Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Although I have to hide this post from my GF, I think they look cool. Especially in the orange or green. I do like the ability to hose out the car. It's a bit underpowered for my lead-footed driving style, but it should work quite well for you. Contrats on the new purchase ;)

Sol

Storage is cool
I'm thinking about getting a Mazda MX5... Not remotely as much space as the element but a somewhat better power to weight ratio with as good or better fuel economy... I have a slight lead-foot problem as well but I prefer to solve it with less weight rather than more power... I was always a bit wary of two doors but a few years of not using the back seat I have has kind of broken me of that prejudice...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Sol said:
I'm thinking about getting a Mazda MX5... Not remotely as much space as the element but a somewhat better power to weight ratio with as good or better fuel economy... I have a slight lead-foot problem as well but I prefer to solve it with less weight rather than more power... I was always a bit wary of two doors but a few years of not using the back seat I have has kind of broken me of that prejudice...

Sigh. I wish I could afford to think about buying an MX-5

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Those Elements always remind me of a Rubic's Cube :wink:

Everybody I know that has one loves them. Good luck with your new wheels.

Bozo :mrgrn:

ddrueding

Fixture
I was looking at an RX-8 for a while, then decided on an Evo IX, then bought a boat and am looking at motorcycles. I can never make up my mind. Meh, just bought a AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 to keep the buying urges under control.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It would be funnny to see a pissing contest between ddrueding and Supercaff.

• "I didn't know what to do this afternoon so I bought a new boat."

"Great for you. I tow my own yatch with my BMW M5, you? [looking at the Golf] Not with that little thing over there?"

"Oh that's just the car the dealer rent me while waiting for my RX-8 to arrive."

And then Santilli arrives like a dog in bowling alley...

• "Guys, I've just finished building a 6.75GB RAID 6 array to run Win Server 2003 on my quad Xeon box. Paintbrush flies on that thing like you wouldn't believe! Do you know where I can find Granite Digital SATA cables? My ATTO results are a bit low"
;-)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
CougTek said:
It would be funnny to see a pissing contest between ddrueding and Supercaff.

• "I didn't know what to do this afternoon so I bought a new boat."

"Great for you. I tow my own yatch with my BMW M5, you? [looking at the Golf] Not with that little thing over there?"

"Oh that's just the car the dealer rent me while waiting for my RX-8 to arrive."

And then Santilli arrives like a dog in bowling alley...

• "Guys, I've just finished building a 6.75GB RAID 6 array to run Win Server 2003 on my quad Xeon box. Paintbrush flies on that thing like you wouldn't believe! Do you know where I can find Granite Digital SATA cables? My ATTO results are a bit low"
;-)

ROTFLMAO!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
Umm, what's a dog in a bowling alley?
I thought this expression also existed in English.

Picture what a dog would look like if let loose in the alleys of a bowling center with people looking at it and thinking "What the Hell is it doing there?". It means something or more often someone that is unexpected, completly out of place, unrelated to the subject, but apparently unawared about it. I often think about this expression when I read Greg's posts. Part of his charm, I guess.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Tea said:
Umm, what's a dog in a bowling alley?
I thought this expression also existed in English.

Picture what a dog would look like if let loose in the alleys of a bowling center with people looking at it and thinking "What the Hell is it doing there?". It means something or more often someone that is unexpected, completly out of place, unrelated to the subject, but apparently unawared about it. I often think about this expression when I read Greg's posts. Part of his charm, I guess.

I got it straight away Coug, no problem.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks Coug!

I sort of had a picture a bit like that, but also was picturing the dog woof-woofing around excitedly (with everybody pointing at him) and running across the polished wooden flooring of the lanes, scratching it up something chronic (heartbreak for the caretaker!) and sliding around on his claws because it's so slippery.

(Sometimes, when Tannin polishes UP the floorboards in the kitchen - which is to say not very often - the cats go scooting across the kitchen at Warp Factor 7, in their usual schizoid way, then one decides to change direction for some reason and gets a big surprise! I love watching that.)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Actually guys, I'm WELL aware of my lack of computer expertise, compared to the group here. I thank you all for tolerating my presence, and, what to you, must often be stupid questions.

