Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've just upgraded my ADSL 512K connection to a ADSL2+ connection at home. (no additional cost per month).

Modem is syncing at 15000/800, and to be honest the general browsing appears to be no quicker.

Quickly doing some download speed tests, indicate anyway between 11Mbps and 9Mbps depending on which speed test (and site) I use, so it's definitely quicker on benchmarks.

In other news, my wife Elin is now 8weeks pregnant with our second child! Pity she suffers from morning sickness so severally, and Isaac (our son) is such a handful - she's exhausted by the time I get home from work. (She's said this is the last one, and if I don't get the "snip", she'll do it - and considering she's a bovine vet and used to do bulls on a semi-regular basis - I know she's not kidding). BTW, I have no issues with getting the procedure done. :errr:

PS. Isaac is now 16mths old, so the two of them will be just under 2yrs apart. Which IMHO is a good age difference.

@Merc, what does your insurance policy deem as an acceptable repair time? (Most don't specify a time, but I know my personal policy deems no longer than 2 weeks - depending on level of work and agreed otherwise - is acceptable, and the insurer will cover any and all transport costs including getting an equivalent rental car until the repair is complete if the repair takes longer than an agreed time frame). I do agree over a month is unreasonable and should contact the insurance company to get it hurried up.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm following the situation in Iran in threads on Fark.com.

Fark is a place where professional journalists like to hang out. There's some crossposting of Tweets from people on the ground in Tehran along with some international members who are either Persian or Farsi-speaking.

I am utterly captivated by the real-time updates, but also with the occasional bit of commentary from the journalists or the actual Middle-Easterners. It is utterly disgusting how different the real-time updates from Twitter are from the very limited and ineffectual coverage coming from main stream media, not just in timing (CNN is lagging ~4 - 6 hours behind real time right now) but also in the subject matter that's more important than the situation in Iran... things like the dangers of swine flu and the new Jonas Brothers album.

Anyway, Twitter finally did something useful.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm following the situation in Iran in threads on Fark.com.

It is utterly disgusting how different the real-time updates from Twitter are from the very limited and ineffectual coverage coming from main stream media, not just in timing (CNN is lagging ~4 - 6 hours behind real time right now) but also in the subject matter that's more important than the situation in Iran... things like the dangers of swine flu and the new Jonas Brothers album.

Anyway, Twitter finally did something useful.

^wrong thread Merc :p

I am utterly disgusted that older men take advantage of innocent, unassuming, naive women...those men using their superior experience and intelligence to pursue and gain their confidences. I met such a man who visited a local sushi restaurant, fell in perverse lust with such a woman, from early on 2yrs ago when she started working at this establishment (I had the most unfortunate---why me God, I have proof God exists and God is one sick bastard--- sickly disturbing luck to get seated next to him, while he was seated next to the object of his wantoness as she had invited him to her belated B-day dinner celebration) and since that time had tried unsuccessfully to get her to allow him to take pictures of her with his Nikon D3...he's in the music business so I hear, not a pro photographer, but recently he told me she finally acquiested, allowed him...2yrs later...my what a persistent perv.

He eats at this local sushi restaurant nearly every month, if not more often. He knew that she worked only on Thur & Fri, and according to my friend who knows him sort of well, that's the *only* time he goes to the restaurant, on nights she's working.

Makes me sick these kinds of predators can prey on the vulnerability of women who don't have enough sense to be more careful, are prone to be manipulated by more intelligent, devious men. Utterly disgusting, I felt uncomfortable the whole evening after learning these facts from talking to the guy, and more stuff he told me. I lost my appetite, seeing how she's so naive, so unware? So in denial that this is 'normal'.?

What is worse, all the other waitresses (2), and the only chef/owner, do nothing to discourage his intense interest in her, by doing nothing, treating him like a gold-star customer, they actually condone his abnormal interest in her. Yeah, guess she's not too smart, but she's at a disadvantage with a smooth operator who's got lots of money. Apparently he does not work regular hours, idle wealthy, time to stalk women I guess- and I was half asleep when I left the restaurant @1AM, he told me he lives 45min by freeway from this restaurant, seemed fresh as a daisy. Also told me about how he got another "20yr old 'beautiful' woman" to allow him to take pictures of her too. Was disturbing for me to hear. Frustrating to know I am powerless to do anything that would amount to any good in this situation, to help enlighten this not so smart woman...go grow a pair, of brains!. :D

I could tell her of my alarm, concern; and she'll probably tell me I'm just imaging the worse, that he's really a great guy that she likes. And probably shoot the messenger, angrily telling me to mind my own business that I don't know her, and it's her own life, her business, not mine. Sure, sure; it's all just my paranoia, she'll do just fine.

Life sucks, and then you die.

