Sun Microsystem's Special Dell Offer

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
http://www.sun.com/emrkt/x64tradeup/index.html

Sun said:
Trade in any qualified Dell server and get a 20% trade-up allowance off the list price on eligible new Sun Fire X4100 and X4200 servers with 3-year support services. That's a potential savings of up to $1,900 on new entry level Sun servers that have 1.5 times the performance of Xeon-based Dell servers.* Sun Fire X4100 and X4200 servers also offer up to 56% savings in power and cooling costs per year over comparable Dell servers.**

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sun claims that Windows 2003 Server (Standard and Enterprise) are supported.

I agree that they have potential. Unfortunately they are not offered in anything other than rack-mount: Me annoyed with this limitation.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've found that rackmount hardware sits on a counter-top just fine. :)

I understand that, for the workstations, the 2100wz and the like, the basic platform is a Tyan motherboard with a highly customized BIOS, but the servers throw away all reference designs in favor of something built entirely in-house by Sun. I'd love to play with 'em regardless.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
the servers throw away all reference designs in favor of something built entirely in-house by Sun. I'd love to play with 'em regardless.

This is what I've heard as well, and why I typically shy away from prebuilt servers, but Sun has a heck of a hardware reputation. The fact that they now make something that I'm interested in playing with makes it even better. I used to have some UltraSpac 20s lying around, but I really didn't appreciate them to their capacity.