Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
On another note, Firefox really screwed their users by changing default search to Yahoo. Not only are the results obviously inferior, but my users are now actually timing out ~15% of the time.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm pretty sure remote reading won't work in a car despite the glass.

Five people (with 5 licenses?) would make reading even more difficult.

There are uses for RFID but I don't think a driver's license is a good application.

I'd be more in favor of an implementation using a chip similar to the one used in my credit card for this application including passports.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Officially my processor's lowest clock speed is 800MHz, but with HWMonitor I've caught it dipping as low as 450MHz. Similarly, the rated max is 3GHz, but I've caught it scaling as high as 3.88. These incidents are very rare, though, since it mostly remains within the rated specs. As far as I'm concerned, the lower it goes when idle the better, since it reduces power consumption just a tad. Just thought it kind of odd.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
On another note, Firefox really screwed their users by changing default search to Yahoo. Not only are the results obviously inferior, but my users are now actually timing out ~15% of the time.

Inferior in what way? As they as bad as the Google or more like Bings?

ddrueding

Fixture
Inferior in what way? As they as bad as the Google or more like Bings?

Google is the gold-standard of search engines, Yahoo has been deteriorating lately and might be as bad as Bing at this point. Even worse is that they don't seem to have the bandwidth/computing power to serve all the searches coming in since they bribed the Firefox devs to move everyone to Yahoo from Google.

LunarMist

Google is the gold-standard of search engines, Yahoo has been deteriorating lately and might be as bad as Bing at this point. Even worse is that they don't seem to have the bandwidth/computing power to serve all the searches coming in since they bribed the Firefox devs to move everyone to Yahoo from Google.

I don't follow the current situation, but is Google now better with privacy and human rights than Yahoo or Bling?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Officially my processor's lowest clock speed is 800MHz, but with HWMonitor I've caught it dipping as low as 450MHz. Similarly, the rated max is 3GHz, but I've caught it scaling as high as 3.88. These incidents are very rare, though, since it mostly remains within the rated specs. As far as I'm concerned, the lower it goes when idle the better, since it reduces power consumption just a tad. Just thought it kind of odd.

Interesting.

Playing devil's advocate ... I wonder if there's a bug in HWMonitor that is reporting out-of-spec ratings for your processor. Has this behavior been observed using other programs?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

My solution is to use Mozbackup to push the settings I want people to have. Unfortunately, it won't actually allow a scripted restore yet, but it's still faster than manually changing all the crap that's wrong with a default Firefox install.

ddrueding

Fixture
My solution is to use Mozbackup to push the settings I want people to have. Unfortunately, it won't actually allow a scripted restore yet, but it's still faster than manually changing all the crap that's wrong with a default Firefox install.

Looks great. Thanks for that.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Interesting.

Playing devil's advocate ... I wonder if there's a bug in HWMonitor that is reporting out-of-spec ratings for your processor. Has this behavior been observed using other programs?

I haven't been paying close attention to Task Manager, which in Windows 8 and up does report current clock speed, but I would imagine they'd say the same thing. My motherboard is cheap incarnate, a micro-ATX job from Foxconn that came in a low-end (Athlon II x2 in 2011 low-end) HP slimline desktop. Honestly I'm surprised it conforms to any real form factor, and im even more surprised that it has PCI-Express slots. 1 x16, 3 x1.

LunarMist

I'd be more in favor of an implementation using a chip similar to the one used in my credit card for this application including passports.

That won't work. It makes too much sense.
Instead, they will probably implant an ID chip in everybody's ass. :(

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Yesterday HWMonitor caught my processor dipping as low as 257 and then 20 MHz. That's twenty, as in two with one zero. Not a typo. Task Manager has been reporting similar fluctuations, it's almost never exactly within spec. It seems rock solid so I'm not going to bother myself about it.

Last edited:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Yesterday HWMonitor caught my processor dipping as low as 257 and then 20 MHz. That's twenty, as in two with one zero. Not a typo. Task Manager has been reporting similar fluctuations, it's almost never exactly within spec. It seems rock solid so I'm not going to bother myself about it.

It all depends on how HWMonitor is accessing the current CPU clockspeed, as there are several different methods...
  • If it's using DMI via the SMBIOS, then I'm not surprised by the weird values (DMI data is notorious for being plain wrong in many regards).
  • If it's accessing the values directly via the processor and/or chipset, then these need some fudging as the values given are chipset specific...
  • If it's accessing via the Windows API, then you need to ensure you have the correct drivers for your Processor and chipset...

