Suggestions for changes/enhancements to storageforum

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tim, which type of mobile phone should I target for yours? I'll look for a BB style for ddrueding, and also an iPhone for those of us who have one of those.

I'm using a BlackBerry as well. I agree that detecting user-agent is probably the best way to go.

Handruin

Administrator
I have the tool installed, but I first need to find a good BB template so that I can try to make it auto detect. I have a marginal iPhone template and a bare bones mobile installed. Now I just need to find a BB template.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
A Palm Pre (webOS / Webkit) template would be nice, but in all likelihood the iPhone template will work on it.

Handruin

Administrator
A demo of an iPhone template (and another mobile template) is already installed if you want to try it. You can change the forum style at the very bottom left corner if you scroll all the way down. This is a manual change for right now until I make the auto-detect active.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I didn't see a "New Posts" link in the iPod template. Did I miss it or is it not there? I rely on that function every time I visit.

ddrueding

Fixture
The regular mobile template is fine for me. In addition to the "New Post" button on top, I would love the results of that page to include the "last post" jump button. Reading is easy, navigating not so much.

Thanks!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I like the new mobile theme. It's much faster on my blackberry. One thing I would change is when clicking on new posts it would take me to the first unread post, rather than the top of the thread.

The other problem I have is when viewing the default theme I can't switch to another theme without enabling javascript first. This isn't a huge deal because it remembers my theme through a cookie.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
If you can go to the web site, and scroll a bit, then you may be able to get to the new posts page. From there make a favorite that goes there automatically and start StorageForum from that page.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll tinker with them when I get back into the country. I'm away for the week with limited internet time.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Suggestion: Enhance the Search option so that when Search is clicked the the text cursor is positioned in the text entry field so you can start typing right away.

I'm talking about the Search option in the menu bar when you're logged in, not the generic search w/capcha that is used when you aren't logged in.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Hey Doug, can you look into having the links in new posts in the Mobi theme go to the first new post?

Handruin

Administrator
Hey Doug, can you look into having the links in new posts in the Mobi theme go to the first new post?

I'm trying to figure this out to make sure it'll do what you're asking. When using that theme, a link is currently set to something like this:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7905

When I tried that link, it'll only take me to a new post if there actually is a new post in a given thread. When you click on a thread, does it only take you to the first post rather than the first unread? The first time it takes me to the first unread but the next time it won't take me there.

Handruin

Administrator
Suggestion: Enhance the Search option so that when Search is clicked the the text cursor is positioned in the text entry field so you can start typing right away.

I'm talking about the Search option in the menu bar when you're logged in, not the generic search w/capcha that is used when you aren't logged in.

I assume you're talking about this search box, correct? I'll see if i can figure out some javascript to move the mouse over to the text field. I'm a bit rusty with JS.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm trying to figure this out to make sure it'll do what you're asking. When using that theme, a link is currently set to something like this:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7905

When I tried that link, it'll only take me to a new post if there actually is a new post in a given thread. When you click on a thread, does it only take you to the first post rather than the first unread? The first time it takes me to the first unread but the next time it won't take me there.

I think the best way would be to use an anchor that would would move to the first unread post. That's what happens when I click the little image to the left of links on the "New Posts" page when using the default theme.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I assume you're talking about this search box, correct? I'll see if i can figure out some javascript to move the mouse over to the text field. I'm a bit rusty with JS.

You can do this by setting focus on the input by ID.

The function would look like this:
Code:
function setFocus(id) {
     var element = document.getElementById(id);
     if (element && element.focus) {
          element.focus();
     }
}

Then just run the function and pass the input ID when the search link is clicked.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think the best way would be to use an anchor that would would move to the first unread post. That's what happens when I click the little image to the left of links on the "New Posts" page when using the default theme.

The attached image shows what I'm talking about if I wasn't clear.

Handruin

Administrator
The attached image shows what I'm talking about if I wasn't clear.

I tried a slightly different way, but the net result is the same. Can you take a look and see if it does what you requested? I implement an arrow icon (slightly different) and it goes to the first unread post of the thread using anchors.

Handruin

Administrator
You can do this by setting focus on the input by ID.

The function would look like this:
Code:
function setFocus(id) {
     var element = document.getElementById(id);
          element.focus();
     }
}

Then just run the function and pass the input ID when the search link is clicked.

I get how this works, but trying to get this into the vbtemplate system, I'm not sure how to make it work. I found this existing code in the template:

Code:
<td class="vbmenu_control">
<a id="navbar_search" href="search.php$session[sessionurl_q]" accesskey="4" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[search]</a> 
<if condition="$show['quicksearch']">
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("navbar_search");</script></if></td>

I think that JS is what calls the menu to pop open. I altered your JS a little bit because the menu which opens contains a text field registered without an ID value. I changed the JS to look for a name field instead (maybe this is the wrong approach?).

