Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The highest I've worked was on a 12th floor. I don't like heights and my desk was set against the window. Didn't like it too much.

Now my desk is on the second floor, center of the building, so no windows. However, I work pretty much wherever I want to. Since we have 5 offices, I can even chose where I want to work. I've never been to our Toronto office though. I should pay them a visit next summer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, I'm PUI (St-Patrick oblige). I'm ready for a drunken brawl if anyone feels like it. Or a deep phylosophical discussion. Your choice.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Just to be sure I couldn't coax my old drive to work just long enough to recover my music from it (it'll be a pain to re-rip all those CDs, after all) I hooked it up to one of those cheap USB to SATA/IDE converters. Nothing I tried could get it working again, and I tried several other drives on the adapter and they all worked. So I decided to get some catharsis out on the old drive, and simultaneously prevent the drive from ever being recovered by nefarious third parties, and toss it against a couple cinderblock walls. It turned the tiny rattle into what sounded like a maraca. I think I turned the platters into a fine dust. I'm pretty comfortable with sending it on to recycling now.

Working at UPS while taking classes is awful but I did it all to myself by thinking I could handle it. Long story short, I can't. I'm constantly having to choose what aspect of my life to neglect. But it is doing some small wonders for my body -- I've actually slimmed down a bit, and I've gone from being able to carry at most about 120 pounds to well over 140. It's no weightlifting regimen for sure but it's better than the nothing I was doing before.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I the only one who didn't know there has been and continues to be a global shortage of NAND, affecting SSD supply?

Handruin

Administrator
I was only made aware of it because of supply issues from the server manufacturer we're using is pushing out the timeline for server availability in the range of months when using NVMe drives. I've actually been spending the past several days recoding parts of the project I work on to adjust for these changes. We are switching from NMVe-SSD back to SAS-SSD because there is more supply of those but they're still limited. The info we were given is that NAND is being prioritized for mobile/table/etc causing the shortage.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I the only one who didn't know there has been and continues to be a global shortage of NAND, affecting SSD supply?
I wasn't directly aware of it, but I was curious why SSD prices are still the same or slightly higher than they were about a year ago. If they had been following their historical trajectory, we should have seen at least a 25% drop.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Working at UPS while taking classes is awful but I did it all to myself by thinking I could handle it. Long story short, I can't. I'm constantly having to choose what aspect of my life to neglect.
Always chose to neglect the job at UPS over your study. Your diploma will allow you to access a job better than UPS. UPS will only give ~20$/h for the rest of your life. We all earn more than that here. Some by a lot.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Working at UPS while taking classes is awful but I did it all to myself by thinking I could handle it. Long story short, I can't. I'm constantly having to choose what aspect of my life to neglect. But it is doing some small wonders for my body -- I've actually slimmed down a bit, and I've gone from being able to carry at most about 120 pounds to well over 140. It's no weightlifting regimen for sure but it's better than the nothing I was doing before.
Don't feel bad. I actually got fired from my first (and only) work-study job for not showing up during study break. I thought I had my shift covered, but the guy who said he would cover it was a no-show also. To make a long story short, it was a blessing in disguise. Next semester my grades improved tremendously. I didn't bother working for the rest of my college days. Same problem as you-I had a choice of neglecting work or study. Since college cost a pretty penny and the work study jobs basically were just spending money, I picked study over work. Of course, I got some flack from it from other students. Easy for them to work with a liberal arts curriculum. Engineering had me up studying until 3 in the morning most of the time. Not sure where I was supposed to find time there to work, at least unless I would have been happy with a C average.

As Coug said, the studies are more important.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Always chose to neglect the job at UPS over your study. Your diploma will allow you to access a job better than UPS. UPS will only give ~20$/h for the rest of your life. We all earn more than that here. Some by a lot.

This.

Plus Sed is probably closer to $10/hour than $20/hour as a part-time UPS box thrower.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My company pays around 35 / hour for a software engineer directly out of school. Though we don't normally hire fresh graduates.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
This.

Plus Sed is probably closer to $10/hour than $20/hour as a part-time UPS box thrower.

You've got it right. $10.50/hr, plus they pay my tuition which is why I was there in the first place. I can't afford to get fired or that aid will go away and I'll likely get kicked out of my dorm.

