''State Of The Art'' CPU Cooling (Circa Dec 2003)

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
NRG = mc² said:
Yes you are paranoid...

40C is just above human body temperature. I used to run mine more like 65C for over 18 months, painful to touch the heatsink but it never crashed or caused problems. The CPU (an XP1800 Palo) is running happily in a friends machine now.

With the depreciation of CPUs and prices of AMD CPUs, temperature is nothing worth worrying about as long as its below 75. Ask Prof. wizard who used to run his 1.2 T-bird at 80C during summer :)
If the computer crashes under heavy load often, with high temps, I'd be refining the CPU/case cooling. Or clean the dust accumulations... :D

AFAIK, both AMD and Intel use same HSF combos for their entire lines. If they say it's sufficient, then it is. It's completely different situation if You are not pleased with the noise levels though...

Cheers,

Jan

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
AMD CPUs are rated for 95C. I have no problem running them at anything up to 65C. The cooler the better, of course, but I'm not sweating the details if the CPU runs 65C or less; that's way below the thermal threshold.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
For my next cooling project, I want to use a squirrel cage fan -- POWERED BY A REAL SQUIRREL ! :eek:

ddrueding

Fixture
Fushigi said:
AMD CPUs are rated for 95C. I have no problem running them at anything up to 65C. The cooler the better, of course, but I'm not sweating the details if the CPU runs 65C or less; that's way below the thermal threshold.

I've never even tried running a CPU that hot (intentionally). There were a few "fanless" situations where it was exceeded, but that was short-term. I might have to tone-down my fans even more just to see if they're still stable at my current voltage and clockspeed.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, you mean C...It's been a while since I've got a CPU to operate @ 75F (486DX2-66MHz, cold to the touch while operating IIRC)