Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Today, Trump could launch the nuclear missiles targetting China, it still wouldn't make the headlines here. The only there is on TV is the local hockey team's coach Michel Therrien being fired and replaced by Claude Julien, the ex-Bruins coach.

Now I remember why I stopped paying for cable TV a decade ago.

All anyone cares about here is the dam. I hope we don't lose all of the water.

LunarMist

Oh I hope it is not boiling.

I think the chicken at the reception wAs toxic.

ddrueding

Fixture
Probably fine. Haven't gone to see anyone yet. Wife is figuring something out. Didn't mean to raise an alarm or anything, just a random comment in the random thread.

LunarMist

Way to miss the reference Buechner.

I was not even stationed in the states when Kindergarten Cop was playing!
Apparently it was released in the US during Desert Shield, but most other places during/after Desert Storm.
At the time I was very busy managing production operations on site and not allowed to travel.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Sometimes I want to put aside cash and build a no-holds-barred desktop... Something with an i7, 16GB of RAM at minimum, and a 1060 or better...

Then I remember I have work and classes and no time to use it for anything, so all it'd do is contribute meagerly (compared to those of you with 980s in SLI or whatever crazy hardware setup you've got) to the F@H project until it's hopelessly obsolete.

Arch is pissing me off with some less-than-okay decisions it's making (dropping i686 support entirely, just to name ONE). I literally can't update my OpenRC installs because pacman -Syu bombs out with sysvinit and elogind being in conflict. Those being basically ticking time bombs of insecurities now, I'm planning to go to Void on the Cloudbook this weekend, see how I like it, and if I find it satisfactory I'll use it to replace the Arch part of my Win10/Arch dual boot. I also want to play around with LVM, encryption and BTRFS since I don't have any multi-drive volumes.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Arch is pissing me off with some less-than-okay decisions it's making (dropping i686 support entirely, just to name ONE).
Arch is changing the i686 version to a second-tier community supported version, the same as the PPC and ARM versions of Arch...

Does this change effect you in any manner? (You sig would indicate not).

Also, why OpenRC instead of systemd?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sometimes I want to put aside cash and build a no-holds-barred desktop... Something with an i7, 16GB of RAM at minimum, and a 1060 or better...

Keep your money for important stuff, not computers. I earn way more than you do (well, all of us do) and my home computer is close to 6 years old. When you'll finish your studies, have a job, figured out how much it really cost you to pay your rent, groceries, electricity, internet access, phone, daily commute, insurances, whatever...and know how much leftover cash you'll have (won't be much for your first job), then you'll know how much you can spend on a nice computer and how many months it will take you to earn it.

Before that, keep your money.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Arch is changing the i686 version to a second-tier community supported version, the same as the PPC and ARM versions of Arch...

Does this change effect you in any manner? (You sig would indicate not).

Also, why OpenRC instead of systemd?

PPC Arch is dead. Has been since 2013. Arch for ARM is only active because the RPi exists.

I have a couple PIIIs and P4s I kick around for various things under Linux. I like to standardize on one distribution. With i686 looking at getting axed (second tier support == it'll be around for another year at most) I'd like to move to a distro that isn't looking at dropping it anytime soon.

I use OpenRC because it has actual repos on Arch, as opposed to building everything for runit, which is what I actually prefer and is default on Void, hence why I'm looking at it. I don't like systemd's one size fits all approach, and while sticking that much on PID 1 isn't a big problem in practice I can see how it can become one. That and the devs attitudes are kind of crappy, but that's besides the point. I hate the fact that it has just about consumed the entire Linux landscape. It's very hard to find a distro that doesn't use it. Gentoo and Void are the only two that I can name offhand.

Last edited:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
while sticking that much on PID 1 isn't a big problem in practice I can see how it can become one.
You might want to recheck that assumption...

