Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
So the massive number of 10' 2x4s will be the studs? You have 10' of height in the basement?
I have 8' 11.5" from the concrete floor to the bottom of the floor joists overhead (I paid handsomely to get that extra 16" of depth in the basement). There's no way to make 8' long studs work and there's no 2x4's available that are between 8' and 10' so I'm going to get to cut off ~18" from every 10' stud.

Stereodude

Not really a
We don't have many basements in the southwest. I've never had one actually. I have heard they are more prevalent in the north, east and midwest.
This has to be some sort of record for the most personal information ever from you in a single post. You've narrowed yourself down to a geographic region. :p
I assume you have good plans for the lumber. We once had a bunch of wood delivered in 1986 and then plans changed. The wood was piled up for over ten years and never used. :(
I sure do have some good plans. :sunny: My Dad has a large pile of 2x4's in his basement for a darkroom he was going to build but never did. They've been there for a lot more than 10 years. Unfortunately they're too short to be of any use to me on this project.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My Dad has a large pile of 2x4's in his basement for a darkroom he was going to build but never did. They've been there for a lot more than 10 years. Unfortunately they're too short to be of any use to me on this project.

:rotfl: That sounds so familiar. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This is interesting. I just had an indecent with my raptor 300 where it wouldn't detect at startup, but is now working fine again outside the case so I think I will give it a new cable. Anyway out of interest I checked out the warranty on WD's site and found a most interesting thing. It appears that if you trade the remainder of your drives warranty plus some cash you can upgrade to a different drive. No need to turn in the current drive, you just no longer have a warranty on it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Oh my god WD, facepalm.

I checked the serial of a eight or so year old out of warranty drive, a upgrade to a WD6000HLHX costs $280.00. So then I check my raptor 300 to trade in to the same WD6000HLHX and drum roll please, yes, $280.00. Trading in my warranty does nothing at all but lose my warranty.

Edit the raptor expires in 2014, plenty of time to "sell" back to WD.
Edit2 I guess the real fail is that is the same price retailers are selling the drive for.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Grrr, the samsung F3 from newegg is DOA. One single drive wrapped in bubble wrap in a small box placed on the bottom of a bigger box with paper pack on top of it. Newegg is trying but they aren't quite there yet. So now I go to bestbuy to get a seagate that is sold there for $10 less than it is sold on newegg. If bestbuy sold samsung I wouldn't have even considered newegg in the first place, oh well.

LunarMist

The OEM WD2001FASS was supplied in a brown cardboard box with the plastic suspension caps, the same as the retail drives have. :flower:

LunarMist

Wow. I had no idea that the Germans were so popular up north. :santa:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It was everything I expected it to be. Rammstein is great on stage and the crowd was quite agitated. I went there with my younger brother and we teamed up with another big guy to protect his little sister. We were near the stage and that was no place for a 5 feet/100 pounds woman...without a wall of tall guys surrounding her. I missed the last part of Feuer Frei stopping a group of 15-20 freaks from trampling us. It was quite a training. My brother had his shirt ruined with the blood of a guy with a broken nose.

It was awesome!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What is it like, Altamont? ;)
Far from it. People were pushing, but I haven't been punched (no one there THAT insane) and I didn't have to punch back. The guy with the broken nose had been hit by an elbow. The farthest I've been was to almost rip off someone's arm, before realizing the arm wasn't to the one who pissed me off.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
They don't know how to save a BMP as a PNG? :cyclops:

Silly, isn't it? I also notice that a lot of people save and embed vector graphics and text in blotchy and bloated JPEG files instead of a simple GIF or PNG. You see that all the time on website nav buttons and banners. Don't webmasters have basic training on this stuff?

LunarMist

In the old days I always used PNG, even for photo TIFFs. It saved about 1/3 of the file size, which was important back in the days of 120 megapixel 6x9 film scans and 80 GB hard drives. :elephant:

ddrueding

Fixture
In the two hours it took me to drive from Monterey to SFO, the flight from Heathrow fell behind by two hours.

Good sightings, though. A McLaren F1 near Gilroy and three Teslas on special platforms being loaded into a BA 747.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. My parents just spent the last few weeks in the south of France. It wasn't until after I moved out that they started going to cool places ;)