Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Wall-E made me fucking cry.

That is the movie I want to see right now. Unfortunately, the other 20-something geeks wanted to watch Iron Man. I'm not saying it is a bad movie, just that when the tech departs that far from reality I have a hard time suspending disbelief.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That is the movie I want to see right now. Unfortunately, the other 20-something geeks wanted to watch Iron Man. I'm not saying it is a bad movie, just that when the tech departs that far from reality I have a hard time suspending disbelief.

Iron Man was also a huge amount of fun. Very close to the comic (something I'd expect from Marvel's own movie studio) and with overall inspired casting. All the scenes with Tony were utterly charming, and the tiny bit of Samuel L. Jackson at the end had me jazzed for about a week.

Wanted could've been so much more than it was. The comic book is based on the idea of a world where the super-villains won over the heroes (to wit: the Superman analogue is a left brain damaged minion of the Lex Luthor equivalent; he goes by "Fuckwit", and another villain is composed of the feces of the 1000 most evil men in history). The comic is brutal. The movie drops all mention of actual super-powers in favor of some bullshit about adrenalin. There's some amazing action sequences in the movie, and the brief appearance of (yawn) Angelina Jolie's ass, but you pretty much have to not listen to a word any of the actors say, because you will hurt your brain if you do so.

Wall-E works on a really basic emotional level. It's more of a romance than anything else, but it exposes the audience to several raw emotions. It's very innocent, but it doesn't come off as manufactured or saccharine the way some of the other Pixar movies have. Wall-E is completely un-ironic. He watches "Hello Dolly" and dances to the musical numbers. When he wants to hold hands, it's the truest expression of movie romance I can ever remember seeing.

Also, Wall-E casually pirates music and video (on an iPod, natch) for his own amusement. I just thought I'd mention it, given the relationship between Pixar, Apple and Disney.

Also also, I was the only one who laughed when Wall-E finished recharging.

ddrueding

Fixture
For some strange reason, going from 2x1GB of RAM to 2x2GB of RAM causes my Server 2003 install to BSOD. MemTest86+ from the (dual boot) Ubuntu 8.04 install comes up clean, as does Ubuntu itself. No issues, no errors. I'm about to blow away both and go back to XP 32-bit as a single boot. See you in a few hours...

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks like I managed to screw my motherboard (literally). It is surface-mounted to plywood with wood screws, and I think I put one in crooked. Now the board will only get to POST code 25 and halts, no matter what other components are involved. Bah.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I thought this article about the destruction of earth was pretty amusing.
I agree that the particles accelerator should not be allowed to power up. Not on Earth, at least. The possibility that a black hole will be created is very, very slim, but no one can rule it out (the "end of the Universe" thing is complete crap). I'm all for scientific progress and research, but not when the outcome could be the end of our existence. Likewise, I think the people who detonated the first atomic bomb should have been jailed for the rest of their lives (they didn't know for sure that the nuclear reaction would stop or if it would melt the entire atmosphere). We cannot let a group of Nobel-prize-hunters risk the faith of the entire humanity simply because the risk of a catastrophic f*ck-up is considered slim.

Build that particles accelerator on a rock in the Cuiper belt, but not on the only home we have. I don't think a black hole will happen because of the accelerator, but why take the risk? It's not like we need to know the stuff we'll learn from the accelerator right now. I'm sure we can live without that knowledge for a century or two, when we'll be able to reach the edge of our solar system and build the accelerator there.

I imagine E.T. looking at us and wondering "WTF are they thinking?" Imagine the black hole really happens. The guy who would push the "start" button that day would be the ultimate Darwin award winner.

Stereodude

Not really a
Please... How do they know they're going to create a black hole? This is absurd. Scientist have done lots of experiments where they didn't know the outcome and we're still here.

ddrueding

Fixture
No chance. They have shown that more energetic reactions happen in the atmosphere all the time. And Hawking Radiation has been shown to exist, so it wouldn't last long anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
New mobo is in, I forgot how much that board cost ($300)! And the bad news is that it didn't last long enough for there to be anything better, so the replacement isn't an upgrade (only getting PCI-E 2.0)

ddrueding

Fixture
Oh, and I saw a line out of the local ATT shop, presumably for the iPhone launch today. Stupid sheep; there is no indication that there will be shortages.

ddrueding

Fixture
For the record, XFX's tech support is awesome. Sure, you have to register an item to get to it, but the ticket management system, techs, and RMA process are damn easy.

ddrueding

Fixture
Last night's sailboat race was interesting. Started off by accidentally skying a halyard, only to discover after sending someone to the top of the mast that we had broken it in the process. Then I had a tire on the trailer blow when pulling the boat out, with no spare no jack and no wrench. Fortunately, some other guys at the club helped me out by giving me a set of essentially new tires and getting a large enough crew of guys together to physically hold up the side of the trailer so we could change the tire. You hear a lot of crap about muffy and fluffy at the yacht club, but these were millionaires blowing their backs so I could change a tire. Those guys are awesome.

Oh, and we won the race ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
That is a long way to drive with a boat. Spinnaker Cup (SF to Monterey) will be this year, and next year I'm planning on single-handing the TransPac. My boat managed 5th some years ago.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Will all the people that paid exhorbitant prices for the first iPhono last year buy a new one this year? Will there be another new model next year?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I agree that the particles accelerator should not be allowed to power up. Not on Earth, at least. The possibility that a black hole will be created is very, very slim, but no one can rule it out (the "end of the Universe" thing is complete crap). I'm all for scientific progress and research, but not when the outcome could be the end of our existence.

I think this will be cool. No sense of adventure, then?

ddrueding

Fixture
Will all the people that paid exorbitant prices for the first iPhone last year buy a new one this year? Will there be another new model next year?

Yes and yes. I think we will see the releases moving closer and closer to see how often Steve can take money for his brainwashed masses. It's not that their user base has grown, just the frequency that they have to replace their crap.

ddrueding

Fixture
My data recovery saga continues...

2678548144_609eab08f2_o.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
Recovery from what?

A Windows Dynamic Disk that wouldn't re-mount. Not only was it dynamic, but it was also GPT and had a JBOD of two different partitions. I made a mess of it and Power Data Recovery Pro fixed it for me. And it only took 2 days to copy the data one way! Looks like it will go back to it's original (now rebuilt) array overnight, and I'll be able to expand the array to include the new drives tomorrow!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nope. That would make it actually useful. That is against Steve's religion.

LMAO, you guys, the behind the times old fart PCee/M$ Winblows Apple H8trs are hilarious!

Will all the people that paid exhorbitant prices for the first iPhono last year buy a new one this year? Will there be another new model next year?

LMFAO, LM, do people buy new models of Nokia, Blackberry, etc every year just to replace their older models...don't hurt yer brain too much trying to figure that one out, lol the answer is simple.

Yes and yes. I think we will see the releases moving closer and closer to see how often Steve can take money for his brainwashed masses. It's not that their user base has grown, just the frequency that they have to replace their crap.

:roflmao:

Umm dd, you do know the new 3G iPhone is being sold in new markets, like 21 countries around the world where the orig, iPhone had far less support? Can you say massively increased user base, that actually uses their iPhone for more purposes that others because Apple users actually get work done... I knew you could :D

Eat yer <3 out :p, from PCWorld no less:

Apple IPhone Shames Smartphones

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148256/apple_iphone_shames_smartphones.html

(I suppose I should C&P the whole article, since I know 9 out of 10 SF readers will not read the whole story unless I spoon feed it to them ;) ).

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/460175
'Stunning' weekend comes as analysts cut forecast for cellphone sales growth by 5% amid weakness in global economy....Jeffrey Fan at UBS Investment Research said a non-scientific survey of iPhone customers who lined up to buy the device in the U.S. and U.K. showed only a small percentage were BlackBerry owners.
"As it relates to RIM, the survey results are consistent with our view that the BlackBerry user base today largely differs from the iPhone user base," Fan wrote to clients.
In the U.S., only about 5 per cent of the people interviewed were BlackBerry users and only about 2 per cent planned on ditching their BlackBerrys once they had an iPhone, Fan said.
Far more were users of handsets made by Motorola Inc. and Samsung – 15 per cent each – while nearly 40 per cent were already iPhone owners, according to the survey of 106 iPhone customers.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._causing_major_delays_for_att_businesses.html
"I have an enterprise account and could not get an iPhone for any price," one such buyer tells AppleInsider. "I thought Apple had finally figured out the whole business thing but alas it seems not."
lol, I didn't know AI had intervied LM :D.

Oh man, this is great, can just see all the H8trs :rollseyes:

Apple passes Acer to become third largest U.S. PC vendor
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...er_to_become_third_largest_u_s_pc_vendor.html

edit: forgot to mention the App Store, had 10mil d/l too :) Google it :D