The Best Mice are back...

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've never used one of those, although heard good things about them. Are they really that good?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I greived greatly when someone spilled wine on my mouse, and killed it :cry:

I'm using a Logictech, which isn't bad. However, when going up against Xaero, I really like the Boomslang, and, it just got more comfortable after awhile. ONly problem is the ball gets dirty, but, since it's under your palm, that seems to happen less for some reason.

Just ordered two. Let you know if they have the software down, and how it works...

s

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
I greived greatly when someone spilled wine on my mouse, and killed it :cry:

I'm using a Logictech, which isn't bad. However, when going up against Xaero, I really like the Boomslang, and, it just got more comfortable after awhile. ONly problem is the ball gets dirty, but, since it's under your palm, that seems to happen less for some reason.

Just ordered two. Let you know if they have the software down, and how it works...

s

Mine always seem to take a beer dip. At least they die happy. For some reason they scamper away from my wine spills :). Anyway, What makes these Razor vermin good?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
RAZER does a pretty good job of describing that on their website. In games, you get percise targeting, without skipping over your target, thanks to the high dpi rating. It's also easier on your wrist, since you don't have to move it as much. The Boomslang line just worked great, and fit my hand better then any other mouse. I do like the current Logitech mouse I'm using, and I love an XLR8 mouse for the mac.

http://www.razerzone.com/reviews.html

The only draw back was the expense with the Boomslang, at 100 dollars, but, it lasted a really long time, until it got into a glass of wine. Throwing it out was one of the hardest things I've done with a computer component.

This pretty much says it all:

http://www.twistedmods.com/article.php?artid=273

For a video of a review go here:

http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/razer/viper_mouse/video_review_03.html

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It just dawned on me why I like the mouse so much. I'm lefthanded, and I have to have nuetral mouses, or designed left handed.

s

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
It just dawned on me why I like the mouse so much. I'm lefthanded, and I have to have nuetral mouses, or designed left handed.

s

I'm not left handed, but I use my mouse with my left hand. The Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse Blue works pretty well for me, it can be used with either hand without discomfort. It does skip a little bit if it is moved too fast. But, it only cost $25. Microsoft stopped making it, but you can still find new ones on eBay. Logitech also stopped making the keyboard that I like.

Why do the god damn peripheral makers always have to stop making the simple good products and introduce mice that have 11 buttons and keyboards that have countless useless features?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm left handed. That means that I type a lot more keys - about 3/4 of the keyboard, actually, with my left hand. It makes perfect sense to me that I'd want to use the secondary input device with my secondary hand.

Hence, I mouse right-handed. Just like 98% of the computer-using world.

And actually, I don't mouse. I trackball with a TrackMan Marble+, which is indeed the greatest pointing device known to man.

As for "premium" mice and keyboards, I don't get it either. I'm perfectly happy with a Dell Quietkey or even a plain old Mitsumi keyboard. I don't see the need for 20 extra buttons on a keyboard or (shudder) mouse.

Particular annoyances:
"Web Browser Back" button on a mouse. That one is a lot of fun to hit on accident. Besides, is ALT-rightarrow REALLY that hard?

Cut/Copy/Paste keys: the height of laziness. I can either hit CTRL-X/C/V OR I can go hunting for those oddly placed keys that're making my space bar smaller. Hmm...

Email key: Key to launch e-mail. But only if the program you're using is outlook or outlook express. And, again, this is a key beyond the reach of my fingers when I'm typing, so there's probably more actual work involved in using that key than reaching over to my mouse and clicking.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I point and shoot with my left hand and the mouse, and use the right to move, jump etc. using the up and down arrows.
I use a MSFT internet keyboard, and currently the logitech mouse.

For some reason, at maximum dpi for the mouse, I have a better chance of Fragging Xaero. Only took me one time to beat him, admittedly on I can win setting, but, I'm not a constant gamer.

I did take him out with a number of long, rail gun shots, that I usually don't make. I may have to move up from novice/begginer, to a higher level, finally.

I've found most games are setup to move using the keypad, and thus right hand, and the mouse is your left hand.

s

Grim

What is this storage?
timwhit said:
Why do the god damn peripheral makers always have to stop making the simple good products and introduce mice that have 11 buttons and keyboards that have countless useless features?

