Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I tried to edit it and somehow fudged it up using my mobile device, sorry. I'm unclear how it got deleted but it wasn't intentional. I may have been having issues...clearly since I lost drives last night. :-D

I think I mentioned the drives are the Seagate ST3000DM001, 7200 RPM when you asked which ones. They were not used in a NAS, they were desktop drives with minimal access.

edit - the forum still had it in a soft-delete state so I restored my post.

Of course you have every prerogative to change posts. :)
I just wanted to confirm my mental condition was sound.

ddrueding

Fixture
So you are back now and survived without interbet?

I did. I was just contemplating a brief summary, so here 'goes.

Flew MRY->LAX, Carnival Cruise provided transport to the ship. Paid for expedited everything and so avoided ~45 minutes worth of lines and walked right on. Got (IMO) the best room on the ship, Carnival Miracle 7298, deck wrapped around the aft-port corner so always a view and usually some part in shade. This was very useful when the kid got kicked out of the (free) daycare program 20 minutes into the first day (wouldn't stop crying and asking for me). This meant that for the next 7 days my wife and I were effectively tag-teaming daycare while on vacation. No time off the boat, no formal dinners, just buffet and lots of laps around the ship. Still, the weather was crappy enough (90F+, 80%+RH) that I didn't want to go ashore anywhere (stops were Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta).

Set up lots of time-lapse shots that I'll be putting up to my YouTube channel and linking here later, once I figure out which image stabilization system will best take the ships motion out of the timelapse. Most of the regular photos were of the family and not of interest to others.

LunarMist

Bummer. Maybe try a resort next time if you are not leaving the ship?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
DD if you got the relaxation you needed, then the trip was a success irregardless of child care issues.

Set up lots of time-lapse shots that I'll be putting up to my YouTube channel and linking here later, once I figure out which image stabilization system will best take the ships motion out of the timelapse.

Should be cool. Can't wait to see'em.

Most of the regular photos were of the family and not of interest to others.

I was going to say something along the lines of...."Bikini shots of the wife would be of interest." but that would be wrong. Wouldn't it?

ddrueding

Fixture
I was going to say something along the lines of...."Bikini shots of the wife would be of interest." but that would be wrong. Wouldn't it?

Not really. If I can get one past the censor...any picture of her that is good enough to make into post gets publication rules attached.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The WTF moment of my week just happened. Some f**king heavyweight from the U.S. Department of Defense poke me on LinkedIn to add me to his network. I simply don't see how I might interest someone quite high in the U.S. DoD hierarchy. Even though I'm often mistaken for an ex-military due to my attitude, physical skills and first-degree interpretation of directives, I have no military training. I'm not American. I'm only a terrorist to people I meet in real life. I'm not islamic (or religious at large). I don't know how to make bombs. I'm not an hacker. I don't think I have any skill that the U.S. DoD can need and not be able to fill internally. I also don't see how I can pose a threat sufficiently high to warrant monitoring by the DoD.

I really, really don't know what this guy, if real, wants with me. I'm not even a very active LinkedIn member so my relationship network is quite small. So the guy had to search FOR ME in order to send me an invitation. Like I wrote, very much my WTF moment of the week.

LunarMist

The WTF moment of my week just happened. Some f**king heavyweight from the U.S. Department of Defense poke me on LinkedIn to add me to his network. I simply don't see how I might interest someone quite high in the U.S. DoD hierarchy. Even though I'm often mistaken for an ex-military due to my attitude, physical skills and first-degree interpretation of directives, I have no military training. I'm not American. I'm only a terrorist to people I meet in real life. I'm not islamic (or religious at large). I don't know how to make bombs. I'm not an hacker. I don't think I have any skill that the U.S. DoD can need and not be able to fill internally. I also don't see how I can pose a threat sufficiently high to warrant monitoring by the DoD.

I really, really don't know what this guy, if real, wants with me. I'm not even a very active LinkedIn member so my relationship network is quite small. So the guy had to search FOR ME in order to send me an invitation. Like I wrote, very much my WTF moment of the week.

