Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
What's the point of e-mails having unsubscribe and subscription management links if they don't actually unsubscribe you? I'm not talking about random spam, but promotional e-mails from companies like Dell and others. I've unsubscribed and yet they keep coming, and coming and coming. In some cases I wouldn't mind a weekly or maybe twice a week e-mail with some deals in it, but of course if some of these clowns didn't send me multiple e-mails a day so I've taken to trying to stop them. Next step is to report them as spam.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Most I've requested did stop, but only after several more weeks. It usually says in their fine print that a 3rd party does the e-mails, and that your address will be removed the next time they update the list with that 3rd party.

Handruin

Administrator
I've also seen them take several weeks for the emails to stop. In the few cases where they haven't stopped I did just begin marking it as spam and that solved my issue.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I always mark spam as SPAM, even if I've already unsubscribed. A recent online purchase from a department store had an option to sign up for email advertisements during checkout. I dutifully unchecked this and finished my transaction. A few days later I started receiving advertisements unrelated to my purchase. While I was able to easily unsubscribe, I still think they should be punished for sending me unsolicited advertisements.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So someone gave me their crappy Cloudbook 11 in return for my help in locating a decent deal for a new laptop. For those wondering, I set them up with a refurbished T420 with an 8GB RAM upgrade and 250GB SSD for $320 total. They're very happy with it. Back to the Cloudbook, specs are 2GB soldered DDR3L, 32GB soldered eMMC storage, and a Celeron N3050.

Immediately I wiped out the Windows 10 install, replaced it with Arch Linux. Needed special parameters just to boot and function properly, this isn't specific to just this particular machine but apparently all Cloudbooks and some other Braswell machines: edd=off, noapic, modprobe.blacklist: pin_ctrl_cherryview. I can't tell you how long I struggled with this, in particular getting X working before I figured out that third parameter, you'd laugh too hard to read the rest of the post. Hey, at least it's working now, and I'm learning something.

My DE of choice here is LXDE. I considered a WM, but I wanted some of the conveniences that a DE would provide and LXDE fit the bill. I'm using about 210MB RAM on bootup. Web browser is QupZilla (with Chrome installed for Pepper Flash and Widevine support), mail is through Sylpheed, and IRC is through Hexchat, which seems to use less RAM than I remember it using once upon a time. Added a cheap 128GB flash drive for a /home partition after installation (and subsequent realization that I needed more space if I was going to put my music on here). The 32GB worked fine for swap and /, though. Kind of sad to see bluetooth audio is easier to set up and more reliable than on Windows.

That was a fun project, I was thinking of having it more as a backup machine in the event of catastrophe than actually using it. Still, it works pretty well as a basic use machine. I probably couldn't sell this thing if I tried just because the performance is rather underwhelming. Actually a bit worse than the N2830 I had some two years prior to this.

Big positives to this machine are the touchpad and battery life. The trackpad, even in the basic mode (defined in the BIOS) it needed to be in to work on Linux, is delightfully responsive and sensitive, one of the best I've ever used. Meanwhile the battery manages a rather impressive for being built in 8 hours. And I have no trouble getting 8 hours and sometimes more from it.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I saw this interesting post about plotting the temperatures over the past 136 years. Some may have seen it but it's neat and alarming to see how this past August has been the warmest ever recorded.

tempanoms_gis_august2016.gif

Stereodude

Not really a
Sarcastically helpful as always.
What do you mean? NASA has been massaging the data for years trying to show whatever it is that they want to show.

http://principia-scientific.org/nasa-exposed-in-massive-new-climate-data-fraud/
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com...-altered-us-temperatures-after-the-year-2000/

There have been cases where temperature sensors have been proven to be faulty after showing abnormally high readings for some months on end, they were replaced, the readings went back to normal, but the bad readings were not corrected or removed.
http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2015/08/20/the_latest_climate_kerfuffle_1397.html

Handruin

Administrator
What do you mean? NASA has been massaging the data for years trying to show whatever it is that they want to show.

http://principia-scientific.org/nasa-exposed-in-massive-new-climate-data-fraud/
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com...-altered-us-temperatures-after-the-year-2000/

There have been cases where temperature sensors have been proven to be faulty after showing abnormally high readings for some months on end, they were replaced, the readings went back to normal, but the bad readings were not corrected or removed.
http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2015/08/20/the_latest_climate_kerfuffle_1397.html

If you had omitted your previous post and just posted this it would have been more useful in learning about the differences that I was unaware of. I don't object to the temperature information being wrong it was just how you began the delivery of your response which felt slightly antagonistic. It's not a big deal, just passing along how it felt which lead me to respond in a similar manner.

Handruin

Administrator
Also after you posted your info, my next thought lead my to wonder what NOAA has found with respect to temperatures and in your second link I found this quote.

"Last week, scientists from the United States Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that a study of temperature readings for the contiguous 48 states over the last century showed there had been no significant change in average temperature over that period. Dr. (Phil) Jones said in a telephone interview today that his own results for the 48 states agreed with those findings."

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What's the point of e-mails having unsubscribe and subscription management links if they don't actually unsubscribe you? I'm not talking about random spam, but promotional e-mails from companies like Dell and others. I've unsubscribed and yet they keep coming, and coming and coming. In some cases I wouldn't mind a weekly or maybe twice a week e-mail with some deals in it, but of course if some of these clowns didn't send me multiple e-mails a day so I've taken to trying to stop them. Next step is to report them as spam.

