Something Random

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Do you use an alarm clock to wake up in the A.M.? Does said alarm clock have a backup battery? Have you checked said battery in the last six months?

I had a power loss today due to electric company installing some shite* on our meter and every clock took a shit and was blinking 12:00 on it.

Luckly I was awake at the time and noticed the fan stopped and heard the tell-tale clicks of the modem, router, DVR, TV, computer monitor, etc, losing power. ALL the 9v backup batteries were bone-dead. Nothing on the "touch-9v-battery-to-the-tongue" test.

If you use your phone to wake up, you are a lot safer, but check your backup batteries nonetheless.

*more on this later

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Do you use an alarm clock to wake up in the A.M.? Does said alarm clock have a backup battery? Have you checked said battery in the last six months?

I had a power loss today due to electric company installing some shite* on our meter and every clock took a shit and was blinking 12:00 on it.

Luckly I was awake at the time and noticed the fan stopped and heard the tell-tale clicks of the modem, router, DVR, TV, computer monitor, etc, losing power. ALL the 9v backup batteries were bone-dead. Nothing on the "touch-9v-battery-to-the-tongue" test.

If you use your phone to wake up, you are a lot safer, but check your backup batteries nonetheless.

*more on this later

I use several alarm clocks, including one on a GPS. The power failure alarms would wake me up in any event.

ddrueding

Fixture
I use my cell phone as my alarm clock (actually as my only clock). The time is very accurate (even auto-corrects for daylight savings and time zones), the battery backup can last all night, and I test it daily. No other solution that is nearly as effective.

LunarMist

I use my cell phone as my alarm clock (actually as my only clock). The time is very accurate (even auto-corrects for daylight savings and time zones), the battery backup can last all night, and I test it daily. No other solution that is nearly as effective.

I don't let the cell phone in the master bedroom. However, I do use it as one alarm on travel although the time only updates when there is service.
Something about the Andordis does not update time from the GPS. Perhaps I'm not doing something right.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My alarm clock (clock radio) automagically sets the time when it is plugged in. Does it through the the radio somehow I think. Or maybe the power line? Been years since I bought it and I forgot what the box it came in said.

Handruin

Administrator

Same thing for me. However, I often just shut it up quickly and fall back to sleep.

This and this for me as well. I've not used a night stand alarm clock since 2007-ish.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wish I lived near a Fry's. They have a 2 day in-store only promo (with the stupid daily e-mail promo code [from Friday]) for a 64GB Samsung Pro+ microSDXC card for $25. Limit 2. They're not even in stock most places and are at least 50% more $ than that.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz

Same here. My phone gets louder and more obnoxious than my old alarm clock could ever hope to.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yesterday USPS decided to deliver me an errant package. It has a shipping label for me on it, but I didn't order a $400 "hoverboard" scooter from F.Y.E. http://www.fye.com/s/product/4044477/

It looks like their fulfillment center in KY, which they share with a number of other companies, mistakenly put a duplicate shipping label on the box that is 100% identical (down to the tracking number) to the one on an order from another retailer that I received a day earlier on Thursday. There is a another address label on the side of the box from F.Y.E. to someone in Knoxville, TN.

I sent F.Y.E. customer service an e-mail explaining the situation with some photos and asked for a prepaid UPS Ground label to send the box to the correct person in Knoxville, TN or instructions on what they want me to do with it.

LunarMist

Yesterday USPS decided to deliver me an errant package. It has a shipping label for me on it, but I didn't order a $400 "hoverboard" scooter from F.Y.E. http://www.fye.com/s/product/4044477/

It looks like their fulfillment center in KY, which they share with a number of other companies, mistakenly put a duplicate shipping label on the box that is 100% identical (down to the tracking number) to the one on an order from another retailer that I received a day earlier on Thursday. There is a another address label on the side of the box from F.Y.E. to someone in Knoxville, TN.

I sent F.Y.E. customer service an e-mail explaining the situation with some photos and asked for a prepaid UPS Ground label to send the box to the correct person in Knoxville, TN or instructions on what they want me to do with it.

