Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
Your ideas have probably permeated my conscience so that all my opinions were made up before ever using the machine.

Sorry about that. Apple caused me a bit too much rage to contain. Hopefully I haven't ruined the experience for you.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sorry about that. Apple caused me a bit too much rage to contain. Hopefully I haven't ruined the experience for you.

That was mostly a joke. I have read all of your rants though. I have avoided getting a Mac for over 4 years at work. I've been running Linux on my work machine for at least 3 years. The Mac is actually probably less of an issue to me than I always imagined. The machine I have is a 13" MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. The hardware is amazingly tight and very light.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My Dell 2209WA LCD monitor purchased circa 2009 has developed a dead / stuck pixel (black dot). Not bothersome now, hope it doesn't grow.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
One of our Dell projectors has about a 10% of the pixels either stuck on or stuck off and distributed edge to edge,. I've never seen anything like it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
One of our Dell projectors has about a 10% of the pixels either stuck on or stuck off and distributed edge to edge,. I've never seen anything like it.
If it was ours, our company's director would say that it's still working more or less like a new and wouldn't see the need to replace it. He's cheap like that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'd say a lot of the benefits are operational.
Thanks for the clarification, certainly has potential to improve efficiencies in the right environment. (I only say it that way, as often it's the politics and procedures that kills it, not the idea).

Many of the organizations I've worked with have an extremely hard time deploying software to production. Without any kind of automation in place taking a single deployable unit of code and multiplying it by the number of microservices necessary is going to make production deployments n times more difficult, error prone, and time consuming.
This has been one that has always surprised me when I see how some dev shops/departments are setup. How much stuff that should be automated that isn't.
While I'm not a big fan of him, I do think he has some valuable ideas when it comes to dev work, eg: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html In particular points 2, 3 and 4.
At work, we use Jenkins for CI (builds and tests are done on each check-in, or once a day depending on the artefact to be produced), and it deploys the completed artefacts to the staging server, and from there, it's a script to push to production... (We don't allow Jenkins direct access to the production servers). But that's it as far as human interaction is concerned between checking in source code to having it live on a production server...

I don't know, but maybe you could earn some extra $ getting as much automated as possible, even if that means setting up a CI server, a bug tracker, etc... (There's lots to choose from, ranging from free to $$$$$).

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I had a good laugh at this video.
I guess that makes me old.

I broke out into a fit of laughter every time they got confused. If laughing at it makes you old then it makes me at least as old as you, and we both know that isn't true.

I'm younger than most of the "teens" in the video and I know things that would make their heads spin. Kind of puts things in perspective. I also saw the one where they sat down at an Apple IIe and couldn't figure out what to do with it at all. Even I couldn't do much with it without a manual or some instructions, my knowledge has limits in certain places -- I have to have some experience with a given piece of software or hardware to know what to do with it, and the oldest computer I've been allowed near is some old XT clone.

That bit where they had to physically turn off the machine and they expressed disbelief at it mirrored my reaction the first time I saw one of those older machines that weren't ACPI-compliant. And if they think that's loud they should try hanging out in a server room sometime! You almost have to yell to be heard by someone standing next to you! Or at least that's how it was when I spent some time in one -- it was actually refreshing to have some respite from my perpetually-ringing ears. Isn't that a symptom of tinnitus, when you hear a ringing or buzzing when you're in silent (or nearly so) surroundings?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the clarification, certainly has potential to improve efficiencies in the right environment. (I only say it that way, as often it's the politics and procedures that kills it, not the idea).

This has been one that has always surprised me when I see how some dev shops/departments are setup. How much stuff that should be automated that isn't.
While I'm not a big fan of him, I do think he has some valuable ideas when it comes to dev work, eg: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html In particular points 2, 3 and 4.
At work, we use Jenkins for CI (builds and tests are done on each check-in, or once a day depending on the artefact to be produced), and it deploys the completed artefacts to the staging server, and from there, it's a script to push to production... (We don't allow Jenkins direct access to the production servers). But that's it as far as human interaction is concerned between checking in source code to having it live on a production server...

I don't know, but maybe you could earn some extra $ getting as much automated as possible, even if that means setting up a CI server, a bug tracker, etc... (There's lots to choose from, ranging from free to $$$$$).

Every project I've been on or ran for the last 10 years has used a CI server. There is way more automation that is necessary if you want to do successful continuous delivery of 10s or 100s of microservices.

Take a look through here for an idea of what is required: https://netflix.github.io/

Handruin

Administrator
Every project I've been on or ran for the last 10 years has used a CI server. There is way more automation that is necessary if you want to do successful continuous delivery of 10s or 100s of microservices.

