The IBM Deskstar 120GXP took a dive on my price list.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
From 190$CDN to only 168$CDN for the 80GB model in a single week. That's ~123U$ to 109U$. The IBM used to be the most expensive (by ~10-20%) drive on the market and now they are cheaper than the Maxtor. Do you think it's because IBM has problem to sell their units because of all the bad press they got from the 75GXP fiasco?

I admit I'm temped. At that price, IF the 120GXP is to be decently reliable (still too early to tell), it's the best bargain on storage nowadays. It faster than the comparable Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital (execpt for the Special Edition variety) and not very noisy. I think I'll give a shot at a few of them.

Would you?

Handruin

Administrator
Another thing to think about, why not buy 2 of them and run in RAID 1? This way if one does die, they other will die too....no, seriously, if the price is good enough, it could make for a cheap mirroring solution, no?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've been watching the price on newegg.com. I've seen the prices drop probably 25% since the drive was introduced. Un-freaking-real.

I still have TWO 75GB 75GXPs that have worked without interruption since I bought them. Of course, I think I've only had that machine off twice since I put them in, but still.

Anyway, I'm waiting for about another 10 - 15% drop before I'd consider buying any, and then only for storage of replaceable data (.vob files and the like). But at $106 for the 80GB 740X, I'd need the 80GB 120GXP under $90 before I think I'd be willing to take anyone up on that drive.

Of course, I go and look on pricewatch, and Royal Computer (I've bought some motherboards from them) is selling the 80GB 120GXP for $99 shipped. I paid that for WD800ABs just a month ago.

I'm absolutely certain that the comments in the storagereview forums - which I've seen cited on slashdot and arstechnica and anandtech, have a great deal with IBM's fall from market prominence.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My estimate is that IBM drives are losing popularity because it is becoming widespread information that IBM is selling their HDD business to Hitachi....people are probably worried about warranty etc.

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fuc***g bunch of half-@$$ stupid bastards!!! I took care to call the place where I was about to buy the Deskstar and they told me they had plenty in stock and I didn't have to worry if I would come in the early afternoon to pick up a drive. What happened when I went there 1 hour and a half later? Nope, no drive at all. !"¢¢¾¬¦£@%!!!!!!! Just a bunch of lazy peddlers occupied to talk about they they meanless lives and totally clueless why someone told me they had it stock.

ARRGGGHH!!! Too bad there are cameras there, I would have taken no prisonners. I first ask about the drive to a dummy (The first time I went there, that same lame ignorant told me that it makes no difference if a CD-ROM reader has a maximum advertized speed of 40x or 52X because, according to his endless knowledge, no CD-ROM reader can read quicker than 36X, and he wasn't talking about the average transfer speed - I told him we learn something new each day) on the other side of the counter. Negative answer. Because I insisted, he turned to "the local pro of the shop" (a know-it-all arch-peddler that everyone could mistake for a car seller) who told me the same thing. He then asked me if I would like a 60+ instead. I answered that I wanted a 80GB drive. He just told me that he had a 80GB 60+ in stock, not remarking that I looked at him like he if was escaped from a psy hospital. I then asked him what is a 60+ for him. He replied (as if I was the clueless customer) that it was a Maxtor. An 80GB Maxtor 60+, yeah right. The imbecile probably memorized the model number of the last generation of Maxtor drives and will use it untill mainstream drives reach 300GB capacities.

I turned back and exit the store before I kill someone. All these knowledge-free peddlers have qualified to become HP vomit box sellers in my book, but they have no business in the DIY market. And don't tell them they are wrong, they ARE the professionals and you're the know-nothing guy. I'm lucky not to carry a weapon on myself and to drive a small car, or else I would currently be driving North in search of a lost spot to deposit the five corpses in large green bags that would be on my back seat.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
headbanger.gif

CNN Sport

What is this storage?
"Dave, I think we have it!"

"Sure do, Ed!"

"Viewers, you might just have been witness to the Rant of the Year."

"And you saw it right here on CNN Sport."

"We'll be right back after this station break."

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
..."And you saw it right here on CNN Sport." "We'll be right back after this commercial break."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

steven_main.jpg

"Dude, your getting a DELL!"
Oh, Really! That's funny as hell, since I build my own damn computers!

headbanger.gif

computer90.jpg

"AOL! It's just the BEST!"
Ya, best at charging my credit card, even after I've discontinued your suck-ass busy-signal service seven months ago!

headbanger.gif

20010215corp_2.gif

"Pentium IV! What are you waiting for"
I'm waiting for your buddy Rambus to go titsup, what the hell else?

headbanger.gif

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Finally...I came back with my drive.

Once again, I called to insure that one of their two stores (they have two addresses in Montréal's area) had the drive stock. I then headed to the store, bringing a shovel in my car just in case, and once again, they had none in stock half an hour later when I arrived (
bibber.gif
). After showing a bit of my displeasure about the poor communication between their phone and stocking departments, I quit and headed to the second store (the one with the five dummy peddlers).

To my greatest surprise, they had it in stock :eek: So I finally had my drive and I didn't have to use my shovel. It's been a bit too complicated (and hard for my blood pressure) to my taste though. Oh well, if the drive works fine (I haven't test it yet, it better not be DOA), it won't be that bad.