SSDs - State of the Product?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You keep talking about cheap SSDs, but I really need a link or some info on where one can actually buy them in 2024 or early 2025.
It's mostly commodity drives which you likely wouldn't be interested in buying. I saw prices as low as $35/TB last year before prices started going up. For example, these are all going for $45/TB:

For a person who isn't writing much data they're probably fine. The sweet spot in terms of $/TB seems to be 2TB and 4TB right now.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's mostly commodity drives which you likely wouldn't be interested in buying. I saw prices as low as $35/TB last year before prices started going up. For example, these are all going for $45/TB:

For a person who isn't writing much data they're probably fine. The sweet spot in terms of $/TB seems to be 2TB and 4TB right now.
But you need to look at the TCO. A drive just sitting there on the table vs. being part of a system in some kind of storage pool. So it is worth paying more for larger drives to a point. No normal person would end up with such a Mickey mouse plan for 40TB of internal SSDs. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
No normal person would end up with such a Mickey mouse plan for 40TB of internal SSDs

Where are you getting 40? Standard AM5 tops out at 3x m.2s and m.2 tops out at 8TB/drive.

Sure, you can get a 4x4xPCIe to m.2 HBA if your board happens to support lane bifurcation but that's not as widely implemented as anyone would like and when it is, different OEMs are picky about which slots and how they can be divided.

LunarMist

The X670E I have with four M.2 slots on the board and also six SATA ports. I also have an old-school 8-ported Falcone SAS/SATA III RAID 0/1 controller. There are currently 3x4TB BLACK and the single 970 Pro in M.2 and 3x4TB SATA III backing it. The plan was to get the 8TB BLACK to replace the 970 Pro and then add two more 4TB SATA III (that I already have) as the secondaries for those. I'd have to mount the drives into each other so there are no more drive letters than previously. It's all a royal PITA and a cringeworthy storage design. I will revisit this plan in March 2025.

Last edited:

Mercutio

The X670E I have with four M.2 slots on the board and also six SATA ports. I also have an old-school 8-ported Falcone SAS/SATA III RAID 0/1 controller. There are currently 3x4TB BLACK and the single 970 Pro in M.2 and 3x4TB SATA III backing it. The plan was to get the 8TB BLACK to replace the 970 Pro and then add two more 4TB SATA III (that I already have) as the secondaries for those. I'd have to mount the drives into each other so there are no more drive letters than previously.

There are two beautiful things that Windows has been able to do for a very long time that most users do not know:

Windows can use Directory Symbolic Links (filesystem-level shortcuts) and also Volume Mount Points (mount an entire drive or array as a directory) to lessen the need for drive letters. Windows does not have to assign either a drive letter or volume mount point to access a drive, although not having one or the other does make your life more difficult; you can still access a drive by its GUID if you want to be that obtuse.

To make my life easy on Windows file servers, my standard is to make a folder called C:\mnt and then a volume mount point named after the drive's label, e.g. Intel8TB-02-06-24. I then mklink /d c:\share\2023images c:\mnt\Intel8TB-02-06-24\2023images.

The idea here is that I can browse the entire filesystem on each drive or volume but I can also put folders inside my shared folder structure in exactly the spot I want them, and it's relatively straightforward to rebalance what goes on which drive or array if something starts to run out of space.

Any *nix OS can do these same things.

Last edited:

LunarMist

It would be crazy to use the GUID. Every time a drive is replaced/reformatted all the programs that used various drive letters would not find the data.

Mercutio

It would be crazy to use the GUID. Every time a drive is replaced/reformatted all the programs that used various drive letters would not find the data.

Yup.
I noticed ages ago that drives reserved for Windows Backup have a GUID but no other assignment and I've done it a couple other times to hide things from end users in the habit of messing up their PCs.