As you said, if its running fine, then don't bother with it...

Also does CPU-Z support your CPU and is able to report those values?

Out of interest, when you had Linux on there, did you notice the same issues?

LunarMist

I would expect thecpu knows what she is doing. Don't be concerned about the snapshot a utility provides.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
It all depends on how HWMonitor is accessing the current CPU clockspeed, as there are several different methods...
  • If it's using DMI via the SMBIOS, then I'm not surprised by the weird values (DMI data is notorious for being plain wrong in many regards).
  • If it's accessing the values directly via the processor and/or chipset, then these need some fudging as the values given are chipset specific...
  • If it's accessing via the Windows API, then you need to ensure you have the correct drivers for your Processor and chipset...

As you said, if its running fine, then don't bother with it...

Also does CPU-Z support your CPU and is able to report those values?

Out of interest, when you had Linux on there, did you notice the same issues?

CPU-Z reports nothing strange. Linux reported that it remained within spec ALL of the time. Not sure where it's getting the values.

Mercutio

Went to the dentist for the first time in 14 years and a month. Only need a deep cleaning. No other problems. Now I feel like maybe I didn't really need to go to the dentist.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Went to the dentist for the first time in 14 years and a month. Only need a deep cleaning. No other problems. Now I feel like maybe I didn't really need to go to the dentist.

If you brush/floss regularly, don't notice any changes and HAVE NOT CHIPPED a tooth, once-a-14-year trip is about right. Probably never would be fine too, but a cleaning every 14 years is fairly cheap I guess.

15-16 years ago I had a very minor chip that I didn't think was anything important and not worth bothering with. Nine months later I was spending close to $2000 (w/no insurance) for root canal and crown. Once the enamel layer of a tooth is compromised you are going to be screwed if you don't get it repaired. Spend the $80 bucks to get the chip filled.

I haven't been in about the same time, though I am sure the number of cavities exceeds the number of teeth.

All joking aside, if you even suspect you have any issues get your once-a-14-year cleaning and exam and doc will use the sharp metal pointy thingie and probe for soft spots. A cavity, or three, filling is annoying but you are done. Crown and/or full root canal + crown is major PITA and multiple visits to doc.

LunarMist

All joking aside, if you even suspect you have any issues get your once-a-14-year cleaning and exam and doc will use the sharp metal pointy thingie and probe for soft spots. A cavity, or three, filling is annoying but you are done. Crown and/or full root canal + crown is major PITA and multiple visits to doc.

Yeah. The problem is that a cavity becomes another cavity, then an onlay, then a crown/root canal, then a lost tooth and implant.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've had a half-dozen root canals in my life. There is a genetic thing where my saliva actually eats the enamel off my teeth. My grandmother had dentures in her 20s, my mom in her 30s, I'm planning on a mouthful of implants in my 40s. No point in sinking money into a set that only have to last a few more years.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've had a half-dozen root canals in my life. There is a genetic thing where my saliva actually eats the enamel off my teeth. My grandmother had dentures in her 20s, my mom in her 30s, I'm planning on a mouthful of implants in my 40s. No point in sinking money into a set that only have to last a few more years.

Ouch!
Double Ouch!

Very sorry you have to deal with the losing side of the genetic lottery.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Haven't been to one in about four years but I'm not feeling any problems in my mouth like chipped teeth or pain. I should probably go soon, if for no other reason than to get a cleaning.

The doctor is another story. Last time I had a checkup was when DD was born. I don't trust that doctors will do anything positive for me based on my parents' experience with them. Granted, I would go to a doctor for stitches or broken bones or some other injury I couldn't fix myself, but beyond that I just don't see the value. Don't have health insurance anyway. I tried getting quotes for a complete checkup with blood tests a few years ago. They ranged from $3,000 up to $7,600. I don't see how anyone without insurance can afford medical care. Maybe when I'm old enough for Medicare I'll consider getting a complete physical, not that I feel any good will come out of it.

LunarMist

Haven't been to one in about four years but I'm not feeling any problems in my mouth like chipped teeth or pain. I should probably go soon, if for no other reason than to get a cleaning.

The doctor is another story. Last time I had a checkup was when DD was born. I don't trust that doctors will do anything positive for me based on my parents' experience with them. Granted, I would go to a doctor for stitches or broken bones or some other injury I couldn't fix myself, but beyond that I just don't see the value. Don't have health insurance anyway. I tried getting quotes for a complete checkup with blood tests a few years ago. They ranged from $3,000 up to $7,600. I don't see how anyone without insurance can afford medical care. Maybe when I'm old enough for Medicare I'll consider getting a complete physical, not that I feel any good will come out of it.