Well, sorry to say, but one of my coworkers explained it to me. "It's just to annoy *you*." I'm sorry I'm so much fun to annoy; believe me, it annoys me at *least* as much as it does you. Thank goodness I have unusual tastes, or more people would be put out by this.

Currently, I'm using a USB wireless trackball with 10 buttons plus a wheel (which is, of course, also a button), which I got simply for the USB functionality; I'd have much preferred a simple USB version of Kensington's four button 'Expert Mouse' trackball, but they didn't have that. As the cost was, in fact, the same, I decided to get this thing anyway. So far, I've really used, well, three buttons. Oh, btw, I only got the 'Expert Mouse' because I was looking for a trackball of approximately that size, with a center-mounted ball, and at least three buttons, as I'm a unix geek.

As far as extra keys, I use a Kinesis keyboard whenever possible, so typical computer users have 16 more keys than I have. Admittedly, I did get the programmable version.

Like Merc, I'm a lefty that uses the "mouse" right-handed, although I personally can't fathom how most right-handed programmers manage using the mouse right-handed. I can only guess that's a lot of what's behind the push to move to point-n-click programming. Otherwise, I can't imagine any real programmer actually working on such a language.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have tried five other mice of various types, but keep returning to the same old PS/2 wheeled Intellimouse from the 90s. That is one item that MS did right.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've just purchased 13 mice.. most of them were ms intellimice (?) however, i also got a few logitech wheel mice. The logitech ones are vastly superior.

1) They get dirty slower, 2) they glide smoother and track batter 3) they have more consistancy between mice (wheel pressure and tracking), and 4) I think they are more comfortable in addition to being neutral to people of either handedness..

My optical intellimouse explorer seems to be dying and you can bet I'm not going to replace it with another MS mouse...

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm a big fan of my MX700 at home and my MX500s at work. My next mouse will likely be the MX900. For those that don't know these mice; they are all the same except the 900 is bluetooth, 700 is "wireless", and 500 is wired. Really great mice IMHO, and the wireless ones are rechargeable in an included cradle that doubles as the base station.

Not good for lefties, though.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DD:
You run a gaming rig. Get RAZER mouses. If you don't like the difference, your customers will.

s

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
LunarMist said:
I have tried five other mice of various types, but keep returning to the same old PS/2 wheeled Intellimouse from the 90s. That is one item that MS did right.

I'm still using Intellimouse 1.0 and 1.1A, the former I got back on 27th October 1998 :D

I'm so used to them anything else feels annoying. Opticals I find glide along too easily and are very light.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm on my 3rd mouse in 20 years. Well, 19.5. Bought a Logitech C7 in late '84 and used it until the early 90s. Gave it to my sister who used it up until maybe 3 years ago. 17 years and it was still working. I replaced it with a MouseMan something-or-other and used it until I got my current MX-700. My wife uses the MouseMan now.

Logitech all the way. I don't think you can top the durability and overall ergonomics.

My only gripe is that the MX700 can't be used easily left-handed and I prefer to use a left-hander at work and a right-hander at home. I don't mind the extra weight, especially since I don't have the cable to contend with. I'm also still on the original rechargeable batteries that came with the mouse.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Although this is all being said in fun, it would be nice to have one standard for all devices plugged into the motherboard. Just think of how simple that would be! Granted, there may be some loose ends that cannot be converted to a single standard such as audio since it must be compatible with non-PC audio components, but all internal drives (including FDD) and almost all external peripherals could be applied to this one new-and-improved standard. Each device would be intelligent enough to identify to the host what it is, and the host would be intelligent enough to deal with these devices regardless of which one of the identical ports they're plugged in to. If this ends up being SCSI, so be it. :D

Grim

What is this storage?
P5-133XL said:
Can I please have a SCSI monitor with that SCSI mouse?

Ok, thinking about the Amiga, and then seeing this post next... what kind of processing power would that monitor and mouse have? Would their command sets allow for some utilization of those resources?

I would assume that the monitor would have a sufficiently large buffer to hold at least two maximum resolution screens, although I have no such high hopes for the mouse. I would also assume that the monitor would not receive updates for portions of the screen that were not changing? Or would it completely integrate the video card, such that you send all the video card commands through the SCSI channel, and it worries about how to render them? That could eliminate "problems" of not having a good enough video card to drive ones monitor, or not having a good enough monitor to show off ones video card...