Such thing as 4x SATA to SFF-8087 cable?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I know the opposite exists: you can buy a cable to take you from SFF-8087 to 4x SATA connectors.

I want to go the other direction. Do such cables exist? Can I just use the above cable backwards (I've never seen one. Are the connections unidirectional? I think SATA is the same at both ends?)

I want to use 4 mobo ports to connect to an SFF-8087-accepting hotswap bay. If the cable exists, anyone foresee any problems?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If I understand what you are after it would be analogous to several computers on th same scsi chain talking to one or more HDs. Don't do it.

ddrueding

Fixture
It should work just fine. If all you are trying to do it make your 4 onboard SATA channels talk to 4 ports on the hotswap array, just use the cable backwards. I may even have some spares.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Thanks Dave! Howell, the reason I was asking is that an SFF-8087 cable is just 4 SATA cables bundled together (probably with some shielding), so I figured things should be alright. It only really exists to minimize mess in servers.

Some folks at Ars Technica (where I cross-posted this) directed me towards this. Don't know how its different than using the normal cable in reverse though? It's not really any more expensive than the regular cables so I guess I will not question!

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Actually, now that I think about it, it probably exists more for RAID controller manufucturers to save money on connectors on their boards.

Stereodude

Not really a
Based on some conversation I had with a buddy a while back I think the reverse one is different (not sure how / why).