Something Random

time

Storage? I am Storage!
When I checked a couple of days ago, he hadn't posted for about a month. I assumed he was just taking a break and that someone else here knew more.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Last time Buck took a long break from posting it was because he was on vacation. The time before that he was very ill, which is why I was concerned enough to ask if anyone had heard anything.

If something happened to him, we'd never actually know, would we?

Fushigi's also been gone a while, for the record.

:(

GaryH tends to post when he has news or something to sell. Could be we haven't seen him because he hasn't been to any interesting trade shows or vendor meetings in the last little while.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tony's been drinking too much again. Now he's seeing red elephants. I thought when one is drunk, one sees pink elephants. Maybe his glasses are red colored instead of being rose colored.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh, I get it. The ellie needs to find his feet in the grass so he can walk. Looks like I've been drinking too much. Hic.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:

Although I appreciate the content of the article, and agree with it's conclusions, I have to say that that was the least neutral article I've read in a long time. Dripping with sarcasm and implications of things not proven, it makes it difficult to swallow as a whole.

I don't hate all conservatives, just religious fanatics.

Mercutio

What reason is there to see the "conservative" side of the story as even possibily correct?
There's a vaccine that can prevent cancer and they don't like it because, in their worldview, that might lead to someone having more sex.

Wow. First of all, what young woman is thinking "Now that I probably won't get cervical cancer, I can have all the sex I want!"?
Second what's the causal relationship between having sex and taking a vaccine that can prevent cancer, anyway? All it does is take away a tiny little stick that idiots might use to browbeat someone who might be interested in extra-curricular sex. Because things like pregnancy, AIDS, herpes and the possibility of sexual assault aren't compelling enough reason.

Last time I checked, it wasn't the job of any US government agency to decide when, where or with whom anyone has sex. Why can't relgious conservatives comprehend that their values are not and should not be the only values to whom people in the USA subscribe?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yup, I'm still alive and healthy. No vacation either. I've just been very busy with work and some personal affairs. I probably won't post much for a little bit longer. As I'm out and about, I'll see if I can find the Bartender too.

Handy, I read about your health improvement program and the progress you've made -- congratulations! I'm sure you've felt the benefits of it now, and they'll only get better with time.

Time to see if I can find a glass of Claude Chatelier XO. Take care everyone, I'll be back.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio: "Last time I checked, it wasn't the job of any US government agency to decide when, where or with whom anyone has sex"

Or the church

Bozo :mrgrn:

paugie

Storage is cool
Mercutio: "Last time I checked, it wasn't the job of any US government agency to decide when, where or with whom anyone has sex"

Or the church
I agree. I am an evangelical. And I work with NGO's involved with street children and in empowering youth in their communities. We see the need to teach teens about safe sex and contraception and we do so. It is also true that evangelicals who think this way and do what we do are very few. And I find it laughable that people who say they believe in the Christian God and at the same time seem not to value life over belief don't realize they live a paradox. (does that english make sense?)[/quote]

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
does that english make sense?
Very much so, Paugie. I take my hat off to you for spotting the paradox, as well as trying to do something about it.

hear, hear.

And gratefully I think the tide is turning. I see more and more people my age more interested in actually helping people than shackling them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
What reason is there to see the "conservative" side of the story as even possibily correct?
There's a vaccine that can prevent cancer and they don't like it because, in their worldview, that might lead to someone having more sex.

Wow. First of all, what young woman is thinking "Now that I probably won't get cervical cancer, I can have all the sex I want!"?
Second what's the causal relationship between having sex and taking a vaccine that can prevent cancer, anyway? All it does is take away a tiny little stick that idiots might use to browbeat someone who might be interested in extra-curricular sex. Because things like pregnancy, AIDS, herpes and the possibility of sexual assault aren't compelling enough reason.

Last time I checked, it wasn't the job of any US government agency to decide when, where or with whom anyone has sex. Why can't relgious conservatives comprehend that their values are not and should not be the only values to whom people in the USA subscribe?