Maybe the perpetrator is looking for someone with a similar name. I'd just ignore it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sounds like more routine Linked-in spam, Coug. The scumbags spam everyone they can find in every address book they can find. I just teach Thunderbird to put Linked-in in the spam folder and auto-delete it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can at least attest to the fact that Coug's real name is a seriously uncommon confluence of letters.

I'm guessing the guy who spammed you is probably the victim of some kind of weird, Linkedin-based XSS attack, especially if there's no professional crossover in your circles or friends lists or links or jerk-offs or whatever LinkedIn calls them.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are also guys who collect connections like trophies. 500+ etc. Costs little; pay Linkedin to be a "Premium" member and you can send all the spam you want to people you don't know.

Handruin

Administrator
My new company also does recruiting through LinkedIn and that's how I got hired. I also find it a valuable career resource.

LunarMist

New personal record for stupidity in shipping of a UPS 3-day package that should be delivered in the Los Angeles area: :crap:

Anchorage, AK, United States 09/14/2015
Anchorage, AK, United States 09/12/2015
Louisville, KY, United States 09/12/2015
Louisville, KY, United States 09/11/2015
Newark, NJ, United States 09/11/2015
Philadelphia, PA, United States 09/11/2015
Maspeth, NY, United States 09/10/2015

LunarMist

New personal record for stupidity in shipping of a UPS 3-day package that should be delivered in the Los Angeles area: :crap:

Anchorage, AK, United States 09/14/2015
Anchorage, AK, United States 09/12/2015
Louisville, KY, United States 09/12/2015
Louisville, KY, United States 09/11/2015
Newark, NJ, United States 09/11/2015
Philadelphia, PA, United States 09/11/2015
Maspeth, NY, United States 09/10/2015

So that package was finally delivered Sept 16, but the item inside of the bag in the box was pilfered. Unbelievable.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Me from Belgium, I don't think so. I've met Belges. You'd never confuse me with one of them. Even if you don't speak French. Even before I pronounce a word.

Besides, I'll never be good enough to bullshit people to have any kind of success in politics. Neither would I want to.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I visit two or three times per day, but yesterday and probably today also, I have nothing interesting to tell.

My only odd project for next week will be to build and install a barn sliding door. It's job-related. The fact that I'm the one supervising that is quite telling of how bad our management is (I'm the network administrator, not some carpenter). Let's say that it's needed, but if I don't do it, no one else will. The idea is to fill a large opening between an air-conditionned zone and a non-air-conditionned zone, which also is less than three feet from the door to my server room, where a hole in the lower part of the door serves as the intake for the cooler air to the server room. With the current 8-feet wide opening between the temperature-controlled zone and the rest of the building, cool air leaves our locals instead of going to the server rrom and my servers are frying. The concept seems to be understood by the management, but the urgency of fixing this isn't.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I plan to use this, if I can find a place to buy it. The door will be almost ten feet tall and it's frame will be built with 2"x12" contruction wood. I'll put two 96" rails next to each other in order to slide the door all the way out of the wall opening. The frame where the rails will be installed will be bolted to 4"x4" wood beams. It should be strong enough.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been busy with traveling to celebrate various friends and family birthdays over the past couple days. Nothing really exciting to share here either. I'm ripping Bluray discs to convert to movie files for my Plex server. That's pretty mundane.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I spent the weekend helping a friend move. And that's what I'm going to spend next week doing, also. I don't know why I do it. I know no one I help would help me in return. For the exercise, maybe.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I spent the weekend helping a friend move. And that's what I'm going to spend next week doing, also. I don't know why I do it. I know no one I help would help me in return. For the exercise, maybe.
I've shoveled my next door neighbor's snow many times for the exact same reason. I figured with snow on the ground I wasn't riding, so might as well do something aerobic. After an hour shoveling snow, I felt like I had a better work out than riding.