Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Yeah, my dad's a difficult man to shop for. I don't do much gift-giving either purely because I'm not great at figuring out what someone would want. And what's more is his birthday isn't long after father's day.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nvidia just displaced Apple as the 2nd most valuable company (based on Mkt Cap).
  • Microsoft - 3.151T
  • Nvidia - 3.012T
  • Apple - 3.003T
Nvidia shares have jumped $837.86 per share in the last 12 mths, with $312.02 per share in the last month alone. (currently trading at $1,224.40 per share).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's barely a holiday and I suspect LM and jtr at least remember when it wasn't even a thing.
It was never a holiday, but always a "thing." Mostly people would give some combination of cards, small gifts, or take the father to brunch or dinner, etc.

LunarMist

Nvidia just displaced Apple as the 2nd most valuable company (based on Mkt Cap).
  • Microsoft - 3.151T
  • Nvidia - 3.012T
  • Apple - 3.003T
Nvidia shares have jumped $837.86 per share in the last 12 mths, with $312.02 per share in the last month alone. (currently trading at $1,224.40 per share).
Is the AI hoopla really sustainable?

Handruin

Administrator
Microsoft, Apple, Google, and OpenAI among others are all drinking the neon green Kool aid from Nvidia so it probably is for the next few years

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Ironically their CDs are starting to become collector's items:

I actually find this disturbing on a number of levels. People used to throw these things in the microwave for fun. If they're starting to get rare enough to be worth anything, then that means literally many billions of them ended up in landfills. CDs don't degrade on any kind of human time scale. Then I'm thinking of some future archaeologist unearthing them about 2,000 years from now, while muttering about how they found an artifact which signaled the start of the dumbing down of the human race.

LunarMist

Some of my old CDs are totally useless now. It probably matters what materials they were using, but I doubt any but M-Disc would be usable in 2000 years. I read that the CRT television was the beginning of the end of humanity in the 1950s.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I wouldn't expect it to be readable in 2,000 years. It would simply be an artifact of the times, like a spear tip is.

In other news from 4,000 AD, Elon Musk is sending probes into intergalactic space. Yes, the research he funded in the 21st century to extend life was successful, and he's still around. Space X, Tesla, and all his other companies eventually merged into "The Company", like the one in the Alien movies, which makes virtually everything. In an accident in one of his biolabs while experimenting with Trump's genes, a malevolent xenomorph was created which now threatens mankind.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Most people will have been replaced with AI robots by then. The remaining humans will have an nVida chip in their head. :LOL:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Monitor speakers have a weird sound. It's like someone is tapping on a morse code key when I try and use the speakers on the monitor.
Only reason I want to use them, is with old hearing, I need to direct the sound at me, close.
I have my Klipsch, but they are on the floor. Can't put them up on the table. block the monitor.
Thinking of a low sound bar type setup.
Any ideas?
Doesn't have to be great sound. The Klipsch, and the headphones do that..
Value is good...
I'm using HDMI. Wonder if DisplayPort would solve it?

LunarMist

Maybe it is like this?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Maybe it is like this?
Not really. It's like someone is either connected by Bluetooth, or they are connected and sending morse code..Beep, Beep, etc. No words

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I wouldn't expect it to be readable in 2,000 years. It would simply be an artifact of the times, like a spear tip is.

In other news from 4,000 AD, Elon Musk is sending probes into intergalactic space. Yes, the research he funded in the 21st century to extend life was successful, and he's still around. Space X, Tesla, and all his other companies eventually merged into "The Company", like the one in the Alien movies, which makes virtually everything. In an accident in one of his biolabs while experimenting with Trump's genes, a malevolent xenomorph was created which now threatens mankind.

Fun true fact: The Weyland-Yutani corporation, which owned the Narcissus and the Sulaco, the space ships in the first two Aliens movies, is name checked in Blade Runner as well and there's nothing in either series to make them incompatible with one another. This can further be extended to Predator movies and Ridley Scott's Alien prequels as well.

I find your theory regarding Xenomorphs better written and more plausible than Prometheus as well.

LunarMist

It was never clear to me why humans were a proper host and also prey for the aliens (presumably a parasitoid). Was there some logical explanation? I'd want to see the DNA.

Mercutio

Was there some logical explanation?

Their life cycle incorporates the DNA of the parasite that incubates from a facehugger. In Alien3 and the Aliens v Predator films and games, Xenomorphs that come from non-human hosts (a dog and the Youtja aliens, respectively) have clear signifiers of their parasitic parent's species. Prometheus suggests this was done to exterminate the precursor "Space Engineer" species, which are connected to "Alien" as the calcified creature in the crashed space ship at the beginning of the movie. This also explains the acidic blood and ability to survive in unbelievably intense conditions.

LunarMist

That still creates many biological issues. How does the Alien remain a viable species if it keeps adding random DNA? How is the alien species (supposedly an invertebrate, arthropod) so similar to mammal DNA that it is even possible when it's difficult to interbreed very similar species on earth. I'm just not buying it.

Mercutio

That still creates many biological issues. How does the Alien remain a viable species if it keeps adding random DNA? How is the alien species (supposedly an invertebrate, arthropod) so similar to mammal DNA that it is even possible when it's difficult to interbreed very similar species on earth. I'm just not buying it.

Cue Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song.
In this case, a super-intelligent robot made it, which is just a variation on the classic "A wizard did it" that a lot of speculative fiction uses.

I've seen most of those movies several times. I don't remember them being described as either invertebrate or arthropodal. Mostly, though, they were just made to be terrifying killing machines. And they do a great job of that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nvidia just displaced Microsoft as the 1st most valuable company (based on Mkt Cap).
  • Nvidia - 3.335T
  • Microsoft - 3.317T
  • Apple - 3.286T
Nvidia (based on Mkt Cap) is now the worlds most valuable company...

As they say, when there's a gold rush, be the one selling the shovels, not the one digging for gold.

Handruin

Administrator
That's great you got in on nvidia, hopefully before their large increases. I don't risk gambling on single stocks anymore (with a small exception of my company's compensation stock that vests monthly). I'm more of a boring investor so I focus on low-cost index funds like Vanguard's VTI as my "risky" investment.

I agree I don't see the value in Apple either. It reminds me a bit of the hype from Tesla stock from years prior. Granted, between those two, I'd pick Apple over Tesla any day but I still don't believe they're worth their Mkt cap.

Nvidia is definitely skewing the charts on a 12-month view. I hope all that invested there is making bank, that's an incredible gain.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 8.32.58 AM.png

Mercutio

A customer's wife asked me to look at their home computers. I told them that as long as she brough them to me and understood I'd charge for my time, no big deal. The computers were described as "brand new."

The newest actual PC is a Surface 3, but there are also two Chromebooks old enough to be out of software updates. She wanted "the newest version of Windows" and Microsoft Office installed.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So Office does not run well on the ChromeBooks?

You can't run desktop MS Office on a ChromeBook, like, at all. You might be able to run the android versions, you will definitely be able to run the web versions, but the desktop version of MS Office is a Windows/Mac only proposition.

Merc, I'm painfully used to people thinking their 5 year old craptop that they got on sale from walmart is the height of technology. I've gone from being exasperated and sorry to tell them that they're looking down the barrel of a new one to just telling them point-blank. Sometimes they got it from some computer shop in the area only a year or so before, and I have to be the one to tell them they bought a refurb and likely didn't know it.

LunarMist

OMG, Surfaced 3 is only on an Atomic CPU? Warko says it is x7-Z8700,
about half of the
Passmark of the 2008 Core 2 QUAD 9650. :rolleyes:
If it is brand new, it must have been in the attic 9 years. :LOL:

Mercutio

Everything they brought me was either an expired Chromebook or had Windows 8 (no, not 8.1) on it. When I was finally given a password to get on one of them, it had Internet Explorer tabs still open from 2016.

LunarMist

You can't run desktop MS Office on a ChromeBook, like, at all. You might be able to run the android versions, you will definitely be able to run the web versions, but the desktop version of MS Office is a Windows/Mac only proposition.

Merc, I'm painfully used to people thinking their 5 year old craptop that they got on sale from walmart is the height of technology. I've gone from being exasperated and sorry to tell them that they're looking down the barrel of a new one to just telling them point-blank. Sometimes they got it from some computer shop in the area only a year or so before, and I have to be the one to tell them they bought a refurb and likely didn't know it.
Nobody looks at the System to see what hardware they are getting?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
It's like the first thing I do when a new device is thrust upon me for work.

You are also technologically inclined. Most mere mortals see a laptop that isn't a veritable brick and think "ok does it run chrome? good that means it's brand new and will be good for fifteen years since that's what I got out of my old dell that I had to keep conning my nephew into fixing for me."

LunarMist

I received a new "company" laptop in 2023 but it was about a year old and had an 11th generator CPU. It's like I have a 2021 laptop really. :(
I always seem to get old stuff, but it's really just luck. The last two were recycled laptops. The problem is that there is so much software running it takes forever to get going in the morning. So instead of 4.5 min. it takes 2.5 min. to get into a TEAMS meeting.