Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Of course and that was a few years ago.
I'm surprised that Sedorkian [emphasis mine :)] is noticing a large difference and suspect that there are multiple variables involved or it is mental perception.

It is probably just mental perception, and the sheer difference that this change made in particular as I migrated him from 6-year-old spinning rust to this NVMe drive. I doubt I'd notice near as appreciable a difference going from my boot SSD on SATA III to that NVMe drive, especially considering I run Linux with a stupidly quick init system as it is.

Stereodude

Not really a
So apparently UHD Blu-rays are extremely sensitive about having a perfectly clean disc. I opened a brand new movie last night from the shrinkwrap, put it in the player, and started watching it. At about 2 hours into the movie playback froze. Upon ejecting the disc and examining it closely with a flashlight I found a small spec of debris on it. Something several times smaller than a grain of sand or salt. I blew it off with a puff of breath, put the disc back in the player, and playback resumed without issue.

I had previously seen some forum chatter about this otherwise I would have never guessed that such a tiny spec would halt playback and cause the issue. I certainly will not be buying any used UHD BDs that I can't inspect in person.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is probably just mental perception, and the sheer difference that this change made in particular as I migrated him from 6-year-old spinning rust to this NVMe drive. I doubt I'd notice near as appreciable a difference going from my boot SSD on SATA III to that NVMe drive, especially considering I run Linux with a stupidly quick init system as it is.

Oops, there was no disrespect intended towards you or your family name.

LunarMist

So apparently UHD Blu-rays are extremely sensitive about having a perfectly clean disc. I opened a brand new movie last night from the shrinkwrap, put it in the player, and started watching it. At about 2 hours into the movie playback froze. Upon ejecting the disc and examining it closely with a flashlight I found a small spec of debris on it. Something several times smaller than a grain of sand or salt. I blew it off with a puff of breath, put the disc back in the player, and playback resumed without issue.

I had previously seen some forum chatter about this otherwise I would have never guessed that such a tiny spec would halt playback and cause the issue. I certainly will not be buying any used UHD BDs that I can't inspect in person.

Are they further in the UV or what exactly is the technical problem?

Stereodude

Not really a
Are they further in the UV or what exactly is the technical problem?
No, they are not further into the UV spectrum. They reduced the size of the pits slightly to get 33GB per layer instead of 25GB. I'm not sure why this seems to have such a dramatic effect on readability. I've only watched 3 UHD BD's so far and sampled parts of a 4th. I can't exactly say how common this is as my sample size is quite small.

LunarMist

If you'd been paying attention years ago, you'd know his real name.

Do you really expect me to remember all that stuff from decades ago? I remember that Supercaffeinated guy, Trinton Azaleth, Mark the decedent, etc. but not everyone.

Handruin

Administrator
Shit, in fairness I don't remember his name either. I haven't been paying that close attention to his posts. Has it been 5 years?

sedrosken

Florida Man
I got my necessary materials for finishing up my CPU and whatnot yesterday but with this sinus thing I've had going on I had to work up the ambition to actually do it today. It went more or less without a hitch -- I was legitimately surprised, but I was disappointed to note that I seem to have already found the overclocking sweet spot for my chip. I can't really push past 4.3GHz unless I want to crank my voltage to levels I don't find reasonable. I could get to 4.5GHz but I had to go to nearly 1.3v to get it stable which I find unacceptable given I got 4.3 stable at 60mV less. 4.6 or higher will pass POST but fail to boot into Linux, usually causing a kernel panic -- I haven't exactly tried Windows on here again in the interest of testing but I feel like I've hit my plateau. Still, I'm very happy with my temps. I used my leftover kryonaut to repaste my 480 and even that's running a couple degrees cooler now. I'm currently letting folding run laps on it as a stress test of sorts -- it's not as sadistic as a stressfpu test in prime95 or furmark on the GPU, but it's still a fairly imposing load that doesn't let up.

LunarMist

I had a great laugh over this:

I found it far too long/boring and didn't watch the whole thing.
However, it doesn't seem too smart of an entrapment to do that at home, especially in the US. The victim might return and exact revenge. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I thought he did a great job and the video was well done. I've seen his other videos and it made me happy that he was able to get some mostly-harmless revenge on the thieves.

Handruin

Administrator
During the install and configuration of Win10 they encourage connecting to your Microsoft account and if you skip, they encourage a password for a local account.

LunarMist

During the install and configuration of Win10 they encourage connecting to your Microsoft account and if you skip, they encourage a password for a local account.

Somehow I posted to the wrong thread. :(
I looked and is ODM. I typically use that based on advice given that it is a generic name for the original device manufacturer, rather than a human name. I could use DELL I suppose.
I usually specify no password or something like 12345678.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I ate way TOO much CRAP food this holiday season. I trying to finish it all up before the clock strikes midnight. I have a bowel with the leftovers of pecan pie, choc & strawberry ice cream, cookies, whip cream, etc. Going into a sugar comma. Goodnight.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Download everything Google has saved about you. Google will ask you to log into an account if you aren't already logged in one before you click the link. Says it may take "hours or days" before the data is ready for downloading. I told them to send me a download link via email. Interesting to find out what in the file(s).

https://takeout.google.com/

Edit: Only took about 5 minutes to get download links via email. I requested two files. One "everything" and one just Gmail. The files are 1.88 and 1.85GB .ZIP files. The slightly bigger file contains all 41 Google products and the smaller files was just my Gmail. The smaller file unzips into a .MBOX file that is 2.54GB in size. Gotta get a .MBOX viewer now.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Download everything Google has saved about you. Google will ask you to log into an account if you aren't already logged in one before you click the link. Says it may take "hours or days" before the data is ready for downloading. I told them to send me a download link via email. Interesting to find out what in the file(s).

https://takeout.google.com/

Edit: Only took about 5 minutes to get download links via email. I requested two files. One "everything" and one just Gmail. The files are 1.88 and 1.85GB .ZIP files. The slightly bigger file contains all 41 Google products and the smaller files was just my Gmail. The smaller file unzips into a .MBOX file that is 2.54GB in size. Gotta get a .MBOX viewer now.
I'd be interested to know (in generalities) what they know about you...

LunarMist

So you have to create an account to find out what they know about you? Isn't that giving them the info?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
So you have to create an account to find out what they know about you? Isn't that giving them the info?

If you have a gmail acct just log into that, then go to my link above. If you never had any Google accounts they won't have anything stored in your accounts because you never had an account. I don't think the archive contains "anonymous" data about you, just info you have given/received from Google? Not sure really?

I don't have a way to view the .MBOX file yet so don't know exactly what's in there. I'm thinking it's every email I ever received/sent via Gmail. Ever.

LunarMist

If you have a gmail acct just log into that, then go to my link above. If you never had any Google accounts they won't have anything stored in your accounts because you never had an account. I don't think the archive contains "anonymous" data about you, just info you have given/received from Google? Not sure really?

I don't have a way to view the .MBOX file yet so don't know exactly what's in there. I'm thinking it's every email I ever received/sent via Gmail. Ever.

Oh, I'll have to find my Androids. I think there is an account there. Is there a way to send emails from that or does only receive?