SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's been that way since Friday afternoon. I guess some stability has been reached for now.

LunarMist

I've lost interest in the Intel G2 at this point. I reconfigured some drives. XP32 is actually booting off of a 7GB partition at the front of a 1001FALS, with page file on the same X25-E as the XP64 used primarily.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
LOL, 80GG is too little; I'd wait for the 320GB if I was interested in Intel.

Right now I'd go for Vertex Turbo with new firmware in 256/250GB size (give performance is similar, better writes, etc compared to 2 gen Intel HH gives the 'editors choice' to, even if the cost/GB is higher).

http://hothardware.com/Articles/4Way-SSD-RoundUp-Redux-OCZ-Corsair-PhotoFast/

Do you ever buy anything?

So far as I can tell, from DSLRs to SSDs, nothing is capable of doing the job for you.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
If you don't insist that newegg is your supplier --

Techonweb
(although I hadn't been looking very hard) that is the first supplier I've seen list the 1.8" model -- which, they have posted, will be shipping in 2-3 wks.

A brief note regarding the 1.8" Intel drives:
* they use the micro SATA power and data connectors
* they are true 3.3V devices (unlike the still 5V 2.5" models) so your PSU need provide true SATA power cables (5 wires; the 5th wire, the 3.3V llne, is typicaly oranage), else you need to get a voltage converter
* you can actually fairly easily source the necessary converters (power and data) to install this form factor in a system outside of a laptop designed to take this form factor.

LunarMist

Do you ever buy anything?

So far as I can tell, from DSLRs to SSDs, nothing is capable of doing the job for you.

I just figured Uda didn't want/couldn't afford to spend money for anything decent.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I just figured Uda didn't want/couldn't afford to spend money for anything decent.

Sheesh, and you can't even afford a friggin Leica S2 system> pot-kettle-black!

http://leicarumors.com/

decent is in the eye of the beholder. If the Canon 90is had HD 720 (next year) I would by it yesterday. Waiting for the reviews on the 90is. No, it's not what I consider 'decent' but *no* one makes anything I consider decent...get back to me in 5+yrs, and I'll give you a thumbs up on both compact digicams and SSD's. Right now, they all suck :D

I will assume LM has already taken the 'decent' $5k course from

http://www.kenrockwell.com/workshop.htm

Jay is among the the best of the world's best photographers. Jay is a living legend, having been an internationally recognized icon since as I recall the 1950s, and he's still going like gangbusters today.​
Like most of the world's best photographers, his formal degree is in painting, having studied under Josef Albers at Yale.

I've admired Jay's work for decades, and I learned more from sitting in on a 20-minute talk about what really matters in photography than I learned in many years of reading books, websites and magazines.​
God only knows how much you'd learn taking one of his 5 full day workshops.

Jay doesn't waste your time with irrelevant nonsense like Photoshop: Jay teaches you how to look, how to see and how to evaluate your work so you can improve continuously. You'll shoot digital in these workshops, but that's so everyone can see what you're doing while you do it. You'll be learning to take great pictures, not twiddle with software. Check out his workshops! Tell them I sent you.​
To quote Jay: "The more equipment you take, the fewer pictures you'll take."
My hero Ken R. just got back from nature tour of Point Reyes using his PnS Canon, what is 'decent'?

I'm back from Point Reyes, and may even have gotten a couple of good shots. As I unpack, I'll let you know.​
I shot with the brand-new Canon SD980 pocket camera, with its 24-120mm equivalent lens, and the results are looking spectacular here as I transfer them this morning.​
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

I had some $56/oz tea a few weeks ago, pretty decent, but like SSD's *way* over-priced for what you get.

Was in Fry's a few weeks ago, every god damned dSLR I picked up had absurdly poor egonomics, as afar as those idiotic hand grips. Friggin poke the living daylights out of my fingers. Only the smaller Oly dSLR, with it's minimal handgrip, was *marginally* comfortable to hold up, one handed. Man they *all* suck, especially the larger dSLR's Canon 5D MkII and up, Nikon d90 and up. The entry level dSLR's are nowhere even close to wide enough, nor thin enough---what do they design those for, 6yr old children's hands? When is some brilliant Oly engineer going to put an AF, dSLR sensor full-frame into an Oly OM-1/OM-2 like body?

supposedly we'll get such a sensor in a Leica body (M9/X1) soon, but it will cost as much as an economy car...friggin absurd!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

[SIZE=+1]NEW:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] Leica M9.[/SIZE] Quite likely the most important digital camera ever created for the creative travel, nature and landscape photographer.
The M9 should offer the highest quality obtainable in digital capture due to its superior optics, and when one considers that it is smaller and lighter than any other full-frame digital camera, the choice is obvious for those who deserve the best.​
^well then, I expect Gilbo, e_dawg, Tannin, and LM to be placing their orders for this ASAP, correct?

