Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Frankly, the sites worked better 5 years ago before they larded up everything with hooks into social media platforms and the like. We're going backward.

I'd say about 2010 or so was the peak and subsequently the internet has been going downhill. I blame the stupid smartphones and the tiny screens. Now every site is full of giant images (often unrelated to the actual product) and very little text and everything must be scrolled for miles. Yet there is still is very little useful info.

Last week I was ordering online and the damn script keep giving an error for the billing address which I know to be correct. Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd say about 2010 or so was the peak and subsequently the internet has been going downhill. I blame the stupid smartphones and the tiny screens. Now every site is full of giant images (often unrelated to the actual product) and very little text and everything must be scrolled for miles. Yet there is still is very little useful info.

Last week I was ordering online and the damn script keep giving an error for the billing address which I know to be correct. Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.

You can also thank certain mobile devices for expediting the removal of Adobe Flash. Otherwise I agree with others that a large portion of sites today are JavaScript cancer.

LunarMist

I have mixed feelings about that since Flash was easy to disable. Maybe you all can browser block the htlm animations.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Saw this posted via slashdot: https://pxlnv.com/blog/bullshit-web/

Pretty much fits in / agrees with what has been said about the bloat of "modern web".

./ discussion: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/...es-garbage-design-choices-on-the-bullshit-web

One also has to wonder if any of the dev's for the various sites have actually read WCAG 2.0 (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0), which gives guidelines on how to make contain available to widest audience, including those that are blind. (eg ajax/javascript are extremely problematic for many screen readers).

Hint: If your site won't render without javascript on, a lot of screen readers don't work.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks for the links Chewy, I'll check them out.

Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.

I hate to have to call companies and give an actual person my CC info as it's tempting for the person making $8.50/hour to take your CC info and buy shit for themselves.

Of course I just did what I said I don't like to do. I called Levi and gave a human my CC/exp/CVV numbers over the phone. I asked about my order and its status. She said it was still in their queue 'pending' but not processed. She knew exactly what I ordered, the WxL, and color. I told her I wanted the promotional offer which included free shipping and she fixed me right up.

She said I should now have a confirmation email in my inbox. It never showed up while on the phone with her. She said the order went through and that she would "manually" send me an email. I got that at least.

I mentioned I never got the PW-reset email so she put in a ticket for that. 2-3 DAYS before anything happens on that front.

facepalm.jpg

You can also thank certain mobile devices for expediting the removal of Adobe Flash. Otherwise I agree with others that a large portion of sites today are JavaScript cancer.

Agreed as far as flash goes. The brokerage firm I use to sell my vested stocks used to be all flash. That was a nightmare. Had to print out forms and FAX them in as the site would not accept them. PITA.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
The latest stable (in fact, the one they *recommend*) is 18.5.1. Latest "optional" is 18.7.1 at the time of writing. I am stuck on 17.3.3.

I have found more on this issue -- it only occurs when I have more than one display connected. Seems to be related to an additional dummy display rapidly connecting/disconnecting? Unsure about that. In any case, 18.3.4 does not suffer from this issue and is therefore what I am now running.

LunarMist

I have found more on this issue -- it only occurs when I have more than one display connected. Seems to be related to an additional dummy display rapidly connecting/disconnecting? Unsure about that. In any case, 18.3.4 does not suffer from this issue and is therefore what I am now running.

Then don't connect two monitors. :lol:

LunarMist

Now they are spamming me with the oxygen concentrator, cataract cures, and reversible mortgage. :mad:

Handruin

Administrator
I doubt it. Is that what you're having issues with? You may need a better spam filter setup.

Stereodude

Not really a
I bought a CD on eBay for less than $5 (including shipping). The seller included a full blown thank you note in a card & envelope and everything. It was a little over the top with the thanks and flowery prose to the point of being a little awkward. I might have to post a picture of it later.

Handruin

Administrator
I used to think that way about multiple monitors. Now I have one big monitor and don't care about multiple monitors any more.

LunarMist

I used to think that way about multiple monitors. Now I have one big monitor and don't care about multiple monitors any more.

I agree. I know people in the office often use two monitors, but they are HD only. I see the value for reviewers of different materials often from different systems. I still use a printer though.
Given there are cheap enough 4K displays, I would think that the human eyeball vision is fairly exceeded already at the pixel level.
I'd probably get a 32" 4K if I did not need to see the pixels for various older programs.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I can easily see the pixels on a 32" 4K monitor. The pixel pitch is 0.185 mm (137 ppi). I'd need to get a 24" or smaller 4K monitor to not notice pixelation but I'm not interested in 4K monitors until they start making them in 4:3, not 16:9. 2880x2160, maybe in a 20" or 21" size, would be perfect for me. OLED would be even better. I'm not holding my breath, so I recently picked up some LP2065s on eBay. Two for $30 each, and two without bases for $20 each. 1600x1200 is the highest readily available resolution in 4:3 monitors. They made 2048x1536, but mainly for medical use. Those still cost a fortune even second hand. These are IPS monitors. Great color, great response time. 3 of the 4 had very low hours on the backlights ( 5219, 1972, and 440). Considering the backlight is rated for 50K hours, these are essentially brand new. I figure it's going to be a while, if ever, before my ideal monitors exist, so might as well get decent 4:3's now since I can get them on the cheap. I know monitors will eventually go OLED but it's an open question if 4:3 will ever come back into style. The fact they're being used in tablets at least gives me hope. I can actually pick up an Apple 9.7" 2048x1536 tablet display on eBay for under $100 but that's a little too small for my needs.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Multiple monitors are all about ergonomics. Right now I'm using two displays, one in front and the other angled on my right. Both displays are 1600x1200, or will be as soon as I put an LP2065 in place of my Viewsonic VA912b. In theory I would have the same number and size pixels with a (very wide aspect) 3200x1200 34" monitor. The problems with that are twofold. One, such a monitor would be 32" wide plus the bezel. I just don't have that much horizontal space. Two, I would be seeing the sides of the monitor at an angle. With my present setup I turn my head and see the second monitor head-on.

This concept can be carried even further if I had the space and means to mount more monitors. I could put another monitor angled on my left. I could put three more monitors right above these and angle them so I see them head on when I turn my head up. Of course, I don't need that much workspace but if I did such a setup would be preferably to, say, the equivalent 4800x2400 ~54" single monitor, most of which would be viewed at odd angles given my normal viewing distance.

LunarMist

Multiple monitors are all about ergonomics. Right now I'm using two displays, one in front and the other angled on my right. Both displays are 1600x1200, or will be as soon as I put an LP2065 in place of my Viewsonic VA912b. In theory I would have the same number and size pixels with a (very wide aspect) 3200x1200 34" monitor. The problems with that are twofold. One, such a monitor would be 32" wide plus the bezel. I just don't have that much horizontal space. Two, I would be seeing the sides of the monitor at an angle. With my present setup I turn my head and see the second monitor head-on.

This concept can be carried even further if I had the space and means to mount more monitors. I could put another monitor angled on my left. I could put three more monitors right above these and angle them so I see them head on when I turn my head up. Of course, I don't need that much workspace but if I did such a setup would be preferably to, say, the equivalent 4800x2400 ~54" single monitor, most of which would be viewed at odd angles given my normal viewing distance.

Yeah, that is typical studio or control center setup. Are you monitoring something and need to see all of them at the same time?

LunarMist

I can easily see the pixels on a 32" 4K monitor. The pixel pitch is 0.185 mm (137 ppi). I'd need to get a 24" or smaller 4K monitor to not notice pixelation but I'm not interested in 4K monitors until they start making them in 4:3, not 16:9. 2880x2160, maybe in a 20" or 21" size, would be perfect for me. OLED would be even better. I'm not holding my breath, so I recently picked up some LP2065s on eBay. Two for $30 each, and two without bases for $20 each. 1600x1200 is the highest readily available resolution in 4:3 monitors. They made 2048x1536, but mainly for medical use. Those still cost a fortune even second hand. These are IPS monitors. Great color, great response time. 3 of the 4 had very low hours on the backlights ( 5219, 1972, and 440). Considering the backlight is rated for 50K hours, these are essentially brand new. I figure it's going to be a while, if ever, before my ideal monitors exist, so might as well get decent 4:3's now since I can get them on the cheap. I know monitors will eventually go OLED but it's an open question if 4:3 will ever come back into style. The fact they're being used in tablets at least gives me hope. I can actually pick up an Apple 9.7" 2048x1536 tablet display on eBay for under $100 but that's a little too small for my needs.

The distance would have to be so close that I could not see all of the pixels from center to corner without moving my head. I think it would be fine for office use and would consider one if it did not cause policy issues.
Maybe Sedorkian could do it with his young eyes and not needing multifocal glasses for center vs. corners at close distance. ;)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, that is typical studio or control center setup. Are you monitoring something and need to see all of them at the same time?
No, I would never need a setup like that. I'm just saying if I did, that's the way I would go. My pair of monitors works just fine. Most of the time I'm using the one in front. Sometimes I need to go between two documents open at the same time. That's where two monitors shines.

The distance would have to be so close that I could not see all of the pixels from center to corner without moving my head. I think it would be fine for office use and would consider one if it did not cause policy issues.

I'm nearsighted, so I couldn't have a large monitor so far away that I could see all of it without moving my head. I can't wear glasses for computer work. Very annoying to me. Besides that, my setup doesn't have space to put a monitor any further away from my eyes than about 15". At that distance the 20" 4:3 LP2065 just about fills my field of vision. If I went 16:9 I couldn't go larger than maybe 23" without exceeding my horizontal field of vision. Unfortunately, a 16:9 monitor that small would mean I lose vertical space compared to a 20" 4:3 monitor.

Stereodude

Not really a
I bought a CD on eBay for less than $5 (including shipping). The seller included a full blown thank you note in a card & envelope and everything. It was a little over the top with the thanks and flowery prose to the point of being a little awkward. I might have to post a picture of it later.
As promised...

The front and inside. It was personalized, but I removed my name from it. Seems a tad excessive for a sub $5 CD to me.

attachment.php

ebay_thank_you.jpg

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
In my case my monitors are arranged thusly -- on the left, in landscape orientation, is the cheapo 1080p panel (AOC E2228SWDN) I bought after arriving in university late 2016. It has cosmetic blemishes that would annoy me for main usage, but I don't really care about in its current use case, which is to read my email with and get visual feedback from my music player. Gotta have that visualization for full effect. :razz: In the center, a more recent acquisition that I was initially proud of but now am more than slightly annoyed with, is a 2005-vintage HP L2335. This 1920x1200 beast was apparently the better part of two grand new. It has an interesting array of inputs and even picture-in-picture options -- in addition to your standard (for the time) VGA and DVI inputs you also have on the side a composite, s-video, and component input. My grand plan was to use those for retro systems but the ghosting problems with this panel as well as color reproduction woes (whites are more of a sickly purplish-pink) have me looking for a deal on a 1080p 144hz freesync monitor. On the right, I have a portrait-oriented Dell P2210. At the top lies my IRC client and at the bottom my Discord client. I also use that one for reading manuals and other portrait-oriented documents, as at 1680x1050 (or, I suppose, 1050x1680) it's perfect for fitting the page in full-size as well as the UI of the program it's loaded in.

I suppose if I were ever to obtain a large enough 4k monitor that I'd be fine with using that as a single display, provided I'm using a window manager capable of tiling more than in just side by side or four corners arrangements. I loved my time with i3wm on a 1366x768 laptop panel -- I imagine it could be amazing on a large enough display that using it makes sense.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm screwed!

"Various emergency and time sensitive we are calling you from investigation team of I.R.S. We have just received a notification regarding your tax filings from the headquarters which will get expired in next 24 working hours and once it get expired after that you will be taken under custody by the local cops as there are 4 serious allegations pressed on your name at this moment we would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case before taking any legal action against you the number to reach us is 215-383-2350 I repeat 215-383-2350 thank you."

The above was left on my answering machine. Machine voice, horrible voice quality (audio dropouts, static, etc), bad grammar. Sounds like it might be a scam. /s

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Call block is your friend. I have Verizon blocking all numbers with no caller ID in addition to the ones I add to the block list. I'm also using Nomorobo. A few assholes still get through each day but I never answer any number I'm not familiar with. And anyone calling from the same number more than a few times has the honor of getting added to my block list. In the long run I might get one of these.

I wonder why Verizon, and seemingly every other phone provider, won't let you use wildcards in the blocked number list. Right now the latest trick these people use is calling from your local exchange so you get fooled into thinking it's someone you might know. I could block all that out with one entry in the block list if only I could use wildcards.

I hope all telemarketers earn a special place in hell. I hate these SOBs with a passion.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My excellent luck strikes again!

My $1065 video card (EVGA branded signature/SC, original 1st-gen Titan) purchased 5y3m ago just shit the bed. Three months after the extended warranty ended.

I forgot to update you all on what happened with my defective EVGA Titan. The thread in the NEWS section reminded me of it.

I posted a message in the EVGA forums asking if I could send my card in for a possible repair and the what the cost might be, as my card was just past the extended warranty. I received an email from an EVGA CS rep asking me what troubleshooting I did and he wrote, "we can surely assist with a one-time courtesy replacement if necessary." I sent him a long email describing what troubleshooting I did and EVGA CS replied with, "It sounds like there’s definitely an issue with the card so let’s get it replaced." I was told to fill out the RMA form on the EVGA site, (ticket number would automatically fill-in) and I'd be all set.

Sent* my card back to EVGA for RMA and they replaced my card. I'm back up and running.

I still can't believe I only purchased the 5-year extended warranty (2 additional years of coverage) for $30 and not the 10-year, (7 additional years) warranty for only $60 on a $1065 video card. If I ever need another video card I'm DEFINITELY buying an EVGA card and getting the 10-year warranty on it. I've had two high end video cards fail on me, the Titan and an older HIS-Digital (ATI) X1950Pro card.

EVGA REALLY DID ME A SOLID ON THIS AND I'M A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE.

* This was the only truly BS part of my story. Went to a local UPS store to mail my video card RMA package. $1100 worth of insurance (well not really even insurance, but DECLARED VALUE) and delivery confirmation, from AZ to CA was $58. Really $58! Not same day/next day, but slowest shipping possible and still $58. I should have just driven the extra 3 miles to the USPS office and paid $20. F-me.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
In other news, Australia has a new Prime Minister, Scott Morrison.... Many who consider he failed in his appointments of head of social security (Centrelink) and failed as Treasurer under the previous PM.