Maybe a friend ordered it as a joke?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yesterday USPS decided to deliver me an errant package.
[...]
You really believe U.S. Postal Service will agree to pay United Parcel Service to deliver a package instead of using their own in-house system? You're an overly optimistic person.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wish I lived near a Fry's. They have a 2 day in-store only promo (with the stupid daily e-mail promo code [from Friday]) for a 64GB Samsung Pro+ microSDXC card for $25. Limit 2. They're not even in stock most places and are at least 50% more $ than that.
Fry's cracks me up. I see this "bargain" in today's ad. So half the size for 80% of the cost of the 64gB Pro+ deal mentioned above that they had going on Friday & Saturday. Oh yeah, it's the same price as Adorama's regular price too. :scratch:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Fry's cracks me up. I see this "bargain" in today's ad. So half the size for 80% of the cost of the 64gB Pro+ deal mentioned above that they had going on Friday & Saturday. Oh yeah, it's the same price as Adorama's regular price too. :scratch:

Yeah but Fry's definitely isn't so bad when it's selling an i7 CPU for $100 less than Amazon or at least price matching what the local Microcenter is doing. Which is really handy since Microcenter doesn't like selling anyone two of the same CPU in a month.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Out of curiosity, I checked the current OS marketshare figures. Kind of sad to see that 10.59% of people on the web are still using XP, even a year and 8 months after they dropped support for it. I'm one of them, at least for the time being, but I chose this fate. The rest of them may not have.

For scale, that's a full two times more than OS X 10.11 and 10.10 combined. Even better, it's roughly five times the amount still using Vista, an OS that's still supported! At least XP seems to be in a steady decline. We'll probably see a sharp decrease in users once Firefox and Chrome finally drop support for it. If around that time I still happen to be using this machine regularly, I'll probably dual-boot XP with Arch Linux and use Linux for my dealings with the web at large, keeping XP installed for the various games I have on here, especially since it costs me nothing to do so as I already have it installed.

On another little random note, since S478 processors are a dime a dozen on eBay, I'm considering doing a minor chip upgrade from this 2.8GHz Prescott after Christmas rolls around and a have some money, though some may see it as a downgrade since I'm losing cache and dropping SSE3 support. I want to find a 3.2 or even 3.4GHz Northwood chip. I want a Northwood because it will run cooler, and also because the higher up Northwoods still support Hyperthreading. The board I'm using has some qualms about using Hyperthreading with Prescott chips, even though HP's official stance is that it should all just work. Lastly my 2.8 is a 2.8/533, which is why my RAM is running at 333MHz rather than the 400 that I want out of it.

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
New modem and better internet at home.

View attachment 982

Nice boost. You were at 75 mb/s download before correct? You should notice the bump when downloading multiple streams at the same time. But like me, they (ISP) increased the download speed and left the upload at 10 mb/s (which usually tests around 12 mb/s).

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. Just signed up for 250mb/s, now that my modem can handle it. The local 1Gbps fiber I was going to route in is running into LoS issues that will take some time to resolve.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yeah but Fry's definitely isn't so bad when it's selling an i7 CPU for $100 less than Amazon or at least price matching what the local Microcenter is doing. Which is really handy since Microcenter doesn't like selling anyone two of the same CPU in a month.
You can't buy a CPU with cash at Microcenter and give them an address you don't actually live at? I've never had to buy more than one of their CPU deals, so this isn't a problem I've personally encountered.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can't buy a CPU with cash at Microcenter and give them an address you don't actually live at? I've never had to buy more than one of their CPU deals, so this isn't a problem I've personally encountered.

I just get a couple people who live around the Westmont store to meet me over there when I need cheap i5/i7s in exchange for $5 worth of Starbucks. Sometimes they don't have the stock I want and that's when I make the extra trip to Fry's. I don't like Fry's as well though.

Stereodude

Not really a
I just get a couple people who live around the Westmont store to meet me over there when I need cheap i5/i7s in exchange for $5 worth of Starbucks. Sometimes they don't have the stock I want and that's when I make the extra trip to Fry's. I don't like Fry's as well though.
I don't really have a problem with Fry's. They have some good deals. They're often hard to get from the website because it seems like they have an intentionally very limited inventory. Sending the promo codes out after the sale starts doesn't help either. People who signed up for the promo code e-mails shortly after they went to this scheme get the codes hours before those of us who signed up for them fairly recently. Shopping in store seems like a better bet. The website pretty much always shows the store has inventory long after the website is out of stock. I was simply noting that some of the "deals" aren't actually deals, and there is some inconsistency. Like the Samsung Pro+ microSD__ cards. The 64gB was a deal. The 32gB, not. Or, yesterday they had a $10 promo code to get the LOTR: EE Blu-ray trilogy down to $54.99. Amazon had it as the DOTD for $28 on Monday, and Costco sells it for $45.99 all the time.