Take a look through here for an idea of what is required: https://netflix.github.io/

This Netflix article released today is also interesting to see them spell out more of the details describing their CI and other pieces of their software model.

I enjoyed your blog post and have to admit I've not yet worked on a project with microservices. I've read numerous positions on microservices but I admit they're still new to me even though they've been around for some time. I took note from SoundCloud's description of "How we ended up with microservices" some time ago and found their trials and process interesting. I'd like to scope and propose this kind of structure to see if it's a fit for our product and development teams.

I work on a project that also leverages Jenkins which will trigger builds on check-ins but given the project I'm on we don't have a full end to end deployment after the software is built. I've worked closely with our build engineers to help setup our project's Jenkin's job. I've spent a decent amount of time on one specific job in a series of jobs which builds the product ISO deployable installer. The product I work on is a physical appliance so the automation to get from software to physical appliance is a little bit challenging for me. My area has been to work on the CentOS kickstart installer and package management along with a platform setup and configuration post install. I spend more time now with bash shell scripting and recently Python development to replace it. None of these currently lends well to a microservice but I'm working to structure my new Python project to eventually leverage and become a RESTful interface (maybe using Flask) for configuring the platform and product.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That bit where they had to physically turn off the machine and they expressed disbelief at it mirrored my reaction the first time I saw one of those older machines that weren't ACPI-compliant.

The power switch still works fine for me. How else do people turn ON a computer, AWOL, mental telepathy?
It makes me think that the youths in the video have no experience with a physical PC at all.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
The power switch still works fine for me. How else do people turn ON a computer, AWOL, mental telepathy?
It makes me think that the youths in the video have no experience with a physical PC at all.

At the time I had never seen a machine that wasn't ACPI-compliant and that didn't do the whole soft-power off thing. Even Dad's old hand-me-down Pentium MMX did that.

LunarMist

At the time I had never seen a machine that wasn't ACPI-compliant and that didn't do the whole soft-power off thing. Even Dad's old hand-me-down Pentium MMX did that.

Sure, but the youths in the video seemed to have a problem turning the computer on, not off.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Sure, but the youths in the video seemed to have a problem turning the computer on, not off.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that is rather odd.

Found an interesting little PC Cheaps board. The A31G, it's interesting because it has both PCI-E and AGP. Never thought I would see both on the same board, just one or the other. It's a Socket 754 board, currently outfitted with some kind of mobile Sempron. Shame it's refusing to POST. I honestly don't know what I'd do with it though.

LunarMist

Had the same thing at school. Apparently not many people like Moon Pies there. More for me, I guess.

I had to use the Google for Moon Pie. I don't recall ever seeing one previously. They must be popular only in some countries or regions.

LunarMist

What can I say, but being a SoCal guy of a certain era may be a little different.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I too have never heard of Moonpie despite having lived in Southern California for 2+ decades. According to Wiki: A moon pie or MoonPie is a confection, popular in parts of the United States (emphasis mine).

Handruin

Administrator
Good to know where you stand on these matters.

I'm unsure where and/or when I learned about Moonpies but it's rare to learn about someone who hasn't heard of them if they're from this country in my general location. It may be a eastern and/or southern thing.

I much-prefer whoopie pies to moon pies.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I much-prefer whoopie pies to moon pies.

I suggest Derby Pies if we're talking about weird regional dishes with "pie" in the name that are more or less cookies.
But anything that's not filled with marshmallow and coated with some kind of sweet plastic-like substance would be an improvement.

Handruin

Administrator
I suggest Derby Pies if we're talking about weird regional dishes with "pie" in the name that are more or less cookies.
But anything that's not filled with marshmallow and coated with some kind of sweet plastic-like substance would be an improvement.

The whoopie pies I enjoy typically have real frosting inside and no fondant or plastic-like substance around the outside. I'm not familiar with Derby Pies.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A derby pie is kind of a chocolate chip cookie with a pecan-bourbon filling. There's technically a pie crust involved but let's be honest and say that's just there for decoration.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think it it's an attempt to package smores. I'm not a fan either but I thought it a unique way to celebrate. I'll have to see if I can track down a whoopie pie.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a southern thing, like NASCAR and boiled peanuts. Moonpies are gross. Like NASCAR and boiled peanuts.

IL has more tracks than any southern state other than VA, and IN has as many tracks according to the all knowing Wikipedia. It would seem NASCAR it's not just a southern thing. Like Elvis and the Blues, its to good to keep just to ourselves.