Oh yeah, I deserve the best, just not until the price drops below $1k, lol. We're the dSLR version of the Oly OM-1, damn it!

Mean while, I'm focused on buying last year's discontinued Montrail trail running shoes, after I get a good price on a custom molded orthotic. All for < than the price of this year's current Montrail Hardrock trail running shoe...SD couldn't do better on e-bay, lol.

Can't take pictures if my friggin feet/knee joints hurt too much. Besides the hillsides are still shrouded in smoke from the forest fires. That and LA's public transportation systems sucks donkey balls (so do all public trans btw). Just dont' have time for the less important things in life :D.

other than hot-arse Asian women:

http://www.japansubculture.com/2008...gh-paying-job-in-japans-sex-industry/#more-24

<edit, wrong link :p>

http://420hookups.com/2009/i-want-to-fuck-right-now-w4m-south-of-fresno-22yr/

^heh, why were there none like that when I was in college??? :(

LunarMist

It's not worth a crap in Vista, at least not the Robinson type.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd really like to know more about this:

"They're able to claim some pretty solid performance numbers on read and writes and they're also able to claim unlimited program and erase [write/erase] cycles," said Joseph Unsworth, research director for NAND flash semi-conductors at Gartner Inc. "That's big. In an enterprise environment, that's one of the major concerns: The wear out of the SSD."

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Maybe the "unlimited" small print defines unlimited as only so long as the warranty is in effect. Not sure. In my experience, enterprise HDs have a limited service life before they are replaced regardless of whether or not they are running error-free. We replace or upgrade servers/storage subsystems every 3-4 years on most machines. That might be changing as we move more and more storage to the SANs, though.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Can I get your server people to come talk to some of my customers about their data storage? Getting preventive drive upgrades is like pulling teeth!
We used to buy servers (and desktop/laptops) with a 3 year warranty. After the warranty expires we would replace the machine. It's a simple way to ensure your equipment is always covered and a 3 year warranty isn't that expensive. We now do a 3 year warranty on non-servers but keep them for 4 years so one year w/no coverage. We now keep servers for 4 years as well but I'm not sure if we're buying 3 or 4 year warranties for those. With a global population of over 20K workstations & 1000+ servers you can imagine the savings achieved in moving from 3 to 4 years. It's also viable as modern hardware generally has a longer useful life now that we're on multi-core machines with more RAM capacity, SATA/SAS, etc.

I do have drives in my midrange systems from 2005, but they're in RAID sets and IBM keep spares in the local office; if one goes bad the replacement will be installed within about 4 hours. The midrange is an exception to the 3 or 4 year rule; we actually keep upgrading the same boxes (w/same serial numbers). As a major capital expense, this keeps the accountants and their depreciation schedules happy.

LunarMist

I've lost interest in the Intel G2 at this point. I reconfigured some drives. XP32 is actually booting off of a 7GB partition at the front of a 1001FALS, with page file on the same X25-E as the XP64 used primarily.

80GB G2 prices are still all over the place. How can they claim with a straight face that the prices are $10 off from "Original Price" when they were both $349.99 a few days ago and OEM was originally $229.99?

LunarMist

Would you trust any of those vendors to provide the current model?

Handruin

Administrator
I've ordered from mwave several years ago without issue. I just looked at reseller ratings and they have a good mark. The first comment on the list mentions the intel SSD and a positive experience.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
mwave was one of my favorite internet resellers for several years before I started shopping at Newegg. They've always been a solid vendor. The fact that I still look at their sale Emails should say something, I hope.

That really is a pretty good deal on that drive. I paid $350 - $380 apiece for my X25s.

LunarMist

Are these any good? I'm not quite sure how it works for booting, partitioning, etc. Maybe the controller is built in?

ddrueding

Fixture
Are these any good? I'm not quite sure how it works for booting, partitioning, etc. Maybe the controller is built in?

It should be very good. It will appear as it's own controller with a hard drive attached. All the really high-end stuff is going that way, as even the upcoming SATA spec isn't fast enough for these guys.

Of course, this will be stupid expensive, but I want one.

Stereodude

Not really a
You could roll your own. It's just several SSD's on a PCIe x8 (or similar) RAID card. Grab a Dell Perc 5/i, 4 60GB OCZ Vertex SSD's, RAID-0 them, and bam...

LunarMist

I'd rather have one simple device in a slot. It's nice that there are no SATA cables, power cables, etc. and HD bays are open.