SuSE 8.0

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
This new version sounds very tempting. Have the recent updates improved the way typestyles are rendered? Plus it is cheaper the RedHat.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck,

So how's KDE 3 compared to KDE 2.x? Reading the press release of Suse 8.0, it seems to be very up to date. Have you remarked any improvements in the performance/stability of the Kernel 2.4.18 compared to the previous ones?

I see very few reasons to spend 40U$ for Suse when Mandrake is available for free though. Ok, it might be a bit more bloated, but you just can't beat the price.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Buck,

So how's KDE 3 compared to KDE 2.x? Reading the press release of Suse 8.0, it seems to be very up to date. Have you remarked any improvements in the performance/stability of the Kernel 2.4.18 compared to the previous ones?

I see very few reasons to spend 40U$ for Suse when Mandrake is available for free though. Ok, it might be a bit more bloated, but you just can't beat the price.

I personally have not used it, hence my inquiry to the group.

Purchasing the product is not an issue for me if it truly is comparable to WindowsXP. I'd begin a series of tests, if the recommendation is superb, and see how it installs on the systems I build, along with SuSE's packaged software. WindowsXP is just soooo expensive, selling it is difficult when customers know someone who will install it for free. It would be nice to offer an alternative OS that has passed by requirements.

BR

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
I think Mercutio would be the one to ask about anything Linux-related if you want to have a valuable opinion.

You're absolutely right Coug, and I've been waiting for his response to this thread! :lol:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And I wouldn't expect Suse 8.0 to be functional enough to make it a default OS for my boxes. It still isn't as easy to learn (relatively I mean) as Winblows. The press release mentioned that it has 1200 drivers included with it, not bad. But the problem is with new peripherals. Their drivers are always done first for Winblows, not for Linux.

IMO, Linux is still for geeks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
PPPPPPPbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt.

I don't use SuSE. I never have. Nor KDE3, although I have it installed (just a couple days ago, in fact). There are folks on SR (Hungarian) who swear by it. Personally I stick with RedHat.

KDE is a very comfy place for beginners assuming you have a pure KDE environment. One of the problems with KDE is that most of the linux distros out there also load some GNOME or other primitive-layer stuff on at the same time, and that's where you get the confusing mishmash of control panels and different levels of responsiveness...

As far as things go, you can do a lot worse than the current version of SuSE. It's the most current Linux distro out at the moment. I'm just not sure it's worth the $50 they want for it.

The font issue: I don't know how SuSE sets things up. It might be really easy and it might be really hard to set up fonts if the default isn't satisfactory. I've written long posts about it here and on SR. I know it's a hassle for newbies. I really wish it was easier.