Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. My favorite Tango partner, Olga, convinced me that the only way to drink vodka is by the shot; no ice, no mixers, no wimps - chased with fresh strawberries. Holy shit. I've never seen an entire bottle dissapear that fast, and I've never had to make so many corrections in a post before. Now all she needs is a divorce, and she can be next (Not that the current one is divorced yet, but at least a declaration of intent is present).

My only question is, what other element does the sentance "Holy shit." need? It has a noun, and an adjective. It needs a subject and a verb, no? So "Holy fucking shit, Batman!" would be a complete sentence?

Seriously P.U.I.

~David

ddrueding

Fixture
For the last 8 months or so I've been practicing my german. Now it seems that there's an 80% chance that Russian will be next, with the other 20% being Swedish.

Anyone here care to help me with my Russian?

ddrueding

Fixture
In that order because I've found the ones at the top to be more difficult than the ones at the bottom. Around here, just looking hungry will get you a few bucks out of a passing car, but it won't get you broadband ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nerve.com (site is Not Safe For Work, but it's an arty, intellectual sort of NSWF) has a piece of short speculative fiction by Douglas Rushkoff (well known for writing Cyberia among other things).

The story is a quick read, told as a series of e-mail messages, about the trevails of sexuality and medical science in a future where retirees don't look appreciably different from college-age coeds.

Anyway, I thought it was fun read.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
ddrueding said:
Wow. My favorite Tango partner, Olga, convinced me that the only way to drink vodka is by the shot; no ice, no mixers, no wimps - chased with fresh strawberries. Holy shit. I've never seen an entire bottle dissapear that fast, and I've never had to make so many corrections in a post before. Now all she needs is a divorce, and she can be next (Not that the current one is divorced yet, but at least a declaration of intent is present).

My only question is, what other element does the sentance "Holy shit." need? It has a noun, and an adjective. It needs a subject and a verb, no? So "Holy fucking shit, Batman!" would be a complete sentence?

Seriously P.U.I.

~David
LOL. I too have experienced the magical disappearing Vodka bottle.

By the way in the case of "Holy fucking shit, Batman!" fucking isn't a verb. I forget the grammatical term for using a verb as an adjective by using that particular tense, but that's what you did there. What kind of shit Batman? Fucking shit. Where's the Grammar Police anyway? Are the penalties for PUI worse than normal?

ddrueding

Fixture
Gilbo said:
Where's the Grammar Police anyway? Are the penalties for PUI worse than normal?

I hope not. Considering how "UI" I was, the fact that I recognized the error and asked for clarification should earn me bonus points.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Gilbo said:
LOL. I too have experienced the magical disappearing Vodka bottle.

By the way in the case of "Holy fucking shit, Batman!" fucking isn't a verb. I forget the grammatical term for using a verb as an adjective by using that particular tense, but that's what you did there. What kind of shit Batman? Fucking shit. Where's the Grammar Police anyway? Are the penalties for PUI worse than normal?

Adverbs modify adjectives, verbs and other parts of speech, but not nouns. Adverbs typically answer the questions who, when, where...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Gilbo said:

"HFS,B!" is an exclamation and does not need to be a complete sentence. F'ing is the present participle of the verb we are all too familiar with. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
I've just moved all my major stuff out of my house and I'm sitting on my sleeping bag in my bedroom because all my stuff is gone including my bed. I haven't moved places yet, but due to timing I had to move my stuff this weekend into storage. I still have my laptop and net access...need the essentials. :-D

So...I'm pretty much moved out of my house now and I just got a message last night that the buyers to my house are pulling out and fucking me over big time. I was supposed to close the deal in a couple days and they waited to the last minute to tell us they don't want to buy it because their son doesn't want to move. :( Now I have no fucking idea what to do because my shit is in storage and my house isn't selling.

Anyway, just venting...I know things could be worse...I'm just a wee bit annoyed right now.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:
Who did I meet, and what is the scorecard on that house, and person?

Is it as hot in Salinas as it is here? It's been 112,111,110 the last three days. It's 109 at 6:30 pm, and last night, it didn't get under 85 until 1am.

S

ddrueding

Fixture
Greg, the person you met was Birgit. She's german, I'm still living with her, but I'm looking for an apartment in Monterey or Palo Alto. It's been in the 80-90s here, but last night I was taking a Salsa class in Palo Alto and it was 90 with 70% humidity at 10PM (while dancing without AC). I would never live in a place where it topped 100, or where it froze.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
We played golf a couple days ago, and, it was 105 for most of the time. I drank water like a fish, never peed, and drank 2 32 oz glasses of water, every 4 holes. Played well, after the first three holes, and killed my partners, who failed to drink enough water, and it really got them on the back nine.
Was fun, but, not doing it again, for awhile. It's still 99 here, and, it's nearly 8 pm. Got to move...