Code:
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.1  0.0  53316  6648 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /sbin/init
root       205  0.0  0.0  77248 18692 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
root       232  0.0  0.0  38032  3924 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
systemd+   438  0.0  0.0 114200  3772 ?        Ssl  12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd
dbus       451  0.0  0.0  33168  3664 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
systemd+   452  0.0  0.0  40784  3860 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
root       456  0.0  0.0  38560  4688 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind
systemd+   468  0.0  0.0  38596  3816 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-resolved
darran     560  0.0  0.0  54784  6232 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
darran     582  0.0  0.0  32756  3156 ?        Ss   12:52   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
darran    1383  0.0  0.0  10756  2156 pts/0    S+   13:02   0:00 grep systemd

Most of the additional systemd functionality is split into modules that are isolated from the code that runs as PID 1. /sbin/init (at least on Arch) only does init/service runtime management.

As for the other points, I agree with most of them... Have you looked at Slackware? Maybe start looking at FreeBSD?

PS. Have you seen: http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
You might want to recheck that assumption...

Interesting. That isn't the behavior I noticed when I was running systemd, but it is interesting nonetheless. I haven't used it in a while so maybe this is some new thing?

As for the other points, I agree with most of them... Have you looked at Slackware? Maybe start looking at FreeBSD?

I've looked at both of them and find them a little lacking. I prefer the runit init system to pure BSD init scripts and find void's xbps package manager to be an interesting beast. Sucks that I had to request so many packages and build so much from source manually, but then, it's mostly games I need to do this for, so I can't complain too much I guess. All I really need is WINE, Darkplaces, GemRB and GZDoom anyway. All my productivity programs are around in one form or another.

Indeed I have! My first OpenRC install followed the guide to migrate from systemd. I used the same guide as a resource for when I was setting up a fresh install using the Arch-OpenRC ISO.

Stereodude

Not really a
Random fact: You can saturate a 1GbE connection reading FLAC files while converting them to AAC. It took a dual processor E5-2670 v1 system doing 32 conversions at the same time and it runs along at ~800x, but it is possible! :bomb:

Stereodude

Not really a
Time to get 10Gb adapters!
I have a couple of them. My server has one in it but it's currently got nothing connected to it. I used another in my old server to connect the two together when I did the mass data migration from old to new. However, I don't have a 10Gb switch or the in wall infrastructure for SFP+.

LunarMist

Random fact: You can saturate a 1GbE connection reading FLAC files while converting them to AAC. It took a dual processor E5-2670 v1 system doing 32 conversions at the same time and it runs along at ~800x, but it is possible! :bomb:

Copying or writing a decent sized file to a single drive easily runs into the 112MB wall.

Stereodude

Not really a
Copying or writing a decent sized file to a single drive easily runs into the 112MB wall.
Well yes, but this isn't straight copy or writing. This is reading music files for format conversion. It's obviously of a corner case. This is the first time I've had that process saturate a 1GbE with a single computer doing that task. I thought it was interesting enough to make a post.

I remember back in the day compressing mp3's at 15-20x and thinking it was flying. ~800x is just a little bit different.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I think I've found an interesting little distro that might just serve my needs perfectly, a Debian fork called Devuan. It offers quite a bit of choice as to the init systems you can use. It's still in beta but asking around in their IRC room tells me the only thing that has been broken in recent memory is GNOME, and that's expected given its intricate ties to systemd. If I can use certain normal Debian repos, then I may just be golden. I'll be running their testing release if they have one.

LunarMist

It's for same job I've had for the past 15 months.

BTW, I made it. We basically flew over the North Pole.

I thought you quit the Chinese, but maybe I misunderstood. :scratch:
It sucks that they make you travel coach internationally. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Why not just a KVM-over-IP solution like the Lantronix spider devices? Is the interface more responsive via the USB cable?

For larger installations the spider is great. But I still support small companies with 1 or 2 headless servers in a closet. At the moment they have crappy old LCDs on them that hardly ever work and ball mice that never work.

Stereodude

Not really a
I thought you quit the Chinese, but maybe I misunderstood. :scratch:
It sucks that they make you travel coach internationally. :(
I wish I wasn't, but I'm still at the same job. FWIW, I've never had a job where I've flown business class internationally.

LunarMist

I wish I wasn't, but I'm still at the same job. FWIW, I've never had a job where I've flown business class internationally.

In the old days I used to get one-way tickets. I don't think that is allowed in some countries now.