Suggestions for changes/enhancements to storageforum

Handruin

Administrator
I made a guess when creating them. Yes, they can be made consistent without much effort.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Is there anyone here that finds the Bookmarks block at the end of each thread of any value? I really don't see a need to advertise Digg, del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, or Google unless we are getting a cut somehow.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Not me. Wasn't there a thing somewhere about Google being able to track something if you had their link on your site?

They can't track you through a simple link. Though they can track everything on this site because it's using Google Analytics.

Handruin

Administrator
I've removed them since they're probably not used. Their purpose was to help promote SF if people wanted to share threads. The feature comes with vbulletin, it wasn't anything special added. The idea is (for example) if you wanted to share a valuable thread, you could post it to Digg by easily clicking the associated link at the bottom of a given thread. The link being there doesn't really promote them or cause some kind of tracking. It was mainly for convenience.

There is no facebook integration on this forum. I really dislike those FB tracking buttons when you go to other websites that enable them. Timwhit is correct, google analytics is enabled on SF.

Handruin

Administrator
Is it supposed to block Google Analytics? You can define your own blocked sites if you feel you need to block it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The standard URLs don't appear in the blockable list, otherwise it would be already.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, but I already new that. That's how I know that standard URLs aren't in the blockable list for me.

It appears that Google Analytics is only activated on the site if you are not logged-in. When I'm logged-in, you know who I am and where I go already.

Handruin

Administrator
OK, so if you want the standard list to block Google Analytics, you might need to go mention that on their forums or email lists. I don't have any control over that.

Perhaps while you're logged in it's possible to know where you go, but it's not something I actively watch or track. The same is true for those who aren't logged in. Apache log tracks the requests of IPs just like any website would.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The lists already block it. The forum just doesn't appear to be using it when I'm logged in.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Handy's name says "nVidia > AMD" under it right now. Is that a user-editable field that could be exposed to us?

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, it's called a custom title and it's located under: "user CP > Edit your details". I enabled it if you want to play with it.

I had set that title months ago when you were arguing with me about AMD vs nVidia. I'm surprised it took this long for you to notice. I forgot I had made that change. lol

Handruin

Administrator
"Fatwah on Western Digital"

Can you clarify? I'm sure it's negative knowing you, but based on looking up the definition, it doesn't make sense. Saying Fatwah on WD, just says to me "Opinion/ruling on WD" with no opinion stated. Is the de facto Fatwah a ruling of war?

Also, what is the difference between Fatwa and Fatwah? Many search results try to auto-correct to Fatwa.

"(Islam) a legal opinion or ruling issued by an Islamic scholar; "bin Laden issued three fatwahs calling upon Muslims to take up arms against the United States"

Mercutio

Also, what is the difference between Fatwa and Fatwah? Many search results try to auto-correct to Fatwa.

As with many things that translate from Arabic, I believe both spellings are acceptable.

Originally I was going to state that it and its products are the corporate equivalent to pederasty but the text field isn't that big.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I know he does not desire the WD drives, yet they were flooded already. That will not help anything or anybody.

Mercutio

My crusade will only be ended when everyone who has ever owned stock in or worked for Western Digital issues a collective apology in the form of seppuku.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I was examining the new software and looked at the calendar. For some reason that I don't know it won't go newer than Dec 2006. If there is going to be a calendar function, it would seem to me more valuable if it can actually at least get to the current date.

Please don't consider this to be a priority for I have access to other calendars. I just wanted to include it in whatever bug or to-do list you have.

Handruin

Administrator
I was examining the new software and looked at the calendar. For some reason that I don't know it won't go newer than Dec 2006. If there is going to be a calendar function, it would seem to me more valuable if it can actually at least get to the current date.

Please don't consider this to be a priority for I have access to other calendars. I just wanted to include it in whatever bug or to-do list you have.

Fixed. After looking into this, it looks like the forum is capable of having numerous calendars (we only had one defined). The default time span for a calendar is 6 years. What you saw was the old calendar that was never revised with a newer date range. I've deleted that calendar and defined a new one with an updated date range. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. let me know if you find anything else.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The old forums had a feature I liked that this one doesn't. Specifically when searching for new posts and failing to find any it gave the option of showing all the threads that have changed in the last 24 hours. The current forums simply give a link to the search capability which give me nothing beyond me pressing the search button so I have to construct the 24 hour search manually.

Handruin

Administrator
What is the difference between the 2 mobile themes? Hard to tell.

There is no difference...or at least there shouldn't be. The reason there are two themes listed is that the forum software provides the option to configure a theme for modern smart phones and for older smart phones. I've set this theme to apply to both since I don't have a "classic" theme to use for older smart phones.

ddrueding

Fixture
Can I put in a request that clicking on a thread in the mobile app jump to the new posts? IIRC, this was the behavior in the old version.

Handruin

Administrator
Can I put in a request that clicking on a thread in the mobile app jump to the new posts? IIRC, this was the behavior in the old version.

I believe this function is already there if you click the right-most arrow next to the thread name. This should take you to the first unread post in a thread.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Handy, how hard would it be to move the left edge of that arrow button to the left an 1/8". It would be nice if it were a bit wider under the mobile theme.

Handruin

Administrator
Handy, how hard would it be to move the left edge of that arrow button to the left an 1/8". It would be nice if it were a bit wider under the mobile theme.

I'll take a look. I have no idea (yet) how to edit the mobile style.

ddrueding

Fixture
The arrows on the right works like that for me.

I suspect it is just my crappy phone (Android 1.5 - Opera browser, the built-in browser crashes on the new site and FF isn't compatible this far back). It even sent me back to the top when I pressed "reply" then ate my post after I has scrolled all the way back to the bottom!

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
At the forum level the arrows on the right don't do anything but if you are in a forum looking at threads the arrow on the right of each thread bring you to the new posts for that thread. Works for me anyway. The layout works and I wouldn't want to scrunch the text up too much, most thread titles are already three and four lines. I was on the fence after using the full site on my phone too much but the mobile default theme works well.

Handruin

Administrator
At the forum level the arrows on the right don't do anything but if you are in a forum looking at threads the arrow on the right of each thread bring you to the new posts for that thread. Works for me anyway. The layout works and I wouldn't want to scrunch the text up too much, most thread titles are already three and four lines. I was on the fence after using the full site on my phone too much but the mobile default theme works well.

I forgot to add what you just wrote; thanks for clarifying that the right-most arrow does operate differently at the highest forum level. In fact it is linked in with the text where as once you drill down, it's a separate URL link.

ddrueding, maybe your phone is an example of why they allow for multiple mobile styles. I don't have any specific configuration to tell the forum which browsers or mobile versions get sent to an alternate style. The logic must be embedded in the code.