Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
Wow, 15 years is a long time. I looked back at the first post and it was on January 14th, 2002. Many of the same crew are still around.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Yeah, I have a bad feeling about Merc being missing this long. Feels to me almost like when we found out about P5-133XL. Here's hoping it doesn't turn out like that.

In other news my music collection has grown to the point that I need a 128GB microSD card to hold it all. I don't know if I should be scared or proud.

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone using Block access for USEnet? I've been paying monthly, and it seems like I could save a fair bit moving to the pre-paid "block" model.
It's almost 2.5 years later and I still haven't used even half of my block. Too bad I can't do the same thing with my cell phone. Buy a block of minutes up front that don't expire and ditch the monthly bill. Of course Verizon wouldn't make any money from me, but I'd be okay with that.

Stereodude

Not really a
I must have really bad luck with uSDXC cards. I get a 128GB EVO+ Samsung today and it passes the fakeflashtest check, but its write speeds are highly erratic.

A 406MB copy of data:
attachment.php

A fair portion of the data copy was under 1MB/sec and it's large FLAC files.

Samsung 128gB EVO plus.png

Stereodude

Not really a
Why not use the PRO+ or some other better flash memory?
Because I wasn't looking to pay several times as much money. I've done multiple CDM benchmark runs on this card, and I'm not sure what to conclude. Reads are consistent, but writes are not. Some runs were slow, some were as expected. Here are 4 CDM runs in order. The first was the slowest. The last two were the fastest. It almost seems like the card is doing some sort of garbage collection or internal trim operation after the fakeflashtest run (which writes small amounts of data all over the entire card, but leaves lots of holes). And this internal "consolidation" operation some time to complete before the performance recovers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

CDM_Samsung_Pro_Plus_128gB_uSD_USB_1.png CDM_Samsung_Pro_Plus_128gB_uSD_USB_2.png CDM_Samsung_Pro_Plus_128gB_uSD_USB_3.png CDM_Samsung_Pro_Plus_128gB_uSD_USB_4.png

Handruin

Administrator
That's pretty impressive. 5 different attempts at adding some redundancy / backing up and none actually work. :bomb:

What is even scarier is that they were one backup away from losing everything. They had one copy of their entire database left. If that person hadn't done the right thing at the final moment, they may have been going out of business. We use Gitlab at work but we host our own and back it up with the product we make.

Handruin

Administrator
Those IOps are slow enough to make me think it's a spindle. Is there a problem with your SATA controller?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is even scarier is that they were one backup away from losing everything. They had one copy of their entire database left. If that person hadn't done the right thing at the final moment, they may have been going out of business. We use Gitlab at work but we host our own and back it up with the product we make.

Github sounds like a group of gits getting together. :lol:

Handruin

Administrator
I wrote github in my first post but I meant gitlab (different companies). Gitlab is actually a neat company and they make a good product.

Stereodude

Not really a
Those IOps are slow enough to make me think it's a spindle. Is there a problem with your SATA controller?
It's a microSDXC card, so it's not on a SATA controller. It was in a USB 3.0 reader. The latter two CDM runs are where the card should be performing. I did several more runs this morning and they were all like the last 2 I posted. :scratch: