Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Seriously? I'm working on encrypting throwing out the 500GB and smaller drives lately.

LunarMist

Seriously? I'm working on encrypting and throwing out the 500GB and smaller drives lately.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have not purchased a hard drive on almost two months. :erm:
I cannot take it anymore. :shake2: What should I buy tonight?

A Samsung Spinpoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm laptop drive?

Ah never mind deal has expired (was $74 shipped).

LunarMist

I already have three. :) Unfortunately the one used as the boot drive is unbearably slow for some reason. :(

paugie

Storage is cool
I am ok (for those wondering) the typhoon knocked out the internet. that's all.

But lots of my countrymen are having a hard time. Many farmers' rice was ready for harvest so that was a big thing.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

But lots of my countrymen are having a hard time. Many farmers' rice was ready for harvest so that was a big thing.

Glad to hear you are ok. Crop losses :(

ddrueding

Fixture

Glad to hear it, paugie. It has been a while since we've heard from you...

LunarMist

I resisted the urgencies. It is easier now since I can only order from the Egg on Mondays or Tuesdays. :(

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Took my first ride into work tonight, what with the nice weather we have been having. Friday night so a potential issue with drunkards but I was travelling prior to pub closing times. Everyone was well behaved, I give plenty of space for people to merge/do crazy unpredictable stuff. I dropped her in the driveway the other day whilst trying to duck walk backwards into the garage, and what I didn't realise was the bar end mirror was pinching the throttle, such that it wouldn't drop back to idle via spring force upon release. So an extra excitement today in mentally making sure I was rolling off the throttle when slowing down. Upshifts are like I'm trying for a record quarter mile time. At steady state it"s sort of like cruise control for free :) Gotta get me a motorbike ezpass so I don't hold everyone up at the toll booth tho...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
When going through tolls I used to stick a couple dollars in fairing cracks to have ready at the toll, quick to grab. Never lost any either. Lots of riders up here say they get waived through, never happened to me though.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yay, finally got some up art on the walls of my office. Only had them sitting around for two years.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Is that a Canon MP490? Also, do you have a bad eyesight? A 32" TV at two feet of your face, you certainly like big text. Overall, it's neat though. It must be nice to work next to a big patio door, makes you feel outside.

ddrueding

Fixture
Used my Garmin GPS watch to record my flight. It thinks I cycled for an hour, covered 148 miles and burned 5572 calories with a total ascent of 11197 feet.

Damn I'm good. ;)

Google Earth viewable track attached.

ddrueding

Fixture
What about burning 5500+ calories. From what I recall when I co-piloted a small airplane, it wasn't an exhausting activity.

I used my Garmin 610 cycling watch to capture the route. It was configured to calculate calories based on speed and elevation changes (I didn't wear my heart rate monitor in the plane). So according to the Garmin software, had a rode a bicycle at that speed over that profile I would have burned that many calories in an hour.

Considering we went through 12 gallons of aviation fuel (~378,000 calories), I would call that an understatement.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
But a bike doesn't weight 2000lbs and you don't need to carry a flying instructor on it either, so if it had been possible to average 148MPH on a bike for an hour, you would not had needed nearly as much energy to do so as you needed onboard an airplane.

LunarMist

Is the Garmin under warranty? Obviously it is not calculating correctly.

ddrueding

Fixture
The calculation happens in software after I get back and upload to the PC. I suspect that the values it received were outside their prediction model.

ddrueding

Fixture
It was given a false piece of data (that I was on a bicycle). Based on that, any error in the reporting or analysis is not surprising. Particularly considering the performance recorded was so far out of the reasonable envelope for a bicycle.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
What about burning 5500+ calories. From what I recall when I co-piloted a small airplane, it wasn't an exhausting activity.

You were doing it wrong. You need to set the auto-pilot and get in the back and get busy with the stewardess/gf/wifey.

My 550lb steed gets about 50 mpg if kept at 55/65MPH.

ddrueding

Fixture
We got it slowed to 55MPH balanced on the prop, but at that point we were very high-alpha and she wanted to keep dropping a wing. Something tells me that still won't get us close to 50mpg, maybe 7 ;)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is that a Canon MP490? Also, do you have a bad eyesight? A 32" TV at two feet of your face, you certainly like big text. Overall, it's neat though. It must be nice to work next to a big patio door, makes you feel outside.

Canon MG5220.

Someone else commented on this being too big and close but the keyboard tray is pushed all the way in. With that out I sit a little over a yard away from the monitor. Seems perfect to me, games fill much of my frontal vision and default size text seems to be the right size at native 1080p. I don't miss my multiple monitor setup, and have convinced at least one other to go with a 32" tv after they sat and used this for a bit. Still sometimes I think about removing the bookshelf up top or raising it somehow so I can get the monitor just a little bit further away.

The big glass door is really nice. Being in Nashua NH (more or less a city) you would think I wouldn't see much wild life. Not too long ago I say a fox trotting by but was too slow with the camera. Just recently caught this and this, they walked right by my window.

Yay Penny Arcade. Nice office.

Thank you.

LunarMist

Damned captchas. I keep trying to make changes to an account on a particular website and it claims I am entering the wrong code. :mad:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah I agree, they don't appear to be fairing well. Don't know if they wandered into the city for food or are lost or what. We have a decent amount of wooded areas near here but nothing I would consider a forest. Don't know their foraging habits.

Yes, it's a home office. Past couple years I am here or flying somewhere. I wish I was doing some local jobs still but the guys here have things well figured out.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I bought a Lite-On Blu-ray burner so I could quality scan burned BD-R media. Clearly not all blank media is created equal.

Memorex 4x
Burned w/ ImgBurn @ 6x in Pioneer BDR-206
memorex4xat6xihs112.png

Merax 4x Printable
Burned w/ ImgBurn @ 4x in Pioneer BDR-206
merax4xat4xihbs112.png

Optical Quantum 4x
Burned w/ ImgBurn @ 4x in Pioneer BDR-206
oq4xat4xihbd112.png

Verbatim 4x
Burned w/ ImgBurn @ 8x in Pioneer BDR-206
verbatim4xat8xihbs112.png

Verbatim 6x
Burned w/ ImgBurn @ 6x in Pioneer BDR-206
verbatim6xat6xihbs112.png

LunarMist

What are your criteria? I'm not clear if you are qualifying the media or selecting vendors. Do you have a quality agreement or supply agreement yet?

Stereodude

Not really a
What are your criteria? I'm not clear if you are qualifying the media or selecting vendors. Do you have a quality agreement or supply agreement yet?
It's just personal interest. My criteria is making sure I'm getting good quality burns out of my burner.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Just got my final assignment for my "Systems Programming" class. Need to write a multi-threaded webserver, that can handle GET, POST and CGI applications in plain C99 w/pthreads for POSIX environments (aka Solaris, FreeBSD and Linux). I have a little over 3 weeks to get it done. :(
Well, I've got it done. ;)

I just have a few questions about CGI handling that is very vague in RFC3875, but otherwise have to all working. (It has to do with environment variables, and execute permissions).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Congratulations Chewy and I hope you'll be nicely rewarded in the notation of your work.

Regarding the optical medias, I only really trust Verbatim's products. Some others are ok, but if you want to be sure, I've only found Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden are not as widely available here and they tend to be overpriced).