System won't boot with USB Key/Mouse attached

ddrueding

Fixture
None of my new Shuttle XPS systems will boot if there is a USB keyboard/mouse attached. PS/2 works fine, none at all (plugging in USB after boot) works fine.

If the USB is connected to any port, either the progress bar halts permanently (normal mode) or safe mode halts at agp30xk.dll or something similar. I'm assuming the one after that is the culprit.

Anyone care to guess? I've tried 3 different key/mouse combos and will be trying a PS/2 key with a USB mouse tomorrow.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Most (all) systems have a BIOS setting to support/disable USB keyboard and mouse directly in the BIOS - i.e., without needing Windows or any driver sofware. What happens if you toggle those on and off? Oh, and reset the BIOS to the factory defaults too - that's always worth trying for all sorts of things..

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Could also be that the system's PSU in inadequate to the task of powering USB devices along with all the other crap you've put in those machines. Weren't you using some tiny, silent PSU?

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
Could also be that the system's PSU in inadequate to the task of powering USB devices along with all the other crap you've put in those machines. Weren't you using some tiny, silent PSU?

Not yet. I still have the stock PSU in there, which should be fine for a 3100+, 2.5" HDD, and 512MB.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tannin said:
Most (all) systems have a BIOS setting to support/disable USB keyboard and mouse directly in the BIOS - i.e., without needing Windows or any driver sofware. What happens if you toggle those on and off? Oh, and reset the BIOS to the factory defaults too - that's always worth trying for all sorts of things..

These actually don't. The only USB-related switch (that doesn't disable the plugs) is for whether USB drives should be treated as a floppy or a hard drive.

Reseting BIOS does nothing, flashing to latest does nothing.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
That is odd behavior. I run an XPC SD31P as a test system at my desk here at work and it is quite happy to run from a USB keyboard and Mouse. My work system doesn't run Windows though. I boot the test system through either PXE LAN boot or USB key.

At home I run an XPC SN26P under Windows XP Pro. It is connected through a USB KVM to a USB 2.0 mouse and USB 1.1 keyboard and through DVI to my monitor. I have never had any difficulty at boot time with it regardless of the number of USB devices attached. My home system is running an Athlon X2 4400+

Which model of shuttle are you running?

Free

ddrueding

Fixture
Specs as follows:

Shuttle SK21-G1-SV-V1 AMD Socket 754 VIA K8M800
AMD Sempron 3100+ Palermo 1600MHz HT Socket 754
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Travelstar 5K100 40GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Drive
BenQ 16x DVD+R DVD Burner Model DW1625