Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My parents' receiver crapped out today while we were in the middle of a post-feast Battlestar Galactica marathon.

It was a S*ny, so I am in no way surprised.

My car was the one on the end of the driveway, so I was given a huge wad of cash and told not to return without the audio product of my choosing.

Circuit City. 2PM.
The outside of the store was COVERED with garbage from the people who started lining up at 3:30(!!!!). I couldn't even park in the Circuit City lot. I had to park about two city blocks away at Home Depot.

Inside the store, I was told that the wait in line to buy something was approaching three hours long. It took me five minutes to find what I wanted... and then I saw *THE LINE* to actually buy.

Then I remembered how Circuit City works: You buy and then you have to wait for them to bring it out to you.

But, ah! You can order online. And I have a laptop in my car.

I got out of line, walked out to the parking lot, got the laptop, walked in the store, found a wireless signal, ordered my receiver, and held up the laptop for my "proof of sale". I had my receiver in 10 minutes (most of that explaining that since I had actually ordered *on that computer*, I didn't need to print out a piece of paper showing what I had ordered).

I waved to the people I was standing next to when I was one of the idiots in the line than if I had waited three hours to buy it.

The other hilarious thing? The thing I ordered was about $150 cheaper in their online store.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Merc,

What did the cat do with your eyeglasses? I assume you found them eventually.

Mercutio

Eventually my ex's partner came and found them for me. They were behind my home theater setup.
Which means they went from my bedroom, down a hallway, into my dining room and then into my living room.
The whole time, I was just searching my bedroom, but since I had no glasses at all, I was having to do it by touch - I REALLY can't see without them.

Of course, she came over and found my glasses after maybe 10 minutes of looking. Sob.

--

My ex is getting boobs for christmas. She had a mastectomy this spring. I saw her and her partner tonight and I had the extremely surreal experience of arguing the merits of styles, sizes and procedures She had samples. Breast implant samples are very possibly the coolest thing ever, next to actual breasts. But still, it was weird to be sitting in a restaurant with all these different boobs out on the table and talking about it.

LunarMist

Hrm. I guess you could get an extra pair and secure them in a easy-to-feel location for future emergencies. I'm lucky enough to only need the reading glasses for up close work.

LunarMist

I was laughing very hard for quite some time at this...thanks ;)

D'OH! It is funny, but I really was not thinking about the implants. Or rather I was thinking that is was odd to wip out the implants in the middle of a restaurant.

ddrueding

Fixture
Didn't you just move into a new apartment?

I've moved 3 times in the last 30 days. I moved out of my EX-GF's into a temporary place, from the temp place into a potentially permanant roomate situation with some friends, and now into a 1-bedroom apartment with a new GF. Ideally this will last longer, as it's a 1-year lease.

LunarMist

Why do I suspect that you have a broken a lease or two here and there? ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually, I never have. In the past, I've lived with friends or girlfriends. This is the first actual contract with my name on it since 1999.

Mercutio

I asked the young woman I mentioned in this post to help me make a better profile for the personal site I belong to.
She wrote many pages of comments about things I had written. She said lots of kind and confidence-inspiring things about me.

Plus, I communicated with a girl for more than the amount of time it takes to get an order at a fast food place.

Those of you who do not understand why this is worthy of a post clearly do not understand just how pathetic my life is.

ddrueding

Fixture
Congrats Merc! I think one of the advantages is that there are starting to be women in the uber-geek world. Before, if you were this nerdy, there were no girls for miles. Now, it seems to me, they are on the horizon. I've found that one of the biggest problems with getting a girl's attention is the compromise between being a dark horse and a sound bite. They need to stereotype you at first to feel comfortable around you; to know what to expect. Then once they're comfortable, they want to realize that there is more to you than they thought. I think the concepts that you are geeky yet well rounded, self-deprecating yet sensitive, are causing them to not understand you.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't know of many in our age range, but there are quite a few available for the next generation. At the gaming center I'm used to seeing girls in the 11-15 range playing WOW or CS and doing their MySpace thing, but before these girls would evaporate at the prospect of college, football players, or drunk parties. Now, I'm noticing more and more of them are staying through this test of their geekdom, and continuing to game with their geek boyfriends into their early 20s. I haven't seen any survive the transition into a full-time job (quite a test for any geek), but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Too late for us I'm afraid, but I think it will get better.

As a side note, I do know one older geek-girl. Early forties, my dance instructor and old roomate; a laser physicist by profession. She's able to geek with the best of them.

Mercutio

Leprechauns, Unicorns and Geek Girls. I'm telling you. You're as likely to meet any of the things on that list.

Actually, I do know Geek Girls.
They all also like girls.

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually, I do know Geek Girls.
They all also like girls.

Actually, I have to go with you on this one. Being a geek tends to be uncool. Being gay tends to be uncool. Therefore gay people seem to be less concerned about being uncool. Therefore gay people are more comfortable being geeks (or other niche personality types).

Mercutio

The other frustration I have at the moment with looking at that personals site is that that 80%+ of the bi-girls are only looking for women, which doesn't do the common stereotype of that sexual preference any favors. :(

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance

To make it brief, I've been outta town for a few weeks until today. Anyway, I'm reading through the newz and I'm trying to figure out this crapola with the comedian named Michael Richards (from TV show "Seinfeld" -- of which I never saw a single episode, just less-than-ten-second blips as I changed the channel).

I pretty much got the gist of what happened and most of the gory details, except, I cannot figure out if the 2 hecklers at the comedy club ever got into trouble or what the hell they were heckling Michael Richards about in the first place. I have not been able to find anything about this part of "Kramer's" PR mega-disaster.

Also, it looks like the '72 Miami Dolphins' record is once again safe for yet another year. <chuckle>

ehhh... otherwise, sorry about bringing up yesterday's stinky laundry. :erm:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Blast from the past:

Does anyone know if you can stick a 100MHz FSB Slot 1 Pentium II into a motherboard that's expecting a 66MHz FSB Slot 1 Pentium II and come out with some kind of normal functionality (albeit in an ancient sort of way)?

Mercutio

Some asshole dumped a housecat at my apartment complex. I think I saw the responsible party doing it this morning on my way to work. It's an older kitten. White fur, walks up to strange and purrs. Declawed.

I can't have another cat in my apartment, but I'll be damned if I let it stay outside all night.

Fucking people. Can't accept responsibility for an animal but they can have all the disgusting little babies they want to make.