Speeding up Acrobat Reader

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Please remember that you don't get access to those plugin's fuctionalities if they are not loaded....

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yep. I did forget to mention that. However, my needs with Acrobat are rather trivial, and that inquirer "fix" does the trick for me.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Well, I hate to break it to everyone here, but doing this trick with the Plug-Ins folder is hardly anything new. In fact, it's a more-than-a-decade-old trick for troubleshooting Photoshop.

Make a folder named "Disabled Plug-Ins" and copy certain plug-ins... blah blah blah...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Without knowing this though, whose to know? I generally associate pluggins as something that I add to a program, not something that is added by default. It would have been nice if Adobe allowed you to choose the pluggins at install (maybe they do, and maybe I missed it or wasn't grasping what they were offering?).

Also, I counted 21 xxxx.api files in the pluggin folder. It appears that several of them have dependencies, as removing them on an individual basis may end up with Acrobat crashing -- definitely not conducive for the end user to tailor Acrobat to their liking. In fact, without specific knowledge of what api's can be removed without causing a crash, it is easy for the end user to assume that these are required by the program to function properly.

Computer Generated Baby

blakerwry said:
That's adobe for you. They cater to mac users 1st and foremost. Which leaves windows users often asking for more in several areas.

But, then there's Adobe Premiere Pro (a.k.a. Premiere 7.0); no Macintosh version planned.

mangyDOG

Instead of mucking around removing (and re-adding) plugins for Acrobat reader why not just use the basic version as opposed to the full version of reader. The basic versions opens up in <5secs on an old P2-400 with 4Gb drive, not to bad. I admit you are still stuffed if you are using the full Acrobat program, but that is what insanely fast computers are for...wasting CPU cycles on processing badly written software :wink:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
There's a basic version!?

valeri.jpg

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Just d/l'ed the basic. Will try tomorrow evening...too tired now.