Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Unless if they seriously botched the whole engine design in the 4 banger, I can't see how removing that bend will generate anything more than 10-30 extra HP with the same level of boost. Fixing that bend and doing other mods could yield some nice results, but then you're talking about pushing a 4 cyl. engine from a company who isn't IMHO well-known for sustaining performance parts.
It's probably good for ~30HP. Considering the motor dyno'd at the wheels what Hyundai claimed at the crank an extra 30HP it's pretty serious. A 306HP at the crank V-6 will put down 240HP to the wheels with a manual transmission. Remove the crimp and the 4 banger will be right there with it.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sweet. Thanks.

One more accident, even if it's not your fault, and your insurance can, and most likely, will be dropped. Then you'll be among the millions of illegal aliens in Calif, uninsured drivers.

I'd like to again, point out how fast the new server is, I'm on friggin dialup and I can now turbo post with the best of you...almost :D ...w00t!

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Your insurance isn't going to drop you after one accident. I don't know what planet you're living on Uda. They'd rather raise your rates and milk you for some coin.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not only that, but there are plenty of insurers around. I would also like to mention that I haven't had an accident in the last ~550,000 miles I've driven (since I was 18 ).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Your insurance isn't going to drop you after one accident. I don't know what planet you're living on Uda. They'd rather raise your rates and milk you for some coin.

What planet indeed. :bigeek: Hmmm.

LunarMist

The 300GB WD drive I have is aligned differently from every other SATA drive I have seen. :(

I read that WD later changed the connector position in the VR drives to make them standard. Mine is from early production.

Handruin

Administrator
Glad you're alright. What the hell happened to cause the tree to fall? Sorry to hear that. Do you think it's fixable or will the car be totaled?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I never bothered to share this, but since Merc brought up his car, I feel the need now.

My car was parked on the street for a good long while. I don't drive it because I take the train to work, walk most places, or we drive my girlfriend's car.

A couple weeks ago the Chicago police came to my door and told me my car looked suspicious, after I questioned them about what that meant for 10 minutes they got radioed with what actually happened. They said it looked like some stuff was stolen. I told them thanks and left to go look at the car. Well, more than a few items were stolen.

Items stolen:
  • Front Bumper (including front license plate)
  • Headlights
  • Fog Lights
  • Front grill
  • Stereo head unit
  • Ignition (the part where you put the key to start the car)
  • Air Intake
  • Broken Window (not really stolen, but still smashed)
  • Part of the center console
  • Shift knob

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Last night it was raining sideways with thunder and lightning, and this sixty or seventy foot tall tree just fell across a half dozen cars in the parking lot. I couldn't see how bad it was until this morning.

I have pictures of my car. For now it looks like it's all body/glass damage, but I know pretty much nothing about cars.

I'm really glad I took that bunch of parts in last night, though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Were it several months ago when metal prices were high they would have taken the radiators too. That's what happened to me. Sucks regardless all around.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Last night it was raining sideways with thunder and lightning, and this sixty or seventy foot tall tree just fell across a half dozen cars in the parking lot. I couldn't see how bad it was until this morning.

I have pictures of my car. For now it looks like it's all body/glass damage, but I know pretty much nothing about cars.

It would be difficult for a tree to damage more than 3 body panels or pieces of glass without damaging a roof pillar. That is not good.

ddrueding

Fixture
Agreed. If it landed on top and managed to break the windows, there was likely structural damage. That typically totals a car by insurance standards.

Handruin

Administrator
That's not good for either of you guys. Sorry to hear about it. I was thinking the same thing about the structural damage if it landed on the roof.

Mercutio

... and of course I was out of AA batteries so the only pictures I have are from my phone...

IMAGE_120.jpg

IMAGE_124.jpg

IMAGE_125.jpg

And the rest of the crappy pictures I took with my phone this morning.

ddrueding

Fixture
Damn, that is really bad. Borderline totaled, I suspect. Have they already towed it? Did you get all your stuff out of it? If it was raining after the tree fell, how much water is in the car?

Mercutio

I've got 70% of the drivable distance left on the warranty, and I can't find another of that model of Element within 500 miles of my house for less than what I paid for that one. I really hope they don't total it.

Also there's the thing where I have no interest in going back to having a car payment.

Elements are made to drain water from the interior. The inside of the car was essentially dry. There was glass all over the steering wheel and the seats, but it was dry.

There wasn't much in it. $60 worth of cat food and some genuinely valuable Magic: the Gathering cards. Two days before I had 10 Dell Inspiron 15s in the back, though, and last night I brought a collection of PC hardware that had been sitting in my trunk for about two weeks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've got 70% of the drivable distance left on the warranty, and I can't find another of that model of Element within 500 miles of my house for less than what I paid for that one. I really hope they don't total it.

Also there's the thing where I have no interest in going back to having a car payment.

Depending on your insurance, it has less to do with what you paid and more to do with what it takes to make you "whole". The last time I totaled a car, they paid out more than I paid in.

...some genuinely valuable Magic: the Gathering cards.

I was just playing last week. I remember when we were kids, drooling over Power Nine cards. Now we all roll with 4-8 dual lands in each deck and pretty much whatever we want. I have no idea how much my binder full of rares is worth, but it would make my wife cry.

Mercutio

My MtG collection is 1st and 2nd edition cards - including about 30 Moxes and 3 Black Lotuses - up to "the Dark." At one point shortly after the introduction of the 1st edition game I was the only person at my comic shop buying the cards, because I liked the art. I didn't even learn how to play the actual game until just before I left for college; as with all things, the game just didn't catch on in Indiana until then.

Anyway, I'm sure they all got drenched. I only hope the valuable ones are still in their sleeves. The whole reason they were in my car was that I was thinking I might sell them.

ddrueding

Fixture
At one point my car was broken into and quite a bit was stolen. I was informed that the contents were only covered up to the value of the car :(

LunarMist

Oh man, that looks f*cked. Your vehicle seemed to take the brunt of the force.

Handruin

Administrator
That stinks man. Sorry to see your car got wrecked by a tree. It could be $3-$5K in body repair, but it doesn't look like frame damage. If the windows can be repaired without requiring serious fix to the body and you could live with the body damage...just bank the cash from insurance and wait for another element to come around in your area.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Depending on your insurance, it has less to do with what you paid and more to do with what it takes to make you "whole". The last time I totaled a car, they paid out more than I paid in.
Merc, You may have to make a case that the value of your vehicle is actually more than they think it is by showing them the research you have already done. As David indicated they only put up a small fight.

Mercutio

$6800 in damage from the initial estimate vs. a vehicle that's worth $12500. Apparently I am safe, and whatever the hell Honda Elements are made out of is stronger than it looks.

LunarMist

I hope you don't lose too much value and that the vehicle is properly repaired. Does the insurance cover a rental? Such damage will take a while to fix. :(

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I hope you don't lose too much value and that the vehicle is properly repaired. Does the insurance cover a rental? Such damage will take a while to fix. :(

Pics aren't as bad as I imagined in my mind. Glad you are OK. If you didn't have insurance a new winshield and you would be good to go.