Streaming live camera video to a large audience?

ddrueding

Fixture
One of my clients operates a horse stable. We are coming into foaling season, and last year I set up an IP security camera so she could keep an eye out. It was just a simple AXIS IP security camera with audio and I gave her the IP address. Some of her friends voiced interest in seeing the video. Apparently it became more popular than anyone anticipated, and the last entry on the log file before it died suggested 300+ users. The popularity is good PR, so rather than limit the number of viewers I want to reinforce the system.

The camera is the same AXIS IP unit connected via a decent internet connection. Ideally I'd find a service that can pull the feed from the camera and re-host it. Due to the uncertain timing it would need to be able to run continuously for several weeks.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Try Wowza. The place I used to work early last year had a software interactive platform that used Wowza and ran it from AWS instances. You don't need interactivity, so you don't need their (still in alpha stage) product, but the media streaming from Wowza could be enough for you.

ddrueding

Fixture
Try Wowza. The place I used to work early last year had a software interactive platform that used Wowza and ran it from AWS instances. You don't need interactivity, so you don't need their (still in alpha stage) product, but the media streaming from Wowza could be enough for you.

I appreciate the tip. I was hoping to get the video onto YouTube as a live stream, and Wowza seems to have issues with that from an AXIS camera. Getting Wowza, setting it up on an AWS instance, and then distributing the link can be done, but I'm going to search a bit more for an easier way.

Handruin

Administrator
Twitch might also be another alternative if the other one doesn't work out. It's primary focus is for live streaming video of gaming but live streaming video should be non-specific.

Handruin

Administrator
Is the video also recording somewhere or is it only a live stream?

ddrueding

Fixture
Recording in two places; a 64GB microSD card in the camera itself is recording on motion and I have the Surveillance Station add-on running on a Synology Box storing a continuous run.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
No lights in the stall? All I see is a very very bad still pic with an outline of a pregnant horse. It's like an extremely grainy digital pic. Of course there's a ~ 12 hour time difference between you and me ...

ddrueding

Fixture
No lights in the stall? All I see is a very very bad still pic with an outline of a pregnant horse. It's like an extremely grainy digital pic. Of course there's a ~ 12 hour time difference between you and me ...

Struggling badly with IR illumination. At first I thought the one I'd bought to start was simply not good enough, and spent significantly more money on a second one. Now I'm wondering whether this camera simply sucks at IR sensitivity. If this horse pops in the middle of the night and I don't have video, I will be in trouble.