I did argue with him about how shooting without fill flash was nearly impossible at the beach, he disagreed but said he did use some flash fill on some of the images, saying if you have the light away from them, the high contrast sunlight isn't a problem...I told him, depends on the viewers tastes in lighting, that Sport Illustrated photogs *always* use massive soft fill lighting, scrims, high power lighting, on the yearly swimsuit editions...bet he would love to get this naive young woman in a thong bikini shot...maybe next time? Uggh, just thinking about it makes me sick.

I also saw a rather simple form letter he had been working on for her---aske to see what he & she were looking at, as a terms and conditions for employment as an indepedent salaried actress on a fictitional movie. Man this guy doesn't miss a beat, no missed opportunity to 'help' her with her aspiring actress career. She's kind of in a tight situation, as she's technically not here in the USA legally, being a Japanese born individual, and of course this guy knows that too :(.

At least her younger sister is here in town currently going to community college (so the sister is here legally until she finishes her education).
Though you can't help a person that's not smart enough to realize when someone has improper interest in you, when you're not smart enough to figure it out yourself. Still doesn't mean I can't help but be seriously bothered that I am powerless to make her see the "light".

Man, she must be dumb though, she resisted his initial offer to photograph her 2yrs ago (and who knows how many times after that) when she started working in the restaurant that he's been a regular customer for 15yrs, but somehow he gained her confidence, and she let him take her to a 'friends' photography studio, and then to the beach. Wtf, didn't she mention to the chef that he asked her to allow him to take photos of her when she started working there? Wtf is wrong with the chef? I know for a fact the chef doesn't really care about this customer, actually overcharged that guy a few times, made the customer mad such that he did not come in for a short time. Not like the chef needs his business...so wtf is the chef not doing what he should to protect her, making no effort at all to advise her, given she's really not thinking, not good at taking care of herself...been seduced by his smooth talking?

I just am disgusted to find out, and had to sit next to this guy, as he flirted with the woman the whole night...sick!

yeah, yeah, I know it happens all the time...still doesn't make it easy (for me) to stomach. Men are pigs.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Somewhere between David and Bozo.

...not enough to have been in Viet Nam.

Somewhere around me or Tony?

You are in better shape than I am. Yesterday I did 13lb. on the right hand dumbbell with minimal pain. It was the first time this year since the trauma and rehab (which sucks).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Trauma? Wrist, elbow or shoulder?

I feel I'm about to have a trauma of my own. Two days ago was the first time I had to stop a serie (doing triceps) because the pain in my left elbow was too high and I'm quite hard with my body. This evening, I've been stuck with a puny 80lbs weight doing shoulder press with my right arm (supposedly my strong arm). I was able to lift easily the same weight with my weeker left arm. I had the feeling the juice just wasn't reaching the muscle. 80lbs is supposed to be easy to lift when you have been previously able to lift 100lbs.

There are several things wrong with my body and I don't know what are the causes. I guess I'm nearing the end of my strong-man days.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd say I was at the top of my game cycling in my mid-thirties, 5'9", 170 lbs of mostly muscle. Right now I'm about where I was in college except I'm carrying 30 more pounds. If I could manage to ride 100-150 hard miles a week I've little doubt I could get close to my peak again. Problem is the weather lately. June has had rain nearly every day. :(

Mercutio

Did they at least supply you with a rental for the duration?

I'm giving my dad's car back Friday and taking their rental, and also I'm going to strongly suggest they pay my insurance deductible. It's only $50 but at this point I don't feel like I should have to pay for anything related to this.

Handruin

Administrator
The time it has taken them is pretty appalling. I hope at the very least they were able to repair the car at a decent quality level.

Mercutio

The hilarious thing for me right now is that I've had the paperwork to renew my license plates for a month, and I haven't been able to because one of the fields on the form is for my VIN number, which I don't know, because it's on the car that I haven't seen for six weeks.

Handruin

Administrator
Isn't the VIN on your vehicle title if you own it out right or likely on your statement if you're financing it? It's probably on your insurance papers some where.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Farrah Fawcett dead @62 from cancer, Michael Jackson dead of a heart attack @50.

As Ferris Bueller would say:

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Appreciate what family and friends you have today, for tomorrow they/it could all be gone.

Stereodude

Not really a
You don't keep a copy of your registration at home? You could also get a copy of your insurance declaration with the VIN on it.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yeah, you'd pretty much have to be a real dork not to have access to the VIN. It's on sooo many items/paper trails. It's on the pink slip, registration, insurance papers, etc.

>real dork SFW (no actual nudity, less than a cover of Vanity Fair :) ) attached...twitter screenshot, from her recent twitter acct humorous rants, of one of the few American-Asian pr0nstars currently in Ameripr0n...eh, never mind, got to covert from .tiff to .jpg...2 laZ.