You really should have an annual physical, especially after 50. Otherwise you are playing Russian roulette with your health.
Obviously some people lived to 70s or 80s in primitive times with little to no medicine, but most people did not.
There are various chronic diseases/conditions that can exist for years with very few noticeable effects until the condition is far advanced and difficult or impractical to treat.
I'm pretty sure that I would be dead or completely messed up by now without having had some tests done a decade or more ago and surgeries, etc. In my latest tests, I'm in better shape than over 3 years ago.
A body is in some ways like a car; it needs routine maintenance and diagnostics.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You really should have an annual physical, especially after 50. Otherwise you are playing Russian roulette with your health.
Obviously some people lived to 70s or 80s in primitive times with little to no medicine, but most people did not.
There are various chronic diseases/conditions that can exist for years with very few noticeable effects until the condition is far advanced and difficult or impractical to treat.
I appreciate the concern here but my rationale is most of the things a physical might catch are either untreatable and/or too costly to treat. Cancer comes to mind. Yes, you can catch some types of cancer early, but the treatments these days are mostly still hit or miss, the cancer usually comes back anyway, and the cost is more than I have. Even my dentist said he wouldn't bother going for chemo. He considers it a waste of time and money.

My experience with doctors based on what my parents went through is they basically take readings and prescribe pills if the readings are off (instead of perhaps suggesting lifestyle changes first). That won't work for me. I often don't remember to take pills even when I need them temporarily due to being sick, never mind taking them every day indefinitely. Then there's the cost, plus the side effects. It may well be a case of trading one thing for something worse.

At this point my worst ailment is carpal tunnel syndrome but that won't kill you. I also have occasional periods of low energy, but I've had those from childhood. Probably just my physiological makeup. Hot weather especially knocks the crap out of me. And then there's my aromatic hydrocarbon allergy. That one I actually confirmed while getting dental work. The compound she used to make a mold for a post caused horrible sores in my mouth within a few hours. Came back the next day to see if anything could be done. Turns out it was some kind of aromatic hydrocarbon. I wasn't surprised. I suspected I had this given the nausea I experienced riding in motor vehicles, or being near areas of heavy traffic. No real treatment for it, and not really something I consider an issue. My body is telling me to avoid something which is no good for it anyway, so I do exactly that by not going out during peak traffic times.

The sickest I ever became was back in 2005 when I briefly had a 106 fever. I was in fact ready to have my parents call a doctor at that point if the fever didn't start going down soon as I knew I was getting into the danger zone. In the end though, whatever it was left as quickly as it came. It coincided with a mosquito bite a few days earlier, so I suspect it was West Nile virus.

Anyway, my take on health is eat decently (I could do better there but I'm still eating healthier than most Americans). More importantly, get regular exercise. I think that's more important than diet or any other factor. Exercise seems to help my body work right, in that it flushes toxins out, gets my digestive system working, helps blood flow to my brain. For what it's worth, my mom is 76 and she's only on one blood pressure pill. All her other vitals are good, other than the poor condition of her skeletal structure (scoliosis and stenosis, partially caused from a childhood bout of scarlet fever which nearly left her in a wheelchair). My dad died at 71 and a half, but he led a horrible lifestyle. His mother made it past 87 despite being 300+ pounds and sedentary her entire adult life. Bottom line, I have good genetics. I have a feeling if me and my siblings take reasonably decent care of ourselves we all may make it past 100. A great-great grandmother on my mom's side actually made it to nearly 103. A great aunt made it to a few months short of 100.

Remember in early times most of the causes of early death were war, famine, malnutrition, and disease. In most first world countries those are larger a non-issue nowadays. The biggest cause of early death now for those under about 60 is automobile collisions. After that you have cancer and heart disease. Unless you're genetically predisposed, heart disease is mostly avoided by exercising, eating decently, and not being too overweight. Cancer seems to be a roll of the dice. Doctors certainly can't prevent it. At best, they can postpone dying from it by a few years. Taken all together, it's more important to know your body than anything else. Yes, I might see a doctor if something seemed out of kilter for a while and just didn't get better. But right now regular checkups are unaffordable. I'm not sure if I'd gain much in terms of health or lifespan from them either.

I'm pretty sure that I would be dead or completely messed up by now without having had some tests done a decade or more ago and surgeries, etc. In my latest tests, I'm in better shape than over 3 years ago.