That said, next semester should see things being a lot better for me. I'm planning a transfer down to Florida, where my aunt and uncle live. Hoping the change of scenery does me some good as well, but the main reason is because schools in Kentucky generally suck. UofL is looking at losing accreditation if the state governor doesn't start pulling his fat nose out of their business.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You've got it right. $10.50/hr, plus they pay my tuition which is why I was there in the first place. I can't afford to get fired or that aid will go away and I'll likely get kicked out of my dorm.

That said, next semester should see things being a lot better for me. I'm planning a transfer down to Florida, where my aunt and uncle live. Hoping the change of scenery does me some good as well, but the main reason is because schools in Kentucky generally suck. UofL is looking at losing accreditation if the state governor doesn't start pulling his fat nose out of their business.

Try to get a part-time job related to your studies, but don't put in too many hours that will affect your study time.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
What school in Florida are you looking at?

Things are still pretty tentative at the moment but I'm looking at finishing my gen ed requirements at a community college of some sort down there and finishing out my degree requirements probably at University of Central Florida.

Since I had almost filled the 2TB when it died, I decided I'd go a step up in size to 4TB. I bought a drive that seemed to fill my requirements but lo and behold according to some (pretty buried) reviews, the drive is much thicker than a normal 2.5" drive. I'm hoping I can still finagle it into the bay, but if I can't I suppose I'll just have to return it or stick it into a external bay.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'll just say that the job market for software engineering jobs is not great in Florida. It's generally easier to find internships and jobs that are in close proximity to your university.

I would say that taking out loans to go to a better school is not a bad idea in that industry. With a degree from a good school you could find a job starting at 65-70k.

Stereodude

Not really a
So USPS apparently delivered 3 packages coming to me to some address in nearby city. The tracking information on all three says "April 3, 2017, 1:28 pm Delivered, In/At Mailbox" with a City, State, and zip code that I don't live in, but it's a few miles away. They were not in my mailbox. :cursin:

I guess I will be stopping at the post office to complain this morning.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Drive doesn't fit. Well, it'll technically go into the port, but I can't close the bottom cover over the machine with the drive in. I'm sending it back for a refund. Here's a lesson learned for next time, caveat emptor indeed. The drive works as advertised when attached to my USB converter, I just can't fit it in my machine. Getting a return label sent out to me today.

Seems all the 4TB drives I can find in the 2.5" form factor are 15mm thick. I may have to settle for another 2TB, and maybe it's time to finally build that NAS I was talking about.

Stereodude

Not really a
So USPS apparently delivered 3 packages coming to me to some address in nearby city. The tracking information on all three says "April 3, 2017, 1:28 pm Delivered, In/At Mailbox" with a City, State, and zip code that I don't live in, but it's a few miles away. They were not in my mailbox. :cursin:

I guess I will be stopping at the post office to complain this morning.
So apparently the scanners the USPS people use can have different location settings. So, if the mailperson takes one that's set for another city the scan will show the wrong city / zip code in the tracking info, but the scanner also GPS tags the delivery in their internal system. The manager at the Post Office was able to show me that the GPS coordinates of the delivery for the 3 packages corresponded to the mailbox cluster and all three were the same.

Based on the info he gave me I decided to go back home and check the parcel lockers at the mailboxes. When a package is put in a locker, the locker is locked, and the key put in the mailbox of the recipient. Well, I found 4 packages of mine in the parcel locker with the key still in it (effectively unlocked and free for anyone to take). So, either the mailperson forgot to take the key out and put it in my mailbox yesterday, or they put the key in the mailbox of the wrong person. The wrong person would have unlocked the parcel locker, found the packages weren't theirs and just left them with the key in the door since the key can't be removed once it's inserted by us regular folks.

So, I got my packages, but what a hassle...

Handruin

Administrator
I don't have much randomness to describe. I recently fixed my treadmill yet again. This time I broke the running board on the bottom. This treadmill is like the 6 million dollar man...I'm keeping it running by replacing parts all the time.

I was able to snag a Nintendo Switch recently. Zelda: Breath Of The Wild is really well done.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The old ones were probably better. I have the stationary bike over 10 years and considered a new one. Obviously they have fancier computers, but the cost of a good durable one like what I have is not worthwhile.

Handruin

Administrator
This one is probably close to 9-10 years old. In fairness it has had a lot of use so the parts breaking probably aren't uncommon. It wasn't the most expensive treadmill either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've closed a contract worth ~270,000U$ in total today. I've been working on it for the past month. I'm proud, but exhausted.

Last edited: