Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This is a fun little site for tracking your car's fuel mileage and gas costs...look me up on there if you join (user handruin).

That's kind of funny, actually. For as long as I've been driving, I've kept a mileage logbook for the sort of thing (plus paid mileage). I can't believe more peopel don't do that.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't keep track of mileage; it is not necessary. Google Maps directions or equivalent of reimbursable mileage is usually sufficient for GAAP.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
In the last 2 days I have driven 749 miles and filled up twice. Averaging 31.5MPG.

That's hard to believe, what are you driving now (haven't been keeping up ;) ), and what kind of driving...all highway/freeway, what average speeds?

Last year, my RT from LA to SF, after poking around SF bay area for the wine tasting event, and early morning visit for dim sum at nearby restaurant (with in a few miles of the motel), I did mostly 95% highway/freeway driving the whole trip, using a 2007 Honda Civic sedan rental w/about 8k miles on the odometer, and only just got about the same mpg when I was hoping for 35+mpg, only for a hour or so @80mph when the rest of the speeders were just above my mph. mostly 70-75mph would be my guess as to my average highway speed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I filled up on 7/16, 8/1, and 8/13 and currently have over 3/4 tank. While I've driven to downtown Chicago more than average these past 30 days, working from home 4 days a week has broken me of the tank-a-week syndrome.

I used a spreadsheet to track mileage on past vehicles but for the past decade or so I've just done a tank-by-tank average. The trending/changes in consumption are such that I can spot issues just fine. I get 2-3 fewer MPG on winter blend gas but otherwise always beat EPA estimates.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
When I drive to Chicago I go either really early (leaving home by 5:10AM) or late (leave after 8:30-9). I have about 7 miles of local roads that average a 40MPH limit before hitting the Stevenson. Our office is just north of Grant/Millennium Park so I take the Stevie until it ends then just follow it around to LSD and Columbus.

My normal commute I again leave by around 6AM to avoid traffic. I can do the 23 miles in 35-37 minutes on average. It is suburban driving, so it's not as stop-n-go as downtown Chicago. My route is based on what's the most consistent so I avoid some more heavily trafficked roads & the interstate, both of which are prone to random delays & slowdowns.

I drive with moderate acceleration and coast towards red lights as long as it won't piss off surrounding traffic (another reaosn to adjust the commute to non-standard times). I'm no hypermiler by any stretch but I also don't stomp the gas to take off from every stop (just once in a while :) ).

For leisure driving/errands we combine trips whenever possible and rarely go to just one place when we go out.

But again, I went from 4 days in the office & 1 day telecommuting to the reverse. With a 46 mile round trip, that cuts 138 miles per week from my driving.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm driving the same 2003 VW Golf (2L I4, non-turbo). It has larger diameter tires, minor weight reduction (no spare, no back seats, no interior at the back) and minor aero changes (smaller sideview mirrors, removed spoiler, a bit of underside body work). It currently has 178k miles, but this engine only has about 50k. The drive from my house to the highway I can typically do with a single stop and a fairly constant speed of 40mph, the highway is done between 75-90mph the whole way, and on that end of my commute I don't stop at all; just slow to ~60mph for a mile and park.

Wednesdays hurt the milage most; when I drive into Monterey (10 minutes of stop-and-go) and then tow my 2500lb boat about a mile. My 2100lb car doesn't like that.

LunarMist

I estimated 320 gallons of fuel used in 2007. A little less is expected in 2008. Average annual speed is about 26 MPH.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been driving like a grandma this fill up to see what I can get for mileage. My last tank sucked at 24.9, but i was pretty hard on the car. Roughly 90% of my miles are from around town use and so far the car says I'm averaging 28 MPG. I'm trying to get it to 29MPG before the tank is empty. On longer highway trips I've been able to get 30-31MPG.

Mercutio

My parents have an Odyssey minivan that they use for long trips and to haul their dogs around. They're planning a driving tour of the Pacific Northwest in a couple weeks. I couldn't believe they wanted to drive that distance given gas costs, but apparently the particular model they have does a thing where it shuts down three cylinders under certain driving conditions for increase fuel efficiency. My dad says he's gotten 36MPG out of a 4,500lb. minivan just cruising at 55 on the highway.

Why the hell doesn't every car do that?

ddrueding

Fixture
A number of cars have that capability. Clocker should be able to provide some info, as a number of GM vehicles can do it. My car can't, because it only has 4 cylinders to start with...

Handruin

Administrator
In the past I've read reviews that some of the V6's that have that ability to shut down cylinders had some lag related to it. Maybe it's a thing of the past now? Without the lag, I think it's a good thing and it would be nice if my V6 had the same ability.

I believe my TL has the same 3.5L V6 block as the Odyssey, but that's where the similarities probably end. I would guess on highways I would be able to achieve similar results if they could have shut down 3 of the 6 cylinders and I cruised at 55MPH. When I get out onto the highway it's usually a 70-80 MPH ride. I remember having a flat tire a few years ago and when I drove home on the highway on the spare tire, I was riding at 60-65MPH and honestly was more worried than when I would normally drive 70-80MPH. If I drove 55 on the highways out here (even in the slow lane), I'd get people mad enough their road rage would take over.

Mercutio

At least John is cheating on his wife with a member of the opposite sex, unlike some self-hating "family values advocates" I could mention.

And for what it's worth, John's wife is terminally ill and they've known that for quite a while. He may very well have been having his affair with her knowledge and permission. I've known normal human beings (not politicians) who have had to come to an arrangement in times like that.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks from me as well. I'll mention my wife's birthday (but not birth date) is the same as mine. Both of her sisters have August birthdays as well. Lots of Leos & August Virgos.

LunarMist

I dropped a 500G hard drive on my foot (very painful). Is there any way to know if it is broken? :(

Handruin

Administrator
Plug it in and run one of the low level tests on it to check all the sectors. How's your foot? Get some ice on it.