sorry about the wall of text, kind of needed to unload.

LunarMist

dd, I don't really understand the point of that machine except to be ugly and waste electricity. And that ugly-ass chassis doesn't even have places to put proper amounts of storage.

I know of a survivor. Are you worried about yourself or about some other person?

No. Of course I'm not as 30-something.

LunarMist

My computer choices are totally sane. These guys, they're the crazy ones. I only have ~60% of that...

[video]https://youtu.be/nQRunV2pBVU[/video]

I'm not seeing much point to that system, but I have no idea what productivity most people have with computers.

ddrueding

Fixture

There is no point to that machine. I suppose if you wanted to drive 5 4k monitors in games you might need it. And I consider all chassis to be ugly; either exposed circuitry or hide it in another room.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't remember if this has been posted before. From another website I frequent:

O Fortuna is a famous latin song belonging to middle ages and is quite famous among music buffs ..

The lyrics in the song are quite incomprehensible for many people though it sounds quite serious and EPIC too !

Here's the link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIpoE2LEps

This one, down here, is a kind of spoof to it on how one can mishear unfamiliar words. Listen to the original before listening to the spoof (and be careful not to hold any cups of tea or coffee while you listen to this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8

I swear the words in the spoof version match the sounds you hear! I was ROFL for quite a while!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Not much news here. The next event I'll attend to is the "Festibière de Québec". It is more a local interest than something that might be worth sharing here. It's probably also why the site's content is mainly written in French, while the English part is mostly an afterthought. They really don't need to make a lot of advertising though. Just with the locals, the site is filled every year. Last year, it was raining for the most part and it was still packed with people.

The Festibière is an event to taste many (MANY) different types of beers. There might not be as many breweries here than in places like Ireland or the U.K. and maybe Belgium, but there's still more than enough for all tastes. Most of them have a counter at the Festibière. Also, in contrast with what most people might think, the crowd is quite relaxed. Sure, I've seen a few heavily intoxicated people last year, but none to the point where they showed the world what their last meal was and no one was behaving agressively.

I don't think any of the remaining regulars has visited Québec recently, except Handruin a few years ago (went to Drummonville, an hour and a half SouthWest from Québec). While the Festibière isn't enough of a reason IMO to drop by, in case any of you ever visit Québec city in the middle of August, it's a nice event to attend to in addition to the other stuff you planned to do in the city.

Again, not something really worth sharing in an international forum, but since it's so quiet today...

Last edited:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Epic is a nice browser, but it really sucks when I try to edit a post in the forum due to the lack of cookie-saving. Hence my botched post above.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Follow up : apparently, the edit time is now longer than 5 minutes like it was before. I've been able to edit my post in Firefox and made it more or less ok by my poor standards.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Follow up : apparently, the edit time is now longer than 5 minutes like it was before. I've been able to edit my post in Firefox and made it more or less ok by my poor standards.

It's a point of honor with CougTek that his posts have to be grammatically superior to almost every native english speaker on this forum.