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David: I shopped around for a place over there, and, I found the best deals in Pacifica. Right before you go down highway 1, to Half Moon Bay, there are some places up in a little valley, that get a lot of sun, fog seems to go around, and, it's easy to get to 280 to go south, and San Francisco is 20 minutes away. Palo Alto maybe a half hour.

Rents are reasonable, much more so then PA.
Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
Pacifica looks nice, except for the fact that it's so far from my work. I still have a number of clients in the Salinas area, and I still sail my boat out of Monterey. Those would need to be a bit closer. What would make a lot of sense would be to live just south of San Jose on the 101 corridor. Gilroy or Morgan Hill both present themselves as logical choices from a geographical point of view, but both are wretched rejects as the suns anvil. I must question the sanity on anyone who lives in a place that is neither pretty, fun, nor comfortable. Much the same can be said for San Jose itself and many of it's suburbs. This leaves me looking a bit further south, either San Juan Bautista (quaint town between Prunedale and Gilroy - famous for not having ANY fast food shops at all) or Prunedale (aka Prunetucky; famous for cars -sans motor- in the front yard and toilets for planter boxes). Grr.

Handruin

Administrator
Pradeep said:
Bastards! Do you at least get to keep their earnest money/deposit?

It's $1000 split between us, but my closing lawer costs about $700 (also split between us)...so in a sense...no. They said they were sorry...what nice people they were.

Mercutio

Handy,
I'd be in a homocidal rage if someone made me move all my crap and then said "Oops!" The fact that they yet live and you're still a free man is testament to your restraint.

Heat in California: Over the weekend, Yahoo's IM authentication servers and all of Myspace.com died because the datacenters they were in could not cope with the temperatures. I can't believe that this didn't make national news: the "Most Visited Site on the Internet" was down much of the day Saturday and no one noticed?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm madder than is apparent to those who see me on a daily basis. I got word of the official paper confirmation that these people backed out of the deal because their 17 year old son doesn't want to move. Some poor random sap might end up getting the worst of my bottled up rage... My agent said in her 18 years of selling house that this has never happened, so I guess it isn't common.

Now I need to reconnect all my services and move back a minimum amount of living essentials since I have no idea how long it will take to find another buyer. It's rather hard for me to focus on my work since I'm so angry right now.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
the "Most Visited Site on the Internet" was down much of the day Saturday and no one noticed?

I'm proud to say I have never typed that address...ever. I've never gone to the site, and only glanced at other people who were.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm really sorry your buyer backed out, Handruin. That is absolutely unconscionable. I really hope things work out for you.

ddrueding

Fixture
Too many women. Just got home this morning in time to get more clothes before my Open Ocean Sailboat race today. Yesterday was rockclimbing in the morning, Pool party for lunch, and then two different parties all night. Now I get to Sail for 12-16 hours with a hangover.

Mercutio

My car got nailed by a couple downed tree branches after the thunderstorms that passed through the area last night; my new car has two dents the size of softballs in the hood. :mad:

I'd be even more pissed, but there was basically a whole tree about 18 inches from the passenger side of my car as well.

I can't believe I slept through it all.

So, um, anyone know how to get dents out?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd assume your car uses the usual materiels? Sheet metal instead of plastic? If so, a body shop is in your future. Glad to hear your car didn't get the whole tree.

Mercutio

The Merchants of Cool, a PBS special on the marketing machine the recording industry uses to turn idiot teenagers who like bad music into sheep who buy bad music.

Also, I was comic-conventioning all weekend. This year I have pictures. I will post some of them shortly.

ddrueding

Fixture
There were a number of phrases he used that I should put on a business card:

Perverted
Teacher of unnatural sex acts
Sex deviant
Communist master of deceit

:)

Mercutio

My Pictures from Wizard World
I'm still putting comments on them but about half have some kind of explanation.

I wasn't there to take pictures but I did it when the thought occurred.

My favorite "wish I'd had the camera out" moment: Pretty young woman, maybe 20 years old, leaning down to flip through a box of old comics. Depending on your angle, you could see down her shirt or most of a thong hanging out through low-rider jeans. Someone snapped a picture. She looked up and said "Why don't you ALL take a picture! It'll last longer!"

Probably 20 guys turned around and pretty much all took a picture at once.

Also, all women are automatically hotter while wearing superhero costumes.

I have another collection of pictures I collected from around the web, people who got shots of things I didn't. Like the 6'6" black dude dressed as Thor. Blonde wig and all. Maybe I'll post those as well.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Will Rickards said:
Most popular website? probably myspace.com

Well, I've never heard anything about it. I figured that Google or similar would be the popular site.