Preaching to the choir Merc, I agree with what was said; I just think that they (and to a lesser extent, you) would get further by not being so emotionally wrapped up in the thing. Like a PR guy on NPR said: keep to the facts that no one can dismiss; they're bad enough, and will keep anyone trying to argue from working around to the facts to any "easy outs" you may provide.

Mercutio

I'm a moral relativist. I don't really believe there's such a thing as evil. However, there are things that I find to be despicable and worthy of hate. Social conservatives who seek to further their opinions in the public sphere truly disgust me.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
ddrueding said:
Meanwhile I'll mourn the loss of ~100,000 songs from my library due to my stupidity about 30 minutes ago...

I don't wanna re-rip them all :cry:

This is StorageForum Brother ddrueding! Confess thy sins! It is good for the soul, and, we can all have a good laugh :lol:

Come on, it's not like none of us haven't done something similar on the odd occasion. :oops:

Mercutio

Methinks ddrueding's iPod went in the drink. If so, ouch.
Probably not worse than letting 20 400GB drives fall down 10 feet of concrete stairs, but still bad.

On the other hand, if he didn't have 100,000 MP3s backed up at all, I think we should change his forum title to "Goofus" or something. :)

Mercutio said:
Social conservatives who seek to further their opinions in the public sphere truly disgust me.

Hey everyone, look at this! Is there any way in this is not utterly reprehensible? Is there any positive outcome or justification in making a video game that encourages one to convert Gays, Muslims and Catholics to "christianity" through the use of violence?

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope, the iPod didn't go in the drink. It can't hold 100k songs anyway. This was off my primary fileserver, and was backed up to a 500GB USB drive. Unfortunatly, while running one of those utilities that rename songs and remove duplicates it decided to delete the majority of my songs. The USB drive was at a friends, on loan, and found itself swimming in soda. I know it's bad to loan out the backups, but what are the odds of some thing bad happening to both at the same time?

Re: that video game, look on the bright side; it gives us an excuse for shooting back ;)

Sol

Storage is cool
What are you talking about Mercutio? A game where you get to summon deamons and send them out into the streets of New York to eat fundamentalist Christians... That sounds great...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
ddrueding said:
Unfortunatly, while running one of those utilities that rename songs and remove duplicates it decided to delete the majority of my songs. The USB drive was at a friends, on loan, and found itself swimming in soda. I know it's bad to loan out the backups, but what are the odds of some thing bad happening to both at the same time?

Re: that video game, look on the bright side; it gives us an excuse for shooting back ;)

Murphy strikes again. Sounds like a crap rename utility though.

ddrueding

Fixture
LiamC said:
Sounds like a crap rename utility though.

Yep. I had been using Moodlogic, which costs $10US for every 10,000 songs. It works great and has tons of features. Then I say one which was free and decided to try. I didn't even notice until a week later (on vacation) and by then I had too much disk activity to even try an undelete.

For the record the name of the tool was the "MusicBrainz Tagger".

Mercutio

ddrueding, have you tried Get Data Back NTFS on the befunged volume yet?
'Cause I'm almost positive it'll work for what you need.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
ddrueding, have you tried Get Data Back NTFS on the befunged volume yet?
'Cause I'm almost positive it'll work for what you need.

I haven't. Considering I lost about 300GB of MP3s, then promptly added 500GB of video to the volume with only 300GB free, I figured there wasn't a chance. I'll run it now.

Mercutio

My car died today. It turn it on and the car shakes violently. The engine dies and the Check Engine, Oil, Brake and Battery lights stay on.

I've had my car for as long as I've been driving.
I am sad.

Mercutio

This particular car is my day-to-day car, a 95 Taurus with 183,056 miles on it.
I also have a Crown Vic, but I've got an offer of $1500 for it, so it's gone. Time for a newer car.

Found a Honda Element. 25mpg and it has storage space. Spiffy!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That sucks. I'm likewise having computer and car problems.

Seems the oil seals blew, and the car is gushing oil, into the timing chain area, and out onto the muffler and cat.

700 dollars later, I hope it was worth doing. My car has 248,000 miles on it, and, I've had it since new. Don't know if the oil problem I was having was really due to valve guides, rings, or the oil leaks, until they are all fixed.

We'll see.

Greg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Found a Honda Element. 25mpg and it has storage space. Spiffy!
The Manhattan kitten will kill you if you buy a square box like the Element. If you want the interior space of the Element and reasonable fuel consumption, you should look at the Honda Odyssey. At least it is somehow aerodynamic. The Odyssey has a 240hp V6 with similar fuel economy as the 156hp 4 cylinders of the Element. It costs a bit more to buy, but nothing someone with your income wouldn't call pocket change ;-)

Mercutio

The Element is teh Awesome. $17k for a 2003 model with 6022 miles on it.
25mpg and a decent back seat that I can move to the side or remove entirely as needed. 100,000 mile warranty, too.
And the one I bought has an aftermarket stereo in it. :D

It took all of about 20 minutes for me to write a check for my down payment and get the financing squared away. I told Carmax I wanted that car and they had it ready for me when I got there.

The big thing about the Element is that it's entirely plastic. It's made to be hosed out when it gets dirty on the inside. No carpet, no leather, just vinyl or plastic. Despite that, it's nice to sit in and seems pretty much designed for my needs.

I am pleased with it.

As far as the Odyssey...
My mother had one. A 2002 with around 50,000 miles on it, mom had the 60,000 mile service done, put new tires on it and told me back in December that "Whatever the dealer offers, we'll give it to you for that price."
Which is why she went ahead and had the service work done.

Now, this car was immaculate. Kept in a heated garage and only used for trips to see my grandmother (200 mile round trips four or five times a month, all highway driving). Never in an accident, no one ever even ATE in it.

I wanted that car so bad I could taste it.

So a couple months ago, old Mom decided she wanted a new car. An Odyssey with a sunroof. She she and my father went to the Honda dealer.

I got a call, 2PM on a Sunday afternoon. While I was working, at 2PM on a Sunday. "We're going to look for a new van." She reminded me that I said I'd buy the old one. I'm working and it's Sunday, so I'm thinking "I'll deal with this on Monday morning."

3:15PM, I get another call. From my father, the stern negotiator. "We traded in your van. You'll have to deal with the dealer. He says he'll honor our deal. He gave us $12,000 for the old one."

So I go to the dealership, 8:30AM Monday morning. The service center hadn't been open over the weekend at all, but the salesfuck said "We found many serious mechanical problems with that vehicle. We're looking at $4,700 in additional repairs before we can even sell it to you."

So my $12,000 car became a $16,700 car. They also demanded that I pay tax on the car, which I shouldn't have to in Indiana - if I had purchased the vehicle directly from my parents I wouldn't have to. So that was another $2,000.

So $18,700 and we haven't even talked about financing.

My credit is damned near perfect. I could put down a massive down payment. The dealer offered me 12% interest on a five year loan.
I got up and left.
They started calling me at weird hours (7:30AM, 9PM), asking when I was going to come and buy the car. I talked to five different people, told them to stop calling. Finally I called Honda of North America. Then the calls stopped.

Those people lost my business.

I started looking at Carmax. That was a totally different experience. The guy who did my paperwork asked me where I looked for my loan info, and suggested three or four other online companies that might give me a better offer.

Sol

Storage is cool
That element is one ugly car... Looking at thier official website they come in a few flavours but start at a bit under 18K... Generally I'd stay away from new cars as a little too expensive but less than 1K for a car 3 years newer and with 0 on the clock just kinda seems like it would have been worth it... I have to assume you got one of the more expensive models, I just can't see why you'd bother, all the important features seem to be in the base model... Side airbags (or 4WD) vs new car, can't say I'd have made your choice... What features did you get that you wouldn't have gotten from a new one at that price?

Mercutio

Mine is the top-end model with all the extra crap on it (EX, I think). $18k is the base model. The one I have was about $23k new. Aside from that, I didn't have to deal with the local Honda dealer, which is worth a bunch of money all by itself.
Also mine had a mega-warranty rolled into the price. Honda's basic warranty is only 3 years.

And Elements aren't pretty, but have you ever seen an Aztek?