Synology ds2015xs -review

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That's the unit I was looking at. What a ridiculous review. Nobody uses a RAID 5 of 8x120GB SSDs in such a device. :smack:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know what people expected from this unit. It uses a quad-core Cortex A-15 processor, which is significantly outguned by even an Atom C2750, or any Core i3. Of course, this NAS wouldn't be that fast. It performs right according to its price: slightly better than the Synology DS1815+.

Its most interesting feature is the presence of two SFP+ ports, but since it's underpowered, it cannot fully benefit from it, capping well below the interface limit. Not a bad NAs, not a great one either.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's the unit I was looking at. What a ridiculous review. Nobody uses a RAID 5 of 8x120GB SSDs in such a device. :smack:
I'm pretty sure the idea was to the benchmark the controller's and interface's capabilities which required removing the drives as a potential bottleneck. Hence the use of SSDs.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't know what people expected from this unit. It uses a quad-core Cortex A-15 processor, which is significantly outguned by even an Atom C2750, or any Core i3. Of course, this NAS wouldn't be that fast. It performs right according to its price: slightly better than the Synology DS1815+.

Its most interesting feature is the presence of two SFP+ ports, but since it's underpowered, it cannot fully benefit from it, capping well below the interface limit. Not a bad NAs, not a great one either.

If the 2015+ version can be used with the 10GbE eventually, it should be worth a little more than the 1815+.
In the worst case, I will trash the NASD and use the drives for something. The drives are most of the cost anyway.

Now I just have to wait for the next Dr. visit before proceeding.