David: Your boat looks like a mini version of Merlin. I gather it flys downwind?

Ken Burnap, owner of Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards does Transpac, IIRC.

Similar, but bigger boat.

Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
Yep, my boat was designed for a single-handed race from SF-Hawaii. It competes regularly in transpac with 2 people. I just don't know anyone I could tolerate for 11 days. It's design is acutally based on my other keelboat (Cal 20), but has been lengthened considerably and widened moderatly without adding any weight.

Merlin is (IIRC) a Santa Cruz 72. All of the SC boats are based on my boat (designed by Olsen and Moore in Santa Cruz in the '80s).

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually had a pretty wild night last night. Worked until 3PM, raced my boat until 8PM in Monterey, then drove to SF to dance until about 2AM, then drove home. I'm kinda tired at the moment.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Stupid ape, doing a dog imitation...

David:
Used to watch the Wednesday night races in Santa Cruz, before dusk. Merlin would go out loaded with people, and I mean like the deck was full, and just walk away from all the other boats. It this case, size IS a serious advantage.
Merlin was right around 70 feet. Beautiful boat. What does your boat do downwind?

Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
A boat like Merlin in our conditions down here will race with perhaps two dozen people aboard. While going to windward all but 2 or 3 will be sitting side by side on the high side of the boat trying to keep it level. My 24-footer is best raced with 4 people on board. 20 knots isn't that unusual for mine, as it's designed to hydroplane (yes, all 2,800 lbs) downwind.

Last night I was actually sailing down the swells and back up the next one (passing them). That's pretty fast ;)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:
Swell speed. 200 miles in 8 hours, for 20 ft, 20 seconds. 51001 buoy, north of
Hawaii to Wiamea Bay. Lower duration, and size, lower speed.

Best surf session ever. Buoy goes from flat to 20 ft, 20 seconds, in one hour. Due to arrive at 12 in the afternoon. Paddle out with Mark Foo, at 11:45.
Two other guys out on short boards surfing pinballs, on tiny boards, too small for giant bay.

Sets hit at 12, at 20 feet, solid. We surf, trading waves, for 3 hours, before the boys get the word. I have to go to work, so, at 3 PM, I catch a wave, and go in. 25 guys are paddling out. at 3:20 PM, the Bay closes out, 50 feet.
My second best surfing buddy, Ken Bradshaw, had been stuck on the beach, doing a special for National Geographic, on big wave riders. He was one of the 25 paddling out. Unlike the other guys, when Ken gets caught inside by those kinds of waves, it wasn't a big deal, for him. So, 24 of the guys huddled in the channel, and, until dark, Ken gets to pick every set wave he wants.

Incredible day...

Greg

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I didn't understand any of that. Well, not the techo terms anyway, but I could read beteen the lines enough to get the flavour, and more-or-less follow the story. We are talking seriously big waves in that part of the world, right? Famous for it, yes?

PS: I like your new sig.

--------------------

Munch, munch, munch.

LunarMist

ddrueding said:
I actually had a pretty wild night last night. Worked until 3PM, raced my boat until 8PM in Monterey, then drove to SF to dance until about 2AM, then drove home. I'm kinda tired at the moment.

Wild? Nah, that sounds pretty typical - for you. :D

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ok. Waves move at different speeds. The bigger they are, the faster they travel. Swell size is determined by wave height, and duration: Open ocean wave height is monitored by NOAA weather buoys all over the world.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=51001

By listening to the weather buoy, on the North Shore of Oahu, we could estimate when swells would hit the islands. I spent ten years chasing the biggest waves I could find, as you said, on THE place in the world known for giant waves. We got very good at predicting when big swells would arrive. A 20 second duration swell meant very big waves, for the height.
Longer the duration, the bigger the wave becomes when it hits the reef, in addition to it's height.

David's post got me thinking, so I checked the wave height and speed that night. Wasn't super big, so the wave speed, and duration, indicated his boat, while hauling tail, wasn't moving in the 20 mile an hour range, because the swell duration, and size, indicated a speed more like 10-15 miles an hour. David's bought is designed to sit up and hydroplane, going down wind. In other words, the boat actually DOES surf, if the conditions are right.

Mark Foo and Ken Bradshaw are two of the most famous big wave riders of all time. I surfed with Ken a LOT. Mainly because he would ALWAYS go out with me, unless he had something else he had to do, which was very rare. We LIVED for giant waves, and arranged our schedules that way. Foo and I were cordial, but, mainly because we surfed Wiamea when we could. This was just prior to the insanity that was caused by the Eddie Aikau contest, and, the Bilabong 50k for biggest wave contests. The Bay is pretty much unrideable, now due to wannabe big wave guys, and pros, trying to get giant waves for cash.

Just for reference: Big wave riding, without towing in, using an artifical
speed source, is very difficult. The waves are moving towards the beach at 25 miles an hour. You have to use your arms to paddle near that fast, on a giant board, and as the wave hits the reef, it easily doubles in size.
So, you have a 4-5 story building, moving at 25 miles an hour, that you are trying to catch, by running on your hands. When you catch it, you have to jump up, get your balance, usually blind, because for it to be good, the wind is blowing in your face, blinding you with spray. If you do all this, you drop about 40-50 feet, pretty much straight down, and hope there isn't a bigger one behind the one you caught.

For Wiamea to close out, the wave faces are in the 40-80 foot range. A closeout means a wave so big, it breaks outside the bay, peaking in the middle of the bay, and crashing over at once, in one giant wall of 30-40 foot white water.

Closeouts are about as big as this wave Ken towed into, on an outer reef.
Towin surfing is really waterskiing, on surfboards, into waves. We did it in Santa Cruz, but using a boat, on a lake, in the early 70's.

The wave below is from a day like I was talking about, but, bigger. Ken road a giant wave that day, considered by many the biggest of all time, and no one got a real good shot of it. Weird, but, that's his kind of luck.

The irony of this, for me, is this day just happens to have fallen on my birthday, and, I wasn't there, having moved back to the mainland to go to law school.
wavejan98.jpg

http://www.kenbradshaw.com/order2/

:cry: :x

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
By the way, this is Outer Log cabins, which is out Wiamea Bay, and to the north. You can see how big the waves are going to be, by how they break at Outer Logs. After breaking out there, they roll into the Bay, with awesome results.

Greg

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Ridiculous PPi reading:

Lupron Depot is indicated for the palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer. The most common side effect associated with Lupron Depot is hot flashes. Like other treatment options, LH-RH agonists may cause impotence. Symptoms may worsen over the first few weeks of treatment. Periodic monitoring of PSA and serum testosterone levels is recommended. Lupron Depot–4 Month 30mg, –3 Month 22.5mg and 7.5mg dosage forms are not indicated for use in women. :eek:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
LOST6200 said:
Ridiculous PPi reading:

Lupron Depot is indicated for the palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer. The most common side effect associated with Lupron Depot is hot flashes. Like other treatment options, LH-RH agonists may cause impotence. Symptoms may worsen over the first few weeks of treatment. Periodic monitoring of PSA and serum testosterone levels is recommended. Lupron Depot–4 Month 30mg, –3 Month 22.5mg and 7.5mg dosage forms are not indicated for use in women. :eek:

At least its not contraindicated!

LunarMist

ddrueding said:
The hostname of their server is:

Code:
[Reached Destination]hey.mpaa.and.apb.bite.my.shiny.metal.ass.thepiratebay.org.

OK, now I get it. :) I suppose this is some sophomoric humor by some of the copyright infringement criminals or supporters.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Howell said:
LOST6200 said:
Ridiculous PPi reading:

At least its not contraindicated!

Unless the drugo has otheri ndixcations, I doubt it was clincialy testes in women. ;)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
LunarMist said:
ddrueding said:
The hostname of their server is:

Code:
[Reached Destination]hey.mpaa.and.apb.bite.my.shiny.metal.ass.thepiratebay.org.

OK, now I get it. :) I suppose this is some sophomoric humor by some of the copyright infringement criminals or supporters.

But I think sevres don not have shiny metals asses like robots of the olden day. Aren't they just in the racknmounts?