Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
I suspect it's a spammer that made it through. I'll have to work on some permissions and rules for new registrations. There are a bunch of other spam-mitigation components working behind the scenes with this forum software but it's still possible for some to get through.

Stereodude

Not really a
I suspect it's a spammer that made it through. I'll have to work on some permissions and rules for new registrations. There are a bunch of other spam-mitigation components working behind the scenes with this forum software but it's still possible for some to get through.
But we know you will crush them, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!

Handruin

Administrator
We'll get there. The permissions philosophy in this forum are different from vbulletin and everywhere I read for help says I need to forget the methods I used for vbulletin and adopt their ways. The basic difference being you add users to multiple sub groups to grant permissions in an additive way versus moving the user entirely to a single group that contains all the permissions. This supposedly allows for a better way to stack permissions as needed.

Handruin

Administrator
That sucks; I hope you feel better soon. I am on the tail end of a head/chest cold and can't wait to be done with this.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Yesterday was pretty good, daughters 9th birthday... Took the day off work to spend with her (and the rest of the family), went and saw "How to train your dragon 3" at the cinema, and had a sushi banquet for lunch after the movie... and she played with all her new toys in the afternoon...

Today, back at work... :unsure:

Handruin

Administrator
Yesterday was pretty good, daughters 9th birthday... Took the day off work to spend with her (and the rest of the family), went and saw "How to train your dragon 3" at the cinema, and had a sushi banquet for lunch after the movie... and she played with all her new toys in the afternoon...

Today, back at work... :unsure:

You and your daughter might like the new Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. I saw it a couple weeks ago and I thought it was great.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I just log in normally, without using the XenForo. Is that used for better security?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd be interested to know (in generalities) what they know about you...

Google knows everything that's in my emails, which is pretty much EVERYTHING to know about me. I buy something from an online retailer and the retailer sends me a confirmation email with my name, address, phone#, CC info, etc. After a few dozen such emails they know everything about me.
Download everything Google has saved about you.

https://takeout.google.com/

I finally got around to viewing the .MBOX files from my two Gmail accounts. The files are called "All mail Including Spam and Trash.mbox," but there are very, very few actual SPAM emails in the archive. There are only about 600 emails in one of the archive as well. I created this account in 2005, but there are only 7 emails for all of 2005. Only about 50 for 2006. Some months only have one email. Other months have many. I don't really know the "who, what, where, when, why or how" emails were selected/saved by Google. Maybe a random sampling of INBOX items. Or items that have been in INBOX for X number of hours/days? Perhaps the contents of the emails themselves trigger some "save/archive this email" function. Who knows? The .MBOX file also contains all the attachments contained in the emails, with a size range from 1 to 30,000k each.

It's a lot less email then I thought there would be. It would have been really interesting if it was every email ever sent/received. I'd rather have all the email without attachments then just a small percentage of emails with attachments. Oh well. It was, however, kind of cool to see the first email I received from Gmail, (username removed):

"Congratulations on creating your brand new Gmail account at
{username}@gmail.com. Please keep this email for your records.

You can login to your account at http://gmail.google.com/

Enjoy!

The Gmail Team"

... The second account I looked at didn't contain the "Welcome to Gmail" email. Again it's an interesting stroll down memory lane via email but with so many emails missing the archive itself is less useful than it could have been.

Last edited:

LunarMist

How many emails do you have altogether ;can you calculate a percentage?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Edit: Somehow I miscounted the number of emails in the archive. It's actually a bit over 4000 emails on the primary account and about 1400 on the secondary account.

There are only about 600 emails in one of the archive as well. I created this account in 2005, but there are only 7 emails for all of 2005. Only about 50 for 2006. Some months only have one email. Other months have many.

Handruin

Administrator
Conversations are what they call email. They are grouped together in a threaded conversation.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I Googled it earlier. I think it's something about a dog show.

LunarMist

https://rockfordtoday.com/dog-drama-at-westminster-schipperke-ruled-out-for-top-prize/

I suppose there are not a lot of dog people here, but this cluster even made the news.
I was watching and suddenly the Schipperke was excused from the best of show judging. I thought it had taken a dump or attacked another dog or something physical to break the rules while I turned away for a few seconds. The point is that the dog already won best of the nonsporting group the day before (not Day 2), so they should have replaced Peter Green due to his conflict of interest. Of course he is an institution in judging and showing, etc., but more like a fossil at this point. That was a really nice Schipperke and sad to not even be judged in the BOS. :( The terrier was very good, but they win so frequently.

Handruin

Administrator
If you wanted to talk about the scam and drama around the Fyre festival, that is something I just learned about.

Handruin

Administrator
Yet another day, yet another security breach...

https://support.500px.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017752493-Security-Issue-February-2019-FAQ

Is it time to give up on the 'net?

No, we shouldn't give up, but time to give up hopes of privacy and the use of a password as a means of restricting or securing account access.

Sad that they don't articulate in their information that the cryptographic passwords were salted in their database. That's a bit amateur if they don't do this.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The Australian Government has setup "My Health Record" in which all your personal medical records are stored in a central DB/service and can be accessed by medical practitioners as needed...

In the short time it's been operational, at least 99 (reported) breaches have occurred... It appears the access controls in use are very limited, and all it may take is some small medical office in a small country town (who most likely won't be following best practice in regards to infosec) to be 0wned, for the entire DB to be siphoned off...

Imagine what some company would be willing to pay for an entire country population medical history!

Thankfully the service is opt out... (for now)