Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Real sick. Had a sinus infection all last week. Went to doctor. Now I have the flu and a sinus infection. Never leaving house again.
How fever do I have to be to go to hospital?

106 F isn't very good. I'd say that warrants a doctors trip. Try some advil. That worked for me a week ago when I had a fever and chills. DayQuill did nothing for me.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Someone famous - a Nobel Laureate in physics or something of that general nature - apparently said, 20 or 30 years ago, "In the future, your computer will be as easy to use as your telephone".

Recently, he bought a new mobile phone and said, "Well, I was right. I no longer know how to use a telephone".

paugie

Storage is cool
I use a Nokia 1100 mobile phone. It cost me 3,100 pesos (divide by 54 to get it in USD. OK it was USD57) 5 months ago it was a Nokia 3350. Sold that for P1500 to upgrade to this one.

Only reason for upgrading was to have the "sent" messages which wasn't in the previous phone.

The Philippines is supposedly the "texting" capital of the world. And sometimes I get a delayed reply and I'd have forgotten what the guy was replying to (yes, the age again) so the "sent" messages are handy

Don't have a hankering for camera phones or colored displays at all. But I drool for X2s and large hard disks even if I can't afford them.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Now here's a large picture for you, Greg.

Note that it is so large -- 6200 x 6200 pixels -- that I've just linked to the warning page.

I didn't even bother to try and download and display it. I think my computer would whimper and die.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Where's the Andromeda galaxy in that picture? Is it the big yellow spiral in the lower-right corner? It must be one of the bigest spirals in that picture because it's a galaxy twice the size of the milky way and it's our closest neighbor.

ddrueding

Fixture
That sure is a pretty picture. Just for grins I opened it on my old laptop. It's an XP-M 1600+ with 384MB running XP Pro SP2 and I opened it in Photoshop CS2. Glutton for punishment.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie

Sol

Storage is cool
Maybe they decided it simply wasn't a problem as traffic congestion means drivers will rarely get up to 30mph anyway...

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Someone sent me this link yesterday and I've had the damn "lyrics" stuck in my head all afternoon. Just thought I'd share the pain.

Anyone looked through some of Google's other free videos? There is some extremely weird stuff in there. I went looking again today after reading news about their impending paid content service. None of the news articles seemed to provide the date as to when it's supposed to happen exactly, just that it's in the works.

Handruin

Administrator
Google does have a weird selection of videos. The family Guy clip was a hoot.

How about this one for the next random topic:

wanted.jpg

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Randomized random videos:

As soon as you select a video, I suggest going to the bottom right corner of the video display and choosing the option for "original size". It will save your selection for the subsequent videos. The playback initially defaults to "fit to window" which makes everything look way too blurry.

[1:38] Not-so-graceful cat moments. Also some incredible cat moments.

[3:22] 1970's music video dubbed over with a Madonna song. Scary ... it's actually kind of well done.

[0:25] Video of a cup-stacking competition. Does anyone know if this is for real or not? I'm having a hard time buying it.

[3:24] A group of fighter pilots assemble their own flight footage into a bizarre, arabic-sounding, Knight-Rider-esque music video. The low-level flight footage is impressive, but I can't imagine this was officially sanctioned.

[3:23] A 747 blows a couple of cars away. I can't believe Virgin Airlines agreed to do this.

[5:18] At least the kid is wearing hearing protection. Oklahoma. All I have to say is ... all that firepower, and they kept missing the car!

[0:15] Tom Cruise vs. Oprah. Priceless!

[0:16] Faint, ghostly apparition appears during the filming of a car commercial. It's a fleeting effect so be sure to watch closely or you'll miss it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
How about this one for the next random topic:

:eek:

Either the picture or the text alone would've been enough, but combined ... yup, that definitely qualifies as random. :)

Handruin

Administrator
Holy crap. That girl and the cup stacking...

Also, how does the 747 keep from moving under full throttle?

And, what's up with the little kid and a machine gun.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:

Good brakes? I wondered about that myself.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
The brakes can easily hold the plane even under full throttle. As a matter of course airliners use the brakes to hold the plane as they spin up the engines before takeoff. I only flew once in my life and noticed this right away. Once the engines are up to speed (maximum thrust), they release the brakes, you then get pushed back into your seat, turn white, vomit, faint, etc. :eek: Seriously though, it's very important to have this capability so as to be able to take off from shorter runways like LaGuardia.

ddrueding

Fixture
Meh, it's fine....after stripping the keyboard and ram and running a hairdryer over it, it booted right back up with a fully functional keyboard.

ddrueding

Fixture
jtr1962 said:
Handruin said:
The brakes can easily hold the plane even under full throttle. As a matter of course airliners use the brakes to hold the plane as they spin up the engines before takeoff. I only flew once in my life and noticed this right away. Once the engines are up to speed (maximum thrust), they release the brakes, you then get pushed back into your seat, turn white, vomit, faint, etc. :eek: Seriously though, it's very important to have this capability so as to be able to take off from shorter runways like LaGuardia.

My favorite takeoff so far was on the run to China. Fully loaded 747-400 out of SFO; he's taxiing fast and doesn't stop at the ramp. He just makes a hard turn onto the runway and goes full-throttle. Very nice and fast. I wonder if traffic control told him to hurry up or if he was trying to save fuel.

Handruin

Administrator
That's seriously intense that he 747's brakes (and tires) can hold 57,000lb's x4 of thrust. They did say in that video that after 20 seconds, the runway would melt...that's crazy.

You're right though, it makes sense to wind up the engines and then release the breaks making it like a sling shot into the air. I just can't believe the plane has enough weight and brake power to keep from moving.

Handruin

Administrator
Holy crap. Kudos to the folks who make the landing gear...it just proved to be the most valuable asset to that pilot. Have another buddy :drinka:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Couldn't get the first one to load. Sometimes I run into limitations with the gxine Linux plugin's ability to handle .WMV files.

The second one looked like a close call. The way the plane was coming in at the very end there I was relieved to see the pilot made the decision to abort the landing (and that he or she then managed to do so safely).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
That was funny! And really well done too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Any Trekkies here?
Any Old School Trekkies?

These folks are working with real writers from Star Trek (the original series) and makeup and effects people from other Trek series, to make a new season of Star Trek (original series) episodes.

The_Giver

What is this storage?
ddrueding said:
My girlfriend's Powerbook G4 just took a cup of coffee to the keyboard...we'll see what I can do for it.

[...]

Meh, it's fine....after stripping the keyboard and ram and running a hairdryer over it, it booted right back up with a fully functional keyboard.
Let's hope you've put the whole to the dish washer before drying it. Dried coffee makes sticky keyboards and unhappy girlfriends.