Something Random

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It depends...are you proposing to identify said person and let them know, or are you keeping this to yourself?

I think Lunar has already told said person they're an idiot, but didn't expect the response he received from said idiot.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Why Melbourne keeps getting these "most livable" awards, I have NFI. Who the hell would rate Melbourne above, for example, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Hobart? Credibility of these awards: zero.

PS: Bull Sharks are serious stuff. Far more likely to take you than a Great White. And they swim way upstream into fresh water.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That all depends on your relationship to them. If you work for them, no. If they work for you, maybe. If it's someone online who's inept, sure.

Apparently the descriptor "idiot" is no longer allowed, regardless of accuracy. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why Melbourne keeps getting these "most livable" awards, I have NFI. Who the hell would rate Melbourne above, for example, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Hobart? Credibility of these awards: zero.

PS: Bull Sharks are serious stuff. Far more likely to take you than a Great White. And they swim way upstream into fresh water.

I'd bet you a considerable sum that Hobart, Oz is at least more livable than Hobart, Indiana.

LunarMist

As a wise man once said, "If something is legal in only two states, one of them will be Indiana."

Is that the same man who said, "If something is illegal in only two states, one of them will be Alabama." :)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Had some fun last Thursday night... coming home from work on the motorbike, it promptly decided to break down on the freeway in the middle of peak-hour traffic, on a bridge, in the pouring rain. (I broke down on Capt Cook Bridge just outside of Brisbane, for those that know Brisbane). As I couldn't get it restarted, I ended up pushing it 400m to the nearest emergency stopping bay to ensure that I wouldn't hold up traffic, nor be the cause and/or involved in an vehicle accident... That quick push, made me realise how unfit I am...

Anyway I ended up getting the bike towed to my mechanic on Thursday night, and got home at 8pm after my wife picked me up from the mechanic... Get a call from the mechanic on Friday afternoon, and informed the conrod bearings for the second cyclinder went and estimate cost of a top-end rebuild is roughly $2.5K+... Since the bike not even worth $1.5K to trade, I took his sell offer to buy it "as is" for parts/scrap.

My wife and I went shopping for a new bike yesterday, and will be picking up my new bike tomorrow afternoon... I'll be getting one of these: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/cruiser/15-virago in Viper Blue!

The other two I did consider were the Kawasaki Vulcan S (unfortunately out of budget) and the Kawasaki Z300ABS (very, very, very fun to ride, excellent power to weight ratio, not really a comfortable long distance commuters bike).

Nice bike Chewy! I take it you prefer the forward controls of the cruiser style over the more upright feet closer to bum angles of the Z300? IIRC you bought the Rebel used? How many miles were on her?

I've recently gone past 60,000 miles on the 95 VFR, apparently the engines are generally bulletproof, though I'm taking a risk by not getting the valve clearances checked.

Love riding in the rain also, its like an exercise in meditation. Need to get a new pinlock visor for my helmet visor to deal with fogging.

Just picked up a magnetic Nelson Rigg 2020 tank bag, loving the extra storage (previously just had a Kriega US30 drybag on the tail with the work laptop and goretex over shell jacket and pants). However fully packed its pretty difficult to see any speed below 55 on the speedo without leaning well forward to see the guages. Will be using it to carry a 1.5 litre primus fuel bottle, small ABC fire extinguisher, lunch, first aid kit and phone in the gps pocket. Small phone pocket for toll money (when wearing the overshell I have zero pockets available). Currently carrying the motopump air compressor and quick plug tool in my rear jacket pocket.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nice bike Chewy! I take it you prefer the forward controls of the cruiser style over the more upright feet closer to bum angles of the Z300? IIRC you bought the Rebel used? How many miles were on her?
I certainly prefer the more relaxed position on the cruisers. The main concern is that my daily commute is approx 50min each way (about 50km), so riding position comfort is certainly high on the list of priorities. I don't think I could handle the Z300 position on a daily basis (being a smaller bike it's a little cramped). As a weekend bike, certainly! I purchased my old bike just over 5yrs ago (had 7K on it when purchased, and was already 5 yr old), and it died at 78K. The thing is, I don't really know how well the bike was treated prior to me purchasing it...

Love riding in the rain also, its like an exercise in meditation. Need to get a new pinlock visor for my helmet visor to deal with fogging.
Since it doesn't rain a lot where I am, I tend to just wipe a bit of RainX on the inside and it keeps fogging to a minimum... (RainX works really well on the outside keeping the rain at a minimum as well).

Just picked up a magnetic Nelson Rigg 2020 tank bag, loving the extra storage (previously just had a Kriega US30 drybag on the tail with the work laptop and goretex over shell jacket and pants).
I've got a Ventura rack and rear pannier on back-order for my luggage... Should have that in a week or two.

LunarMist

I certainly prefer the more relaxed position on the cruisers. The main concern is that my daily commute is approx 50min each way (about 50km), so riding position comfort is certainly high on the list of priorities. I don't think I could handle the Z300 position on a daily basis (being a smaller bike it's a little cramped). As a weekend bike, certainly! I purchased my old bike just over 5yrs ago (had 7K on it when purchased, and was already 5 yr old), and it died at 78K. The thing is, I don't really know how well the bike was treated prior to me purchasing it...

Since it doesn't rain a lot where I am, I tend to just wipe a bit of RainX on the inside and it keeps fogging to a minimum... (RainX works really well on the outside keeping the rain at a minimum as well).

I've got a Ventura rack and rear pannier on back-order for my luggage... Should have that in a week or two.

Damn, I'd be too worn out from riding nearly an hour each way day after day.

Handruin

Administrator
Welp...all four Seagate 3TBs are dead. I checked the fiancee's workstation and it had been missing since June. She was archiving data on it so she rarely accessed it. Now to order a couple more drives for the restores. :-|

LunarMist

I only have three and they are fast drives for the type. Or do you have the 5900RPM?

LunarMist

"Persons having currently active diarrhea or who have had active diarrhea within the previous 14 days shall not be allowed to enter the pool water."

Who goes over two weeks without any diarrhea? Glad I don't liketolike to swim.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Just the total, Tea. I know you love flexing those mighty SQL muscles of yours (most of them between your ears, I might add) but just a plain total is all we need.

(Sheesh! Why does every little thing have to turn into an epic?)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Er ... there's some tricky addition here, give me a moment. Err .. carry three ... divide by .. ah .. OK, I've got it.

Approximately round-about roughly near enough to zero, or, if you want me to be precise, exact, and specific, -0.000001. But I think the -.000001 might be a rounding error.

LunarMist

Hey, where is Doug's post? I was trying to reply and it has disappeared.

Handruin

Administrator
It was around 01:00 in his zone.

I tried to edit it and somehow fudged it up using my mobile device, sorry. I'm unclear how it got deleted but it wasn't intentional. I may have been having issues...clearly since I lost drives last night. :-D

I think I mentioned the drives are the Seagate ST3000DM001, 7200 RPM when you asked which ones. They were not used in a NAS, they were desktop drives with minimal access.

edit - the forum still had it in a soft-delete state so I restored my post.

Handruin

Administrator
It seems to have become lost amongst all the ape diarrhea. Sorry Lunar.

I'll speak to her as soon as it seems safe to do so.

I'd be happy to dip these drives in Ape diarrhea and send them in for an RMA. Being denied due to fecal infestation would be fantastic.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe sending them off wrapped in a diaper would send enough of a message.

Fair enough. I am not looking to actually harm or assault the RMA receivers or the drive who have nothing to do with the quality.