I receive so much spam at work that it is ridiculous. :mad: Unsubscribing is mostly useless.
The bastards often use clever, ambiguous e-mail titles and of course they have my correct name.
Most of the spam is for IT products and services that I have no clue about, and some are for HR or finance.
I'm not in any of those departments, but must be on lists somewhere.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If you visit the NYT article the guy has cherry-picked from, you will see the full text from Dr Phil Jones:

"Dr. Phil Jones, a climatologist at East Anglia, said global temperatures rose on average about one degree Fahrenheit since the beginning of the century. He said the six warmest years on record were, in order, 1988, 1987, 1983, 1981, 1980 and 1986.
Last week, scientists from the United States Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that a study of temperature readings for the contiguous 48 states over the last century showed there had been no significant change in average temperature over that period.

Dr. Jones said in a telephone interview today that his own results for the 48 states agreed with those findings. But he said there was no inconsistency between the apparent stable trend in the United States and the rise in global temperature because the 48 states cover a very small fraction of the earth's surface and there are bound to be regional variations in climate."

The article was actually about international results from thousands of monitoring stations, reported by British scientists (nothing to do with NASA or UN conspiracies I'm afraid). It was also 27 1/2 years ago, when scientists had a theory but were reluctant to attribute individual or localized events to it. Actually, they're still reluctant, but climate change deniers are incapable of understanding the scientific method.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't have anything random to share, but with that said I think this is random enough. What's new with you these days?

LunarMist

I'm trying to seek medical assistance, but they are not interested in me unless there is an emergency. They don't want to do MRI.
I equaled my personal best speed from 2014 and lungs are OK. I'm down to 6x200 mg per day.

The f*cking IRS scammers are leaving like 5 calls a day now. Then there is some other dipsh*t calling about a lottery package. Do they think I'm a moron? :mad:
My mailbox is full from all this crap.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm trying to seek medical assistance, but they are not interested in me unless there is an emergency. They don't want to do MRI.
I equaled my personal best speed from 2014 and lungs are OK. I'm down to 6x200 mg per day.

The f*cking IRS scammers are leaving like 5 calls a day now. Then there is some other dipsh*t calling about a lottery package. Do they think I'm a moron? :mad:
My mailbox is full from all this crap.

That's nice about the speed, congrats. What are you taking so much of that you need 6x200mg? Is that Advil?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had vertigo for the last 4 days, it feels very uncomfortable.

Me too, although it's now been 9 days. It's been pretty mild, mainly affecting me when I lay down and particularly when laying on my right side. Otherwise, it's just been dizziness rather than the spinning.

I'm assuming CougTek is deliberately conflating vertigo with acrophobia. :p

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I passed a kidney stone on Thursday. It was a healthy 4mm.

This doesn't affect everyone the same way, but for me it was an ambulance and the most severe pain I've ever experienced in my life - I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I hope it was a little less dramatic for you.

LunarMist

This doesn't affect everyone the same way, but for me it was an ambulance and the most severe pain I've ever experienced in my life - I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I hope it was a little less dramatic for you.

I've seen someone with it and they were pale and puking in the car.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm getting over a cold, it's possible that the vertigo is related to that. I feel better today. Not 100% but better nonetheless.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

There was puke involved, though I promise I was awake for the whole damned thing. I've basically been sleeping ever since. Today is the first day my side isn't killing me.

Handruin

Administrator
There was puke involved, though I promise I was awake for the whole damned thing. I've basically been sleeping ever since. Today is the first day my side isn't killing me.

Many years ago in college I had one and it was awful. My lower right back was in such intense pain for so many hours that I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did. I never got to the point where I puked though but I can appreciate some of the pain involved.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Ech. On my T450 I've switched back to Chrome from Vivaldi because it uses far, far FAR, far too much RAM (6GB for only ~30 tabs) and the UI has gotten so slow it makes Windows 95 on a 386SX look speedy by comparison. I like the tab stacking but I don't like it enough to deal with that nonsense for it.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Also, it's finally happened, I'm using more than half of my 2TB drive. If you told me even three years ago that I'd somehow find a way to use even 1TB I'd laugh. At the time I couldn't even fill a 250GB drive halfway. And that was basically my only storage medium at the time, too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OUCH! They use ultrasound to pulverize the stone into smaller pieces. Did you not know you had it?

Medical care here in Indiana is not what I would call affordable (my state government sabotaged the ACA as much as it possibly could) and anything I have done would be out of pocket. I may yet go get medical imaging but I'd have to go to Chicago to have the pulverize thing done, were that necessary. They can also put in a stent to directly irrigate other stones I might have. I'm still having pain, but that may be incidental to the primary event or evidence of additional stones to come. Yay.

sed said:
If you told me even three years ago that I'd somehow find a way to use even 1TB I'd laugh

When I went away to college, I went with a then-impossibily-large 1768GB SCSI2 hard drive that I thought would be absolutely unfillable (a brand new desktop might've had a 350MB IDE drive at the time). I filled that sucker in four months off a 9600bps serial connection to the pre-web internet. This is an amusing parallel for me.