You apparently either have insurance to pay for this, or you're very well off. There is maybe 20% to 25% of the US population who can't afford any semblance of medical care. I'm in that percentage unfortunately.

ddrueding

Fixture
JTR, not sure if you've been keeping up with the news for the last half-decade or so, but you are no doubt eligible for highly subsidized health insurance through the ACA. I went through Covered California for my wife and kid as it was cheaper (even without subsidies) than adding them to my plan at work. And my opinion with doctors is very similar to yours; modern medicine is much better at diagnosing and treating than curing. Several of my doctor friends are big DNR advocates, and none of them would bother with treatment for Cancer. I haven't been to a doc in 7 years, and don't plan to go unless my wife makes me.

Still you should get catastrophic insurance, just in case you go for a bike ride and wake up in the hospital already having accumulated six-figures of bills. At that point it isn't health insurance, just anti-bankruptcy insurance.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
JTR, not sure if you've been keeping up with the news for the last half-decade or so, but you are no doubt eligible for highly subsidized health insurance through the ACA. I went through Covered California for my wife and kid as it was cheaper (even without subsidies) than adding them to my plan at work. And my opinion with doctors is very similar to yours; modern medicine is much better at diagnosing and treating than curing. Several of my doctor friends are big DNR advocates, and none of them would bother with treatment for Cancer. I haven't been to a doc in 7 years, and don't plan to go unless my wife makes me.

Still you should get catastrophic insurance, just in case you go for a bike ride and wake up in the hospital already having accumulated six-figures of bills. At that point it isn't health insurance, just anti-bankruptcy insurance.
You're right about catastrophic coverage. The thought of getting hit by a car while walking or biking has crossed my mind. I'll have to look into it.

On the subsidized health insurance, I'm aware of that, and may apply once my present consulting gig ends. Right now I'm making six figures and wouldn't be eligible for subsidies. By the same token though this gig is temporary, so I really couldn't afford market rate coverage. Once it ends though, my income level will likely drop low enough to be eligible for significant subsidies. And I'm eligible for Medicare regardless in 12 years and 2 months.

LunarMist

CTS is treated surgically, isn't it? I know a couple of people at work that had it. I work for large company, so insurance covers most of it.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
CTS is treated surgically, isn't it? I know a couple of people at work that had it. I work for large company, so insurance covers most of it.
Mom had the treatment. It didn't last. My sister had it, too. The verdict is still out there but the doctors billed the insurance company for something like $50K. I pretty much know what I need to do to keep it from getting worse. So far I'm still functional. Thankfully most of my work these days doesn't involve repetitive stuff.

Mercutio

For what it's worth, my ACA-approved plan added about $4000 to the cost of care for my eye issue last year and provided no benefit. I literally paid Blue Cross of Indiana $4000 because I wanted to see doctors. Turns out, I'm exempt from coverage. The second lowest-cost silver plan for a male my age costs more than 9% of my reported annual income, so I didn't even need to sign up in the first place.

Granted, Indiana lawmakers went out of the way to make the ACA as terrible as possible for its residents, but I'm still in the donut hole where it hurts a lot more than it helps.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!

I'm about twice as old as you are and haven't had one. Yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Good or bad, depending on your alertness and luck. Everything's gone totally commercial; the intent is to bill, bill, bill, especially if you have insurance. But many practitioners are exceptionally good - on par with the best. And diagnostics and latest procedures are as good or nearly as good as the USA. The trick is to find a competent and honest doctor (connections really help) and to not be an ignoramus. There are of course horror stories of incompetence and negligence. Hence the due diligence, alertness, and awareness of one's condition and treatment options. It helps a lot that my brother is a very successful doc in CA. Though I say so myself, he's very competent, caring and a darn good physician. His patients knit sweaters for him, bake cookies and cakes, and write love letters to him. His practice is always full and he has to refuse new patients till someone dies or moves. I always use him for a second opinion; he's just an email or phone call away.

"Medial Tourism" is quite big, with people from many countries coming here for treatment that is quite inexpensive compared to their home countries. In many cases, diagnostics and treatment is not even available in their home countries. Many weird cases are treated free because the patient's family from abroad can't afford treatment. The cost is not borne by the government here but by the corporate hospital that provided the treatment.

BTW, medical insurance here only covers hospitalization. Day care procedures, doctor's visits, medications are all out of pocket. So the abuse happens; hospitals admit patients on false pretenses to bill the insurance company. The dumb insurance companies haven't caught on.