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function setFocus(name) {
     var element = document.getElementByName(name);
          element.focus();
     }
}
// -->
</script>

Then I called:

Code:
<a id="navbar_search" href="search.php$session[sessionurl_q]" accesskey="4" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[search]</a> 
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("navbar_search");  setFocus("query");</script></if></td>

Side question:

Should the 'if' statement check that the search field is currently not in focus before setting focus? I'm assuming that 'element.focus' returns a boolean and that its the value of the current focus.

Code:
<!--
     if (element && [COLOR="Red"]!element.focus[/COLOR]) {
          element.focus();
     }
}
// -->
</script>

Thanks for the help so far with this.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I get how this works, but trying to get this into the vbtemplate system, I'm not sure how to make it work. I found this existing code in the template:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("navbar_search");</script></if></td>

I think that JS is what calls the menu to pop open. I altered your JS a little bit because the menu which opens contains a text field registered without an ID value. I changed the JS to look for a name field instead (maybe this is the wrong approach?).

Code:
<!--
          element.focus();
     }
}
// -->
</script>

There's no function getElementByName. There is getElementsByName, which returns an array. You could just assume there is only one element with that name and use element[0].

Then I called:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("navbar_search");  setFocus("query");</script></if></td>

I think that setFocus is going to run on page load, not when when they click on Search. You probably could use an event like onmouseup="setFocus("query");" and put that on the search link.

Side question:

Should the 'if' statement check that the search field is currently not in focus before setting focus? I'm assuming that 'element.focus' returns a boolean and that its the value of the current focus.

Code:
<!--
     if (element && [COLOR="Red"]!element.focus[/COLOR]) {
          element.focus();
     }
}
// -->
</script>

I didn't write that function originally, but I tested it just now and element.focus does not return a boolean based on the current focus. I believe it tests to see if the element has the ability to focus. You probably don't need that at all for this.

Thanks for the help so far with this.

No problem.

ddrueding

Fixture
I tried a slightly different way, but the net result is the same. Can you take a look and see if it does what you requested? I implement an arrow icon (slightly different) and it goes to the first unread post of the thread using anchors.

This works perfectly for me. Thanks!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This works perfectly for me. Thanks!

I just tested it and it works for me as well. Though, it would be nice if the anchor was placed above the person that posted, so that you could see who posted without having to scroll up. Now I'm really nitpicking.

Handruin

Administrator
That's good feedback. I'll try to move the anchor to where you suggested. Moving it isn't that big a deal now that I know where it goes in the template system.

Handruin

Administrator
It's just the way this forum software works like David said. If you don't want your conversation to be public, use a PM instead.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That's good feedback. I'll try to move the anchor to where you suggested. Moving it isn't that big a deal now that I know where it goes in the template system.

Hey Doug, I've been using the new link you added, but it seems to just go to the last post in a thread rather than the last unread post in a thread like the button on the "New Posts" page does. Any way to fix this?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's just the way this forum software works like David said. If you don't want your conversation to be public, use a PM instead.

OK. I wonder if they did it on purpose. Oh well.

LunarMist

Do you know what that number represents? It is the number of times that my profile page was viewed at that time. ;) Yet there is nothing of interest, such as political rant or request for a crack.

Last edited:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have 1,410. If you factor out search engines and bots, how many visits by real people were there?

And FYI, there appears to be a profile privacy option to restrict visitor messages to registered users (or contacts or friends).

Maybe everything on that page should default to registered users rather than everyone.

LunarMist

Is there some time limit even when responding to different threads? I lost two replies tonight. It's crazy, man.

Handruin

Administrator
Not that I know of. Maybe there was a glitch with the forum or apache server. Maybe it's time for a reboot, but the resources seem ok. THe swap file isn't even being touched and the load averages are low.

root@host [~]# uptime
01:35:42 up 537 days, 3:07, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.01

Code:
top - 01:36:21 up 537 days,  3:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.04, 0.01
Tasks:  52 total,   1 running,  51 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  1.0%us,  0.2%sy,  0.0%ni, 98.6%id,  0.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    262144k total,   171472k used,    90672k free,        0k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,        0k cached

Handruin

Administrator
Not since the migration, but keep in mind I also had this hosting provider for quite some time an I did nothing with it. I procrastinated for a good 6-8 months before moving us over.

LunarMist

Why are the options for new topic thread prefixes different in various forums? For example, in Computers the only option is question, whereas in P&B the options are photo, problem or update. There is no prefix option at all in Tech Support. Can they be made consistent without much effort?