Stuck in my Cube

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm stuck in my cube for the holiday weekend (in the USA). Anybody else have to work too?

Bozo :cry:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Sorry you're stuck at work.

While working in the yard about an hour ago, work called me to fix something. I just took care of it. I also pretty much always keep up with work email over the weekend (and at night) via my Treo.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got a call from my weekday job on Friday. My boss had a server built and installed at a client site - didn't tell me anything about it. Guess what? Her "server" (nforce2, XP2500 in a ricer case with a for-crap PSU) doesn't work - it crashes every 20 minutes. I visited their site once, to do a registry restore and make their system work, but no one there bothered to communicate the fact that it crashes fairly frequently, and therefore I walked out thinking I was done.

So while I was at another job site, on my own time, I had to talk to these other people, who were screaming at me and DEMANDING that I drive 50 miles to fix their machine that very same day ("Uh, we don't have any other parts for that...") while I was at another job site, on my own time (I just want to make that clear).

So I told them I'd try to get out there Tuesday with something that doesn't crash constantly. And it's fucked up my whole weekend, because I know I don't have anything I can replace that machine with "on hand" - I'll probably have to give them one of my personal machines, and I'm going to be walking into a snakepit of people who are hostile to my company, and me by extension, first thing Tuesday morning.

Mercutio

I mean, really, if a technician says "Is there anything else wrong with your computer?", isn't that usually an invitation to respond with the litany of problems one has with one's PC?

When I asked them on the phone the contact said "I thought that was the problem you were fixing."

I hate people.

I *do* work most weekends though. I like extra money. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I sure wouldn't put my personal hardware in the field for my company. Is it your business or something?

Mercutio

No.

There are just things I don't want to deal with, and frankly something like this is *really* high on the list, since I'm the party in the middle with no idea what's going on. I slap a new PC in place, and make someone pay me for it. Much less hassle.

To top it off, my boss sent me an email a little while ago, asking if what they need is a "bigger" server. Lucky me, I wouldn't be surprised if she means physically larger. The PC is a 512MB, XP2500 on a Gigabyte nforce2 board with a geforce4 of some kind (proof positive that I had nothing to do with it!) and an ATop 300W PSU. The case has a clear side and a bunch of stupid LEDs on it, which is just what every Proliant and PowerEdge is sportin' this year. It's running 2000 Server and usually has 2 TS sessions (yup, peons log in as Admin) each running some kind of Access application. It shares some files, too.

In other words, a P2-400 could more than adequately handle their needs. Unless those lights are required by their application somehow. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
Just got home from work...4AM. I'll be working tomorrow as well, starting at 10AM...30 mins. away.

LOL....Merc. Use an ASUS mobo instead of a gigabyte and an Antec rackmount chassis and 350W PSU and I've built quite a few servers like that. Including TS and SQL stuff.

I did, of course, have RAID-1/10 arrays and 1GB of RAM...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, at least I'm not alone.....worldwide anyway.
I've been working on a small file sever (store and forward) with a loud screeching noise comming from inside the case. (Intel D845 MB, P4-1.6GHz, 1M ram, 2-18GB Cheetas in RAID 1) Started disconnecting fans and still had the noise. Then it seemed that the noise changed pitch whenever the hard drives were accesssed. Disconnected the hard drives and still had the noise. Then I changed the power supply; no help. Last thing to try was the CPU heat sink and fan....still had the noise. So I'm sitting here with just the power supply and motherboard/cpu running and still have this screaching noise. I even disconnected the floppy and CD.
Totally baffled I took a long screw driver and placed the handle against my ear and started to probe around inside the case with the blade. (Don't try this at home, if you short something out.......)
Finally!!! The noise is comming from the pissy little fan on the video card that you can't see and I forgot about. :oops:
I'll make a note of this problem as we have 13 of these servers in the plant.

Bozo :mrgrn:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why is there a fan on a vid card in a server?

I always go fo fanless models for 24/7 machines that are expected to "just run". Onboard if I can... Those 40mm fans die within a year usually.. if they make it 2 years I'm lucky.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
At the time these servers were spec'd out, Intel didn't have a MB with video and meet our other requirements. These were the cheapest video cards that we could find. Radeon 7500 for $65 US. I guess we'll pay for them in the long run.

Do you think they would be okay without the fan?

Bozo :mrgrn:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
If they are the non pro variety(which I assume it is), i have seen them fanless. but if the heatsink was the kind made specificly for a fan then it might not cool well enough without the airflow.

I was pretty disappointed with a saphire ATi card I got not too long ago. it was suposed to be fanless, ended up coming with a fan :-( and within 6 months it started to die...

That was an unlucky fan...

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Bozo said:
...snip Totally baffled I took a long screw driver and placed the handle against my ear and started to probe around inside the case with the blade. (Don't try this at home, if you short something out.......)

Thats the good thing about testing on a work computer because you know that if you messed it up, it does not come out of your wallet :wink:

Cheers,
Edward

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Hmmm,
I should of checked here on Friday before the weekend. On Friday I agreed to come in Saturday around noon to make sure the Friday night code run was OK and start 5 new units which were supposed to be left on a colleagues desk. The code was messed up so I had to restart with different code Saturday afternoon. I returned a few hours later to make sure the code had started correctly and it had. Meanwhile the 5 new units had not arrived. The rest of the weekend was mine. Came in this morning to find the replacement code was broken as well, at least no one contacted me Sunday or Monday to come in and take care of it. And the 5 units magically appeared sometime after I left Saturday since my colleague left a nasty gram stating that the promised units were not here yet. If I start them today they should be ready by Thursday but the code is broken so they sit unused for now.

Free

time

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
Use an ASUS mobo instead of a gigabyte...
Only if you want to make it more unreliable. I had intermittent problems with a newish Asus board as recently as Friday. :x

... and an Antec rackmount chassis...
Why? To make it harder to cool and more expensive to locate?

...and 350W PSU...
Yep, the power supply rating is what you should focus on, no doubt about it. :p