problem Spam at the office

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I am so sick of spam at work. :puke-l: Most of the spam is devised to sell IT services, though a few are for drugs or male sexual "improvements." The spammers know my name. Why do they think I work in the computer world? :bstd:

LunarMist

On a 1600-pixel-wide monitor it looks like the one icon is puking downwards on the other. :mrgrn: It was an accident, really.

Sol

Storage is cool
You must run a very small font size. I'm 1920 wide and they have a whole line of text between them.

Maybe it's you who has a large font size... I'm at 1440 wide with everything at Ubuntu default and I get the little guy puking on the the last "the" (Or actually the word computer as I type this...) so 1600 sounds about right for a direct hit. On the other hand maybe you're just reading more in to Lunar's post than I am...

But back on the original topic I resent the implication that people who work in the computer world need/want drugs or male sexual "improvements."

LunarMist

But back on the original topic I resent the implication that people who work in the computer world need/want drugs or male sexual "improvements."

The women sure don't. :flower:

LunarMist

I am a middle aged man - no secrets there.

The point is that women who work in IT (or not) don't need/want drugs or male sexual "improvements" either, but they often receive the same spam.

LunarMist

How effective is it supposed to be? I know they can't stop the sales pitches.

Last edited:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I get a spam mail at the office maybe twice a year using google postini, I am very impressed. I don't know that I have ever gotten a false positive from them either.

http://www.google.com/postini/index.html

My personal account doesn't have any protection but I don't get much spam in it either because it has a strange ending with fastmail.us. I think most of the bots don't even recognize that is an email.

ddrueding

Fixture
The very fact that there is a policy about not talking about corporate (or that there is a 'corporate') means that you work for a large, slow-moving company. It also means that they should be able to handle something in addition to their "main challenge" without becoming overwhelmed. ;)