Sony DRU510 Buffer problem

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Ok, I'm having a problem with what I believe is my drive. The buffer never stays at 100%, moves up/down up/down constantly, and it's taking about 40 minutes to burn a DVD, when it usually takes 16

Any suggestions?

Handruin

Administrator
Is it with a specific DVD, and also, are you copying the disc on the fly? My guess is that if you are copying on the fly that maybe your drive is having trouble reading from the source disc, and your constantly hitting the burn-proof feature.

BooST

I'm using Ritek 4x media, I've tried both on-the-fly and after copying to the hard drive, I put it on a RAID-5 array, moved it to a 80GB IDE, still the same problem

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You might fire up Performance monitor and look at what the CPU counter for % Interrupt Time is doing. It should. I show it at around 40% while the PC I'm sitting at is burning a CD with Nero.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
...That's on a LiteOn CD Burner. Using Nero. With Smart-Burn on.
Also, try turning Smart-Burn (or whatever the DVD equivalent is) off.

% Interrupt Time should normally be 0 - 2% on a generally idle PC, BTW.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you tried using RecordNow instead of Nero? Should be on the software disc for the Sony (at least my 500A had it). I find I get much more reliable burning speeds with RN as opposed to Nero.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a DRU510 and havn't run into this problem. Please list CPU motherboard and other IDE devices. Is the burner sharing a cable with something else that is in use?

There is a utility on SONY's website that enables faster operation in reading disks for this drive too.. although that is not your problem. While you are there maybe you want to grab the latest firmware also.

BooST

CPU : P4 3.06 Hyperthreading 533FSB
Mobo : Tyan Trinity S2707 GC-SL
Device is sharing a cable w/ a DVD-ROM, other IDE channel is occupied by a single 80GB drive

ddrueding

Fixture
Just like to chime in that my DRU-510A doesn't have this probem, either. You might also want to make sure that only one drive is set to maser (and the other slave) on that cable.

And of course the important technical questions:

Did this work properly at one point?
If so, what has changed since then.

BooST

Yes, worked properly ; The only thing I can think of that changed is the motherboard/processor, from an 875P Gigabyte 8KNXP to The Tyan S2707, proc from 2.6/800 HT to 3.06/533 HT

ddrueding

Fixture
BooST said:
Yes, worked properly ; The only thing I can think of that changed is the motherboard/processor, from an 875P Gigabyte 8KNXP to The Tyan S2707, proc from 2.6/800 HT to 3.06/533 HT

Considering this involves the replcement of the motherboard, therefore the chipset, therefore the IDE drivers; I'd make sure that you have the latest drivers installed.

Did you do a re-install of the OS when you switched? Or did you replace the hardware and let the OS detect the new devices?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
IIRC some of the GC chipsets had some issues with the IDE performance.

Have you tried RecordNow yet?

BooST

Going to try recordnow shortly, been working 12hr days

Yes, I'm using the gigabit interface, it is turned on, the other network connection is disabled, and no, it doesn't really need to be on, I'll disable smartburn and see what happens.

I did an XP Pro repair install when I switched out the hardware[/b]