In other news, how many of SF member can perform CPR or use an AED, actually have easy access to an AED, since I read 80% of heart attacks occur in the home environs (see quote below :p )?

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayR...CT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-25-2009/0005050842

The Sudden Cardiac Arrest Association said Thursday that pop singer Michael Jackson's death at the age of 50 underscores the tragedy of sudden cardiac arrest, which kills nearly 300,000 Americans each year and is the nation's leading cause of death. "Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is the result of an electrical disruption of the heart and is different than a heart attack. It can strike seemingly healthy individuals without warning, including those with no known history of heart disease. SCA kills an American once every two minutes and can happen virtually anytime and anywhere. Nearly 80 percent of all sudden cardiac arrests occur in the home, like in Mr. Jackson's case. Even though Mr. Jackson's collapse was apparently witnessed, emergency medical services responded promptly and Mr. Jackson's home was near UCLA Medical Center, it was still not sufficient to revive Mr. Jackson because SCA victims usually need immediate CPR and the shock of an automated external defibrillator (AED) if they are to have any chance of survival. Today's news should be a reminder that CPR is a basic life-saving skill that everyone should know, and that AEDs should be widely deployed to enhance the chance of survival."
For more information, please visit www.suddencardiacarrest.org.
What I don't get...is supposing the LATimes story is correct on the timeline, why did not the paramedics transport MJ to UCLA immediately, why 42min before arriving @UCLA Med Cent? If MJ's personal physician was actually already performing CPR, and we assume the 911 call came in @that time, MJ could have already been in a coma, but still, would it been possible to save him if they got him to UCLA faster than 42min?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-michael-jackson-dead26-2009jun26,0,2152435.story

Paramedics found Jackson in cardiac arrest when they arrived at his home shortly before 12:30 p.m., three minutes and 17 seconds after receiving a 911 call. His personal physician was already in the house performing CPR. Jackson was not breathing, and it appears he never regained consciousness. Paramedics treated Jackson at the house for 42 minutes, and he was declared dead at 2:26 p.m. at UCLA Medical Center, about two miles from his home above Sunset Boulevard.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...e-department-paramedics--capt-steve-ruda.html

paramedics found him in a coma at his Bel-Air mansion, city and law enforcement sources told The Times.

Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Steve Ruda told The Times that paramedics responded to a 911 call from the home. When they arrived, Jackson was not breathing.

The paramedics performed CPR and took Jackson to UCLA Medical Center, Ruda said. Hundreds of reporters gathered at the hospital awaiting word on his condition. The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said family members rushed to Jackson’s bedside, where he was in a deep coma....

A doctor was in the house performing CPR on Jackson, said the source who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media. Paramedics were called to a home in the 100 block of Carolwood Drive off Sunset Boulevard.

Jackson rented the Bel-Air home -- described as a French chateau built in 2002 with seven bedrooms, 13 bathrooms, 12 fireplaces and a theater -- for $100,000 a month. The home is about a six-minute drive from UCLA Medical Center.
$12Mil/yr Holmby Hills rental, just around the corner from Hefs mansion...damn, wish I was *that* wealthy! Guess Jackson's rumored 'financial' problems did not stifle or crimp his continued living the high life, livin large.

Link for AHA approved online & kits for CPR & AED training:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3040526

http://www.laerdal.com/doc/20463738/Heartsaver-AED-Course.html

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/ekgecg/l/blecg1.htm

Red Cross centers provide in person group training classes in these also, weekends and weekday schedules.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll be doing a long-distance single-handed sailboat race today. My wife is worried because this is the style of race with the most fatalities, that means it should be fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
The race didn't go well.

Conditions were pretty bad, so only two of us went out. By the time we had cleared the bay I'd had to downsize my headsail twice (to a #3 stormsail) and the other guy had reefed his main (no reef points on mine). Shortly after entering open ocean the wind was blowing near 35kts and waves were breaking clear over the boat. At that point I decided to call the other boat and inform him I was abandoning the race, but I couldn't hear my radio over the wind. After spinning the boat downwind and clearing 14kts surfing down some monster waves, I was able to look back and see he'd done the same. The 10 miles back to the harbor flew by, and it wasn't until we got in that we started counting injuries/damage. My knee was blown out, and some bleeding from my left leg. He was all bruised up (a wave knocked him loose and he rattled around a bit). Damage on the boat was less than $500.

I really enjoyed it.

paugie

Storage is cool
The race didn't go well.

Conditions were pretty bad, so only two of us went out. ... we got in that we started counting injuries/damage. My knee was blown out, and some bleeding from my left leg. He was all bruised up (a wave knocked him loose and he rattled around a bit). Damage on the boat was less than $500.

I really enjoyed it.

I somehow knew you'd say that. Was the wife sick with worry? Then relieved. Did she give you an earful? In the same situation, I know my wife would.