Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you know anything about the error thresholds that would cause that burner to drop speed?
These are read errors on a completed disc. The burner has a preset write strategy for a particular blank disc and it will follow it. AFAIK, burner don't monitor discs while they're being burnt, so the burner blindly follows the write strategy. Doing a quality scan on the finished disc (with a drive that supports quality scanning) is the best way to confirm that the burn is good. Doing a verify is a good first step, but certainly isn't foolproof. These three burns were all made within the past 8 months, all passed a verify but the discs are barely readable now.

merax4xat4xihbs112.png

merax4xat4xihbs1122.png

merax4xat4xihbs1123.png

Right now I'm struggling to copy the contents of these discs back to the HD to be burned onto better media. So far they have all copied, but rather slowly.

Stereodude

Not really a
Regarding the optical medias, I only really trust Verbatim's products. Some others are ok, but if you want to be sure, I've only found Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden are not as widely available here and they tend to be overpriced).
I tried some other BD-R's from Optical Quantum & Memorex and from the scans I posted earlier you can see they're not quite as good as the Verbatim BD-R's (though they are cheaper), but they're pretty decent. They're much better than the Merax / Optodisc disasters I mistakenly tried.

Someone recommended SmartBlu BD-R media to me. SmartBlu is the store brand of Media Mega Mall, but they're made by Falcon in the UAE using TDK technology and the scans I've seen posted online for them show they're as good if not better than the non-LTH Verbatim discs and they're about as cheap as BD-R's get ($.99 each). I have some on order to check them out.

For burnable DVD's I only use Verbatim +R's, though I steer clear of their Life Series since they're not as good. I would buy TY media, but up until recently they didn't make +R media and they're more expensive than the Verbatim discs.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's just personal interest. My criteria is making sure I'm getting good quality burns out of my burner.

Do you think they are more reliable ar durable than hard drives? The price/capacity made no sense when I thought about burning Blue-Rays a couple of years ago.

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you think they are more reliable or durable than hard drives?
Perhaps. It depends on what you mean by reliable or durable. If you're talking about longevity sitting on a shelf for 10 years the answer may be different than if you're talking about dropping it on the ground 10 times.
The price/capacity made no sense when I thought about burning Blue-Rays a couple of years ago.
You probably weren't thinking about burning the same things I am. It's a little difficult to put a hard drive in a blu-ray player and play it. ;)

LunarMist

Perhaps. It depends on what you mean by reliable or durable. If you're talking about longevity sitting on a shelf for 10 years the answer may be different than if you're talking about dropping it on the ground 10 times.
You probably weren't thinking about burning the same things I am. It's a little difficult to put a hard drive in a blu-ray player and play it. ;)

No, I'm an old fart and not into the illegal stuff.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Glad she's fine, DD. Luck, random chance, whatever. The dividing line between being ok and not is usually quite fine.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Riding in to work tonight, about 5 minutes out on 4 lane highway, bike starts needing more and more throttle to maintain 55. Think I could find the reserve fuel setting with winter gloves on? Failed one of the first things they taught in the MSF course. Luckily the traffic wasn't too bad, managed to coast to a stop in the breakdown lane on the right side. Switch to reserve, crank, no luck, switch to prime for a few seconds, back to reserve, eventually she got gas back in her veins and things were hunky dory. But there was a certain pucker factor observed tonight.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Indeed. I never let my bike get that low; every Saturday the bike got a once-over that included topping up the tank.

Yeah normally I would have refueled earlier but I wanted to find out the tank limits. Turns out it's about 160 miles on the normal setting, then another 1 gallon in reserve.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yahoo answers is one of those things like Youtube or Digg comments sections that will just make you hate humanity the more you look at it. Best to avoid it except for the occasional laugh.

Handruin

Administrator
I think 95% of those Yahoo answers are written such to make us laugh, not because people really have a question they need answered.

LunarMist

If the speakers are asymmetrical and too close to one's head, I think they should they be mirror images of each other. In the sideways orientation they should be the opposite (same).

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry Lunar, I'm lost in the description. I would expect the speakers should be somewhat symmetrical and with a slight toe-in, though some argue against this. If it's that close to your head, I don't think it'll much matter. you won't get a good separation at a very close distance.

ddrueding

Fixture
If they are close, I prefer the sub and midrange near the middle and the tweeters on the outside, as higher frequencies are more directional. Yes, this means that one of the labels is upside-down.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Are the left and right supposed to be symmetrical or the same?

When a tweeter is offset from the woofers axis, they are often designated as a left/right pair, and marked as such. Ideally you would have symmetry, such that at least you, in the prime seating position, would have the best imaging possible. If you have plenty of off axis seating positions, a speaker with a coaxial driver (tweeter sound comes out of the dustcap of a woofer) can help things out. The difference is usually noticed in terms of dialogue clarity, or lack thereof.

If you have two identical yet offset bookshelf speakers you might be able to flip one over to get symmetry.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Very few humans in the world are symmetrical; i.e., the left side being a mirror image of the right. For everybody else, one is bigger, hangs lower, etc. This applies to testicles, breasts, ears, nostrils, eyes, buttocks, you name it.

So nothing to be alarmed if one is hanging a bit lower. I remember visiting a website that listed the famous few who were symmetrical, and they were indeed beautiful / handsome in some indescribable way.

Handruin

Administrator
So nothing to be alarmed if one is hanging a bit lower. I remember visiting a website that listed the famous few who were symmetrical, and they were indeed beautiful / handsome in some indescribable way.

In case this was aimed at my comment to time regarding him getting it checked out. I was completely joking.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So the last few times I've been riding, I've been a little hurried in terms of letting the bike warm up properly before setting off. Today she reminded me several times that yes, I can and will try and kill you by stalling out at intersections if you do not respect me. Lesson learned.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My first bike was a PITA until it was decently hot. Second was no problem at all, as long as enrichment was set right. Carbs suck, my next